LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a new rescue at our household...
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM by Fishbone.)
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
a new rescue at our household...
So, I admit, I regularly scan craigslist. Mostly to flag proven flippers. But also to check for any animals I can take in. Our resources are limited, and I am a bit picky, but I like to take in animals if I think its something that would fit here, and that I could give a safe home to. So this girl was described as being "aggressive". She's been here 4 days now, and its a shining example of why boas make great pets so far. She is sweet as candy. I was apprehensive the owners might be flippers after meeting them, and I actually did give a little cash after looking at her. I've got their info on file now, so I'll see if this its a repetitive pattern for them.

But I digress, here is our newest family member, a boa, who may be of genuine hogg island (Cayos los Cochinos) locality, or maybe pearl island, or some type of cross. There its no way to know for sure, but it really doesn't matter in the end. Just like all the abandoned cats and dogs of the world, she deserves a home, and she fits here, so everybody is happy so far, lol Smile. She is tentatively named "piggy".

[Image: 108207_242191_Large_gEYZEJH7coxq.jpg]

[Image: 108207_242192_Large_XMUTzmpeC5tYGu.jpg]

She its quarantined as far away as possible from everything else in the house. I gave the owners a bit of money, as she does appear healthy, and if she works out to be what she appears to be, I got a great deal. She has already eaten, and seems as sweet as a kitten. I an waiting for the other shoe to drop, and her aggressive
side to appear. But I don't think it's there. They must have been mishandling her. Or my wifey is right and I really am the snake whisperer, lol.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 06:35 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: a new rescue at our household...
Nice new addition. She is a beautiful snake. Why would the owner want to get rid of her? May I ask how much did you pay for her?

This quarantine procedure is also used in aquarium hobby. We typically quarantine everything new from anywhere between 2~6 weeks just so they won't spread potential diseases and parasites among the existing pets we already have.
Do you always quarantine new snakes and lizards? How long do you quarantine them?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2012, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM by Fishbone.)
Fishbone Offline

I don't know if you remember some of the older posts we had on reptile diseases, but there are many, and allot of them can take time to diagnose, and some species can harbor diseases, acting as a carrier, that well evolve much more quickly in other species. My main concern here with her being a boa, (Boa constrictor imperator), there is always a chance of IBD, which could wipe out the pythons and tree boas here quickly. So, quarantine is very important with multiple reptiles. I even quarantine animals if they come from people I know have very closed private collections. Better safe than sorry.

I'll keep her quarantined at least 3 months, maybe longer, being I have no history on her I trust. The girl giving her up said she was cage aggressive, and they didn't have the time to calm her down. That seems to be pretty far from the truth so far, but you never know. I think they were trying to make a buck on her.
08-26-2012, 01:00 AM,
supergirl Offline

Threads: 0
Wow, she is beautiful! I would class mine as slightly aggressive as well, but do you think this is a behaviour that calms down as they get larger? Is it something that comes from them being small and nervous?
08-26-2012, 01:10 PM,
Fishbone Offline

(08-26-2012, 01:00 AM)supergirl Wrote: Wow, she is beautiful! I would class mine as slightly aggressive as well, but do you think this is a behaviour that calms down as they get larger? Is it something that comes from them being small and nervous?

In my experience, it varies depending on the species of snake and the individual animal. Many snakes are more defensive as babies and calm as they get bigger. You have to remember, to a small snake, your huge, and all he's thinking is, "Don't eat me!" What kind of snake do you have supergirl?
09-02-2012, 08:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012, 08:22 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

Glad you were able to give her a new home, Mr Snake Whisperer/Fishbone! Wink She looks beautiful. Hope it all works out well, and she turns out to be healthy and sweet natured. I'd be so nervous about exposing my existing "babies" to anything, so I'm glad you're so cautious with a long quarantine time.
I'm curious - what does a "flipper" mean?
09-05-2012, 02:16 PM,
Fishbone Offline

(09-02-2012, 08:20 AM)laurasav Wrote: Glad you were able to give her a new home, Mr Snake Whisperer/Fishbone! Wink She looks beautiful. Hope it all works out well, and she turns out to be healthy and sweet natured. I'd be so nervous about exposing my existing "babies" to anything, so I'm glad you're so cautious with a long quarantine time.
I'm curious - what does a "flipper" mean?

Thanks Laura. She's doing well so far. I have not seen one ounce of aggressiveness. She's a very sweet boa. She eats without problem, and seems well hydrated. So, so far so good, Smile

"Flippers" are people who try to take in animals cheaply or for free just to try to turn around and sell them for profit quickly. Craigslist in most areas had people who do that with all animals unfortunately. They prey on all the "free to a good home" ads, and allot of times will have the animal back on craigslist in a few days with a false story for a higher price. Not exactly what I consider an honorable hobby.

The reptile industry is full of them in particular. I've seen struggling hobbyist breeders at shows, then seen the same animals on craigslist the next week for more money with some b.s. about where they came from.
09-09-2012, 05:35 AM,
laurasav Offline

I am very glad to hear how well she has been doing and that she is also well behaved. I hope soon she will be a full fledged member of your reptile family!

I had no idea people did such things with animals - "flipping" them like that! Very disturbing and shady, I'd say! I like Craigslist for selling/buying items (not animals though!), but I was not aware they did this with animals. I am glad you take the time to scan the list and flag the people who abuse the "system" and who shouldn't be selling these creatures the way they do. You're kind to take in more reptiles to ensure they get a great, loving home with the best care! Thumbsup