LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amphibians?
05-31-2012, 05:25 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
amphibians?
so does anyone keep amphibians? i used to have a frog in my pond and in the past have kept leopard frogs and salamanders. hopefully ill be investing in a dart frog setup next year. anyone else?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2012, 05:53 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: amphibians?
I had kept tadpoles as a kid. I released them after they grew four legs.
If you live in a fairly warm place with frogs in the wild, any pond in your yard will attract frogs to lay eggs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2012, 11:39 AM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Threads: 9
Never tired to have one as a pet, but I always be sure to go salamander hunting whenever I cross a freshwater stream or clean water source in the woods. It is great fun and nice for kids to try too, as long as you remember your hands have to be wet to hold them and that you can't take them with you. We tried to keep a salamander we caught once. It died not long after we got home...poor thing.
05-31-2012, 11:07 PM,
amanda509 Offline

(05-31-2012, 05:53 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: I had kept tadpoles as a kid. I released them after they grew four legs.
If you live in a fairly warm place with frogs in the wild, any pond in your yard will attract frogs to lay eggs.

i live in a city in central pa so theres no wild frogs around my house, but when i go fishing i normally find a few and will occasionally take one back to my pond, they stay awhile, and some may leave, i have koi so its probably next to impossible for their eggs to survive if they lay :/

heres a pic of my last inhabitant, he was the most tame as well, he would eat from my hand and would watch on the side anytime i needed to clean the pond Smile sadly, i think a cat got him because he disappeared and never came back Sad

[Image: camouflage_by_skater4life509-d3eggcw.jpg]

(05-31-2012, 11:39 AM)ArmyOfDreams Wrote: Never tired to have one as a pet, but I always be sure to go salamander hunting whenever I cross a freshwater stream or clean water source in the woods. It is great fun and nice for kids to try too, as long as you remember your hands have to be wet to hold them and that you can't take them with you. We tried to keep a salamander we caught once. It died not long after we got home...poor thing.

i love salamanders Big Grin i used to keep them all the time, not too hard to care for though. they just get boring after awhile so i release them after a few weeks and let them go on with their little lives Smile
05-31-2012, 11:28 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I've actually always wanted to set up a dart from vivarium. I just have yet to put the time and money into it. I would want to do it all the way, with the live mosses and all. It's on the long list of things to do.
05-31-2012, 11:29 PM,
amanda509 Offline

(05-31-2012, 11:28 PM)Fishbone Wrote: I've actually always wanted to set up a dart from vivarium. I just have yet to put the time and money into it. I would want to do it all the way, with the live mosses and all. It's on the long list of things to do.

i already have the terrarium setup, i just need to finish my foam inserts and get the live plants and water filtration sorted out. josh's frogs has ALOT of info and everything you need for it :3
06-01-2012, 12:06 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
That is another great photo from you. Smile Very cool looking frog. Where did you catch it from?

Yeah, cats, dogs, raccoons are a threat to any pond animal. Raccoons are known to fishing out of the pond. If you have a lot of aquatic plants in your pond, some of the frog eggs should survive, so will the tadpoles. You don't want all of them to survive anyway, because then you will have too many frogs. :p
06-01-2012, 12:27 AM,
amanda509 Offline

(06-01-2012, 12:06 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: That is another great photo from you. Smile Very cool looking frog. Where did you catch it from?

Yeah, cats, dogs, raccoons are a threat to any pond animal. Raccoons are known to fishing out of the pond. If you have a lot of aquatic plants in your pond, some of the frog eggs should survive, so will the tadpoles. You don't want all of them to survive anyway, because then you will have too many frogs. :p

thanks! i when i actually caught it, i was snooping through a cave tunnel to get to the swimming hole on the other side, he fit right into a water bottle, 3 years later, he's as big as my whole hand :o and theres no plants in it, its just a decorative pond, but it will be extended next year and i will be sure to put in lilly pads and other plants Smile
07-18-2012, 02:29 AM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
I've got two frogs and a tadpole. They are tiny little leopard frogs and they are the most active things ever!
Crazy horse person with other animals!

06-12-2020, 07:16 PM,
Jeff20 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Photo  RE: amphibians?
I have a Lungless Salamander. Besides being very rare, it's very pretty. 

[Image: lungless-salamanders-rarest-amphibians.jpg?w=500&ssl=1]
06-13-2020, 11:08 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(06-12-2020, 07:16 PM)Jeff20 Wrote: I have a Lungless Salamander. Besides being very rare, it's very pretty. 

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the forum  Welcome.
Your Lungless Salamander is pretty indeed.   
I have been to various pet stores and markets, it is actually my first time to see one.    Very rare is an understatement lol.    
I would like to know more about your pet.  How long have you had it?  How do you take care of it?  Could you show us the whole setup?     Smile