LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I respect you" vs "I like you cause you give me stuff"
03-06-2014, 09:04 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
RE: "I respect you" vs "I like you cause you give me stuff"
Are you sure your dog and my Misha are not related? Except for the beginning part, your dog's behavior was much like Misha's. Only, Misha's started out a fairly decent dog, but was traumatized after a family death and having to move to our new home. I've written about it on these forums before.

However, I experienced many of things you did with your dog because she lost her trust of all humans. I worked with her for her first year of life with good results, then found I couldn't even touch her without worrying about being bitten. She had forgotten house training and was getting protective of food and toys. When I walked her I had to avoid people and dogs because she thought she owned the street. It was terrible!

That was not going to do! I can't be afraid of my own dog. I came to the realization that she must have had the doggie equivalent of a nervous breakdown with all the upset in our household. I decided it was my job to bring her back to normal--or something lose to it. I had some experience working an aggressive dog through their problems, so I had a little confidence in this area.

Like your dog, Misha had to learn that she got nothing unless I said so. I had to get back in control. She had to sit for everything. She learned that I went through doors first, not her. She couldn't touch her food until I gave the okay.

We eventually worked through the touching and holding. I got her through the protectiveness with toys and food. I even got her to stop barking and lunging at everyone who walked by us.

It's been 3 years since our move. I would say Misha is a work in progress. But, Misha of today is a much sweeter and happier dog than the one of 3 years ago.

While she hates to be picked up, she loves to be held. She now allows you to pet her entire body and she found out she really loves to have her neck massaged. I've learned that taking walks are vital to burning off some of the anxious energy.

She acts well around other people now. She is still afraid of strangers, but I learned a trick. As long as she meets them first outside the house, she allows them to come in. I also learned that she cannot be on my lap when new people come over. She's too protective.

She has met 3 new family dogs this year and has learned to behave with them all. My sister's dog stays with me sometimes and the two get along fine. Though, they do spend most of their time ignoring each other. Works for me!

I still have work to do with her. It's an every day commitment.

So, I hope at least you don't feel like you've got the only crazy dog. And, I am happy to hear from someone else who has been able to work with their dog's problems. In most cases it can be done. It takes a lot of tenacity and time, though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "I respect you" vs "I like you cause you give me stuff" - by TreeClimber - 03-06-2014, 09:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,516 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 5,095 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  What liquids do you give to your dog your dog? remnant 1 2,549 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  What kind of birthday celebration do you give your dog? haopee 9 4,119 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Bloomsie