LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read
01-24-2014, 08:44 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read
(01-24-2014, 04:17 AM)DomDom Wrote: Wow! This is very interesting and informative to read. I must admit I never had thought or had an idea about raisins being so dangerous for dogs. Other toxins and medicine is also a first. How do you guys keep your dogs from getting to where they shouldnt be and eating the things that they shouldnt? I have been told that dogs can easily developd diabetes and shouldnt be given sugar too (unlike a few people I know). Also another question I have pertaining to dogs is do veterinarians give the same type of medicine to dogs that they do to humans?
Also to add to that I just read on the net that the list of foods that should be avoided by the dog are:
Avocado - Dogs,irds, rabbits, and some large animals, including horses, are especially sensitive to avocados, as they can have respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death from consuming avocado.
Ethanol - Even ingesting a small amount of a product containing alcohol can cause significant intoxication.
Macadamia Nuts - Develop toxicosis
Onions and Garlic - Contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells
Moldy Foods

So there you go, some more things to add to the list Smile

Great additions to our list Dom! Don't forget the original raisin, the grape! Grapes are a no-no too!

Avocado

"Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark may contain a toxic principle known as persin. The Guatemalan variety, a common one found in stores, appears to be the most problematic. Other varieties of avocado can have different degrees of toxic potential."

"Birds, rabbits, and some large animals, including horses, are especially sensitive to avocados, as they can have respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death from consuming avocado. While avocado is toxic to some animals, in dogs and cats, we do not expect to see serious signs of illness. In some dogs and cats, mild stomach upset may occur if the animal eats a significant amount of avocado flesh or peel. Ingestion of the pit can lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, which is a serious situation requiring urgent veterinary care."
Quoted from:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pe...rdous-dogs

So you are completely right about the avocados. They are a no-no as well but fortunately do not do the same damage to dogs and cats as they would a horse.

I am considerably anal when it comes to my pets. I am sure that people have figured that out by now! When it comes to policing their natural desire to eat everything they see, I am on top of it.

I consistently check my yard for anything they can get in to. This would include even fallen tree limbs and making sure that I do not plant anything that they would want to eat. I have a separate dog yard within my yard that helps me control and prevent most issues.

Keeping a lid for my indoor garbage can is a necessity in my house. My sneaky dogs will stealthily scope out the can, wait for me to go to sleep and then try to go on a treasure hunt for goodies. There is nothing worse than waking up to or coming home to a mess and sick dogs. So a nice, tight lid is essential in my home.

Diabetes is heart breaking in dogs. Unfortunately in a dog that is insulin dependent, diabetes is usually accompanied by Pancreatitis which is incredibly difficult to manage by itself, let alone with the addition of Diabetes.

I have recently referenced my little Schnauzer who lost the battle after 2 long years. Yes, our dogs are prescribed insulin just as humans are. They are given injections, food is strictly monitored and their blood sugar is tested regularly.

If you have read any of my posts, you will see that I am easily angered when I hear of people "loving their dogs to death." Having had more than 15 years of experience in the Veterinary field, I am outspoken and sometimes downright rude when it comes to table scraps, "crap" dog food and canine obesity.

Obesity alone causes the chances of Pancreatitis to increase tremendously. A diet high in fat contributes to Pancreatitis and it is the Pancreas that produces insulin. See the connection?

Since we are in a thread about toxic foods I should stick to it right?
In summation, you will greatly lower the chances of your dog getting Diabetes if you totally refrain for table scraps and feed a quality food. In the case of canine Diabetes and Pancreatitis, anything other than a very low fat and carb diet is TOXIC....let me put it more bluntly...It is deadly.

Maybe we will see a Canine Diabetes thread in the future!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read - by BirdPoo - 01-22-2014, 03:12 AM
RE: Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read - by DomDom - 01-24-2014, 04:17 AM
RE: Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read - by BirdPoo - 01-24-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: Don't Poison Your Pet - Must Read - by Kteabc - 05-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your pet know your vet? remnant 1 1,615 06-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pet insurance recommendations Sogogi110 0 1,484 05-30-2016, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Sogogi110
  Pet Nutritionist – Experiences? truongthanh 2 2,150 05-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Does anyone here use Pet Protector disc? Is it effective? maxen57 0 1,424 05-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  I regret getting a puppy and I don't know what to do. pipps 16 39,342 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Last Post: krystianna
Sad I don't know what to do LilaRitter 1 2,382 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Last Post: SnoopFroggyFrog
  How cruel! Natural death, don't kill them! pandabear1991 0 1,723 02-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Last Post: pandabear1991
  Don’t Forget Our Pets during the Storm Snowflakes 2 2,790 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Miranda Boldari
  Are rescue shelters making it too hard to adopt a pet? Treatz 6 4,770 10-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Danyel72
  You Look like Your Pet! Snowflakes 0 1,854 08-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Please Don't Bring Your Dogs Into Stores! KittyReeves 0 2,818 06-20-2014, 02:05 AM
Last Post: KittyReeves
  Is the "system" taking advantage of Pet-lovers? outdoorgal 2 2,342 06-09-2014, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Amesii
  Fostering a pet in need can save lives and change your life Kteabc 0 1,653 05-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Kteabc
  I seem to only like my own pet... cliverederson 6 3,200 12-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Last Post: tierapatt50
  Technology Made for Your Pet dog haopee 1 2,022 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Last Post: trishgl