LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM by reydempto.)
reydempto Offline

Threads: 3
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session
(06-21-2012, 12:51 AM)Victor Leigh Wrote: What do you use to cut your dog's nails? I use something like this:
[Image: resco-chrome-claw-clipper.jpg]

This is to make sure that I don't make any mistakes when I cut my dog's nails. The nail to be cut fits into the hole at the end of the clipper. Then when you squeeze the handles, the cutter will clip off the nail cleanly without slipping.

I use this exact same clipper style. It works perfectly, and if you pay attention, you won't cut into their quick.

(06-21-2012, 06:14 PM)TreeClimber Wrote: I have done all sorts of unsavory things for my dogs, but cutting their nails is one that I can't handle. It makes me too nervous. I usually have my brother do my Jack Russell Terrier's nails. Most of her nails are black which makes it more difficult.

She went to the Vets a month ago for an injury. They had to sedate her to work with her. While under, they trimmed her nails. I thought that was great!

My brother has a special grinder tool made for keeping dog nails short. Has anyone else used one of those? We couldn't use it on my dog as the sound terrifies her.

I have found that if you walk your dog often, the sidewalks and ground will trim his/her nails naturally for you. Like I said above, I have the same nail trimmer as that picture, but I have not needed to use it since my dogs were little pups, unable to go outside. Nowadays, my dogs get enough walks to trim their nails themselves.

If you must use the clipper method, I have to tell you to RELAX. it's really really easy! Let me try to explain how I do it.

the dog's nail has a thick base, then it thins out as it comes to a point, making the "claw" shape we are all familiar with. The key to doing this properly is to cut where the nail is going thinner. The thick base contains flesh and nerves and you'll make your pup yelp a bit. If you cut maybe a half a millimeter past the thick part, there is NO FLESH OR NERVES there and you can trim away.

The key to keeping your dog calm is to do it in small sessions. The longer it takes, the less he'll like it. Do one paw, give him a treat, then wait 10-15 minutes before moving to the next. Eventually, they will become used to it and even look forward to it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session - by haopee - 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session - by reydempto - 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session - by haopee - 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session - by Ram - 06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session - by Novados - 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session - by haopee - 08-16-2012, 02:13 AM