LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My terrier does not travel well.
08-14-2014, 12:08 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: My terrier does not travel well.
One thing that might help is to put her in the car, and not go anywhere; but give her a treat when she is in there.

This is something that people with horses do when they are training there horse to ride in a horse trailer, which the horses are often terrified about doing.
At first, they just work with the horse to get them to accept being in the trailer, and then let the horse back out.
Then they put him in the trailer, and give him an apple or other treat, and then take him back out. Soon, they can put the horse in the trailer, give him his morning hay and oats, and just leave him there to eat, and he is comfortable being in the trailer; so when they haul him somewhere, he is already used to the trailer.

I think you can do this same kind of conditioning with your little dog. Put her in her car seat, and give her a bite of hot dog, and when she eats it, then take her back out again.
Gradually, leave her in longer, and then reward her. Once she is comfortable being in the car, then go for short drives, and then reward her.
Instead of thinking about how scared she is, she will be focusing on the idea of the reward when she gets back home.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My terrier does not travel well. - by WonkyBear - 08-11-2014, 06:11 PM
RE: My terrier does not travel well. - by Happyflowerlady - 08-14-2014, 12:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone have a Jack Russell Terrier? TreeClimber 8 4,425 08-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Last Post: evelynmcgregor
  Dogs that don't like car travel Julie 2 4,696 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Julie