LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some advice on moving tanks
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
Looking for some advice on moving tanks
I need some advice on moving some fish that have out grown the tank they're in. I am moderately experienced with fish, I guess I would say. I understand the basics pretty well, nitrogen cycle, maintaining a tank, basic treatments for things such as ick, etc...

O.k., here's my situation. about 5 years ago, I moved, and I was going to be in a temporary living situation, due to my job, and may have had to completely relocate again, so I moved the tank to my mothers house, so I wouldn't have to move it continuously. They've done well, she feeds them, I change the filter, clean the tank, do maintenance, etc... as needed when I go over there. I have not moved the tank again, basically, because I'm scared. In it are, two clown loaches, 6+ inches long, around 7 years old. 1 yoyo loach, probably around 5 years old, and 1 Angelicus Botia, I've had for almost 7 years. Plus a plecostomus, who has to be over 8" long. All of this, in a 20 extra tall tank. It is very well established obviously, a thick layer of gravel, very low maintenance.

So, I need to get all of this into a bigger tank. I am a reptile keeper. I have extra tanks. I have a very clean, sanatized 55 sitting around doing nothing, that would look great with some large loaches. So, how do I go about this? Obviously I need to set the 55 up and get it cycled, but what is the safest and fastest way to do this? Just set it up, get some inexpensive "dirty" fish to get the cycle going? Would it help to transfer some water &/or some of the gravel out of the established tank before the fish to help jump start the new tank? Or would that be too dangerous to the old tank. I don't plan on keeping fish in the old tank if I can pull this off safely. I am apprehensive because I rather like my two large clowns especially. Thay are the two coolest fish I have ever seen.

Thanks n advance for any advice,

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Looking for some advice on moving tanks - by Fishbone - 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Show off your freshwater tanks! Thor 10 31,048 04-05-2022, 02:26 PM
Last Post: marvint738
  Needing Advice on Dying fish jbmysinger 3 3,361 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Need advice on really long fishless cycle. The problem - lack of nitrates delta678 14 6,885 06-05-2016, 02:35 AM
Smile Plan to have fish, looking for advice Monica9975 9 5,097 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM