Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost and found: What are the chances?
08-22-2012, 05:04 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Lost and found: What are the chances?
[Image: uE0GK.jpg?1]

I have never experienced the trauma of losing a dog. Yet.

There are, of course, a lot of other people who are not so lucky. The ASPCA did a study of more than 1000 households to find out more about these "Lost and Found" incidents. One interesting finding was that more than 90% of the dogs which were reported lost were re-united again with their families. This compares favorably to just about 75% recovery for lost cats.

More information here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11...62860.html

Have you ever experienced losing your dog? And did you get it back again? Please share your experiences.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM,
writer811 Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Lost and found: What are the chances?
I lost my rottweiler when I was a lot younger. My cousin helped me make a bunch of flyers and we put them up in as many places as we could for about ten square miles. A couple of days later we got her back, though not from the flyers. My dad was driving around one day and he saw her walking by the side of the road. I was so very happy about that.
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
This has not happened to me. Though, it's happened to others in the family. My brother had his SUV stolen last year with two of his dogs and one of his cats in the back in their crates. Thankfully, the SUV was recovered 12 hours later with the animals inside. Despite some trauma, they were all fine. The thieves even gave them food and water.

It was heartbreaking. Everyone worried about them all day. We were so worried that they would just dump the crates with the animals in them off on some road.

Victor, I wonder if microchipping is making a dent in the ability to reunite pets with their families.
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(08-22-2012, 05:04 AM)Victor Leigh Wrote: [Image: uE0GK.jpg?1]

I have never experienced the trauma of losing a dog. Yet.

There are, of course, a lot of other people who are not so lucky. The ASPCA did a study of more than 1000 households to find out more about these "Lost and Found" incidents. One interesting finding was that more than 90% of the dogs which were reported lost were re-united again with their families. This compares favorably to just about 75% recovery for lost cats.

More information here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11...62860.html

Have you ever experienced losing your dog? And did you get it back again? Please share your experiences.

I am quite curious as to why the picture said with HUGE BALLS.

Anyway, here in our country, pets usually come home on their own unless for circumstances such as being found by people who will chain them. In fact, most households here have their dogs roaming around everywhere even through roads. They simply come back to where they know food will constantly appear on their plate.

I thought we lost our dog once. He was a juvenile when he ran away from the house. After 2 or 3 years later, he came home a grown up dog. At first I would not have thought it was him but then I compared the pictures of our juvenile dog who ran away due to being too scared of the fireworks and him. They had the same distinct marks which just brought us so much joy.
08-23-2012, 02:14 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(08-22-2012, 11:49 AM)TreeClimber Wrote: This has not happened to me. Though, it's happened to others in the family. My brother had his SUV stolen last year with two of his dogs and one of his cats in the back in their crates. Thankfully, the SUV was recovered 12 hours later with the animals inside. Despite some trauma, they were all fine. The thieves even gave them food and water.

It was heartbreaking. Everyone worried about them all day. We were so worried that they would just dump the crates with the animals in them off on some road.

Victor, I wonder if microchipping is making a dent in the ability to reunite pets with their families.

I have read a few cases where the dogs were found a long way away from their homes and it's the microchips which helped them to become re-united with their families. I think it's a worthwhile investment, especially if the dog is a pure-bred which costs a lot of money to buy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metal Fragments Found by U.S. FDA on Some Pedigree® Dog Food Bags Snowflakes 2 3,224 10-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Cat found the owner's new home miles away Ram 2 3,146 05-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Lost Bird reunited with owner after told the police of her address and phone number Thor 8 4,364 08-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady