Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some advice on moving tanks
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM,
Thor Online
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: Looking for some advice on moving tanks
The link in my previous post has quite detailed information on fishless cycle by using pure ammonia. Even with direct links to the needed products required for the cycling process.

Aside the regular tank equipments, you will also need a liquid test kit. I recommend API freshwater master kit. And you need a source of ammonia. If you have Ace Hardware near you, they carry it. Everything is mentioned in the article in my link in the previous post. Smile

Basically you set the tank and everything up first, and drop pure ammonia into the tank in the morning to anywhere between 2~6ppm. Then test it again at night. Keep the ammonia concentration at that level during the entire cycling. Wait for nitrite and nitrate to appear. The final goal is to be able to add 2~6ppm of ammonia in the morning, and get a reading of 0ppm on both ammonia and nitrite at the end of the same day, and the cycle is completed when this goal is achieved.
The whole process can take up to 6~8 weeks without bacteria seeding. Yes, bacteria seeding is highly recommended for fishless cycle since it can speed up the cycling process by weeks. As the article in the previous post link mentioned, you can seed it with a piece of filter media from your existing established filter, or with a product called Tetra SafeStart which is the only working live bacteria product on the market at this moment.

The amount of ammonia required for the fishless cycle does not need to be precise. All you need is to aim for anywhere between 2~6ppm. You can do it by add a few drops (start small) of ammonia and take a test with your test kit, if it measured at 1ppm, then you just need to do another triple dose if you aim at 4ppm. Simple as that. Smile

Although with your heavy fish load, I would aim at 5~6ppm of ammonia. I aimed at 5~6ppm ammonia myself, because I had to get full stock of fish for my tank due to I had to order them all at once online.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for some advice on moving tanks - by Thor - 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Show off your freshwater tanks! Thor 10 31,098 04-05-2022, 02:26 PM
Last Post: marvint738
  Needing Advice on Dying fish jbmysinger 3 3,380 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Need advice on really long fishless cycle. The problem - lack of nitrates delta678 14 6,941 06-05-2016, 02:35 AM
Smile Plan to have fish, looking for advice Monica9975 9 5,132 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM