LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session
06-20-2012, 09:18 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session
One of the worst things I hate about grooming is cutting the nails. Why? Because a couple of times, I have accidentally cut the quick and that's just one bad experience both for owner and dog. And worst for the dogs because they usually won't let you touch their paws once you've done this awful mistake to them.

Do you cut your dog's nails? How do you ensure you do not touch the quick? I have dogs who have black nails so there are just instances that I'm hesitant to cut them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2012, 12:51 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
RE: The Dreaded Nail Cutting Session
What do you use to cut your dog's nails? I use something like this:
[Image: resco-chrome-claw-clipper.jpg]

This is to make sure that I don't make any mistakes when I cut my dog's nails. The nail to be cut fits into the hole at the end of the clipper. Then when you squeeze the handles, the cutter will clip off the nail cleanly without slipping.
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I have done all sorts of unsavory things for my dogs, but cutting their nails is one that I can't handle. It makes me too nervous. I usually have my brother do my Jack Russell Terrier's nails. Most of her nails are black which makes it more difficult.

She went to the Vets a month ago for an injury. They had to sedate her to work with her. While under, they trimmed her nails. I thought that was great!

My brother has a special grinder tool made for keeping dog nails short. Has anyone else used one of those? We couldn't use it on my dog as the sound terrifies her.
06-21-2012, 06:40 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

(06-21-2012, 06:14 PM)TreeClimber Wrote: I have done all sorts of unsavory things for my dogs, but cutting their nails is one that I can't handle. It makes me too nervous. I usually have my brother do my Jack Russell Terrier's nails. Most of her nails are black which makes it more difficult.

She went to the Vets a month ago for an injury. They had to sedate her to work with her. While under, they trimmed her nails. I thought that was great!

My brother has a special grinder tool made for keeping dog nails short. Has anyone else used one of those? We couldn't use it on my dog as the sound terrifies her.

I have never used a grinder to keep my dogs' nails short. I do have a grinder which I use to do my work but I have never thought of using it for my dogs. When I need to trim the nails without clipping it, I just use an emery board. My dogs don't have any problems with that.
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM by reydempto.)
reydempto Offline

Threads: 3
(06-21-2012, 12:51 AM)Victor Leigh Wrote: What do you use to cut your dog's nails? I use something like this:

This is to make sure that I don't make any mistakes when I cut my dog's nails. The nail to be cut fits into the hole at the end of the clipper. Then when you squeeze the handles, the cutter will clip off the nail cleanly without slipping.

I use this exact same clipper style. It works perfectly, and if you pay attention, you won't cut into their quick.

(06-21-2012, 06:14 PM)TreeClimber Wrote: I have done all sorts of unsavory things for my dogs, but cutting their nails is one that I can't handle. It makes me too nervous. I usually have my brother do my Jack Russell Terrier's nails. Most of her nails are black which makes it more difficult.

I have found that if you walk your dog often, the sidewalks and ground will trim his/her nails naturally for you. Like I said above, I have the same nail trimmer as that picture, but I have not needed to use it since my dogs were little pups, unable to go outside. Nowadays, my dogs get enough walks to trim their nails themselves.

If you must use the clipper method, I have to tell you to RELAX. it's really really easy! Let me try to explain how I do it.

the dog's nail has a thick base, then it thins out as it comes to a point, making the "claw" shape we are all familiar with. The key to doing this properly is to cut where the nail is going thinner. The thick base contains flesh and nerves and you'll make your pup yelp a bit. If you cut maybe a half a millimeter past the thick part, there is NO FLESH OR NERVES there and you can trim away.

The key to keeping your dog calm is to do it in small sessions. The longer it takes, the less he'll like it. Do one paw, give him a treat, then wait 10-15 minutes before moving to the next. Eventually, they will become used to it and even look forward to it.
06-22-2012, 05:22 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
When I had my Shih Tzu, it was a pain to cut her nails. It was awful and always a struggle.

Over time, I learned that the best time to cut her nails was when it thundered outside. That would immediately make her vulnerable and she allowed me to do anything I wanted.

So when winter came around and it stopped thundering, I would put on the sounds of thunder on my laptop and she permitted me to cut her nails.

I wish I started when she was a pup because my fiancee's cats do not struggle a bit due to them starting when they were kittens.
06-22-2012, 11:12 AM,
haopee Offline

(06-21-2012, 12:51 AM)Victor Leigh Wrote: What do you use to cut your dog's nails? I use something like this:

I use the same clippers. I have that and this one.

[Image: BA027_0002_hero.jpg]

(06-22-2012, 05:22 AM)andrew320 Wrote: When I had my Shih Tzu, it was a pain to cut her nails. It was awful and always a struggle.

Over time, I learned that the best time to cut her nails was when it thundered outside. That would immediately make her vulnerable and she allowed me to do anything I wanted.

So when winter came around and it stopped thundering, I would put on the sounds of thunder on my laptop and she permitted me to cut her nails.

I wish I started when she was a pup because my fiancee's cats do not struggle a bit due to them starting when they were kittens.

How I wish it thundered often here but at the same time, that would suggest typhoons and I don't want those.

Anyway, one of the tricks I use is to make them tired of playing. After which, I'll grab that opportunity to cut their nails because that's the time they hardly have energy to resist.

I'm just so scared sometimes because of my previous experience with my big dog. She had black nails.

I would love to try the grinder but I'm pretty sure that's a bit expensive compared to the other cutters.

I agree, starting young is for the best.
06-22-2012, 06:45 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Forget the grinder.

Just use those clippers which you already have. Use the first one. With that one, you won't make any mistakes. Provided you don't cut too much. The part that can be cut off is only at the tip. Cut more than that and you will draw blood. The second clipper should not be used because it doesn't have a guard on it and there's a chance of having an accident with it.

Make it a game to play with your dog's paws. Use an emery board like this to file the nails when you don't clip them.

[Image: emery-board.jpg]

You can get one of those at any place that sells cosmetics. Women use it to file their nails.
06-25-2012, 01:14 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
This one is pretty good too. It has 3 different sizes.

[Image: lg_8633_29707.jpg]

It has many very good reviews. You can click on the image to see the details.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2012, 04:12 AM,
louise1341 Offline

Threads: 1
Unfortunately one of my dogs is terrified of anyone touching his feet! He was a rescue dog and when we first got him he had an infection in his feet from standing on concrete too long. It's caused him to become really upset when anyone touches them and it took me six months to gain his trust so that I could wipe his feet when he was wet or dirty.

As you can imagine clipping his nails is fun Dodgy I've tried and tried to do it myself but he is just too strong for me and he gets so scared. I have no choice but to take him to the vets and muzzle him (I doubt he'd bite but you never know). The last time it took the vet, a nurse and me to hold him still but I have to say that he was a really brave boy and I'm proud of him.
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM,
Novados Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
My dog wont let you touch her paws ever since she was taken into the groomer for the first time. We think the quick was cut.
07-07-2012, 05:46 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
Victor, the grinder is a much softer version that you have in your tool box. I've never used one, but my brother swears by it. This is one version, though it's not the one my brother has.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?o...MoEEPMCMAA

Reydempto, I walk my dog on cement every day for our walk. It does help. Though, after a year and a half, they did get long. The worst is the duclaws because they don't have any contact with the ground.

I have learned that I am terrible at nail clipping. I've done many nurse and doctor duties for my dogs. Some of them were not very pleasant. But, nail clipping gives me the willies. When Misha had a recent procedure where they needed to sedate her, the Veterinarian clipped her nails. That's the best way (having someone else do it!) Big Grin
07-23-2012, 04:30 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

Threads: 10
I actually do not cut my dog's nails because I am afraid of doing this to her. I do have a clipper the ones above, however I am still very hesitant to cut her nails. Luckily, her nails do not get that long, so it isn't too big of a problem. I groom her regularly by brushing, bathing and trimming her fur, but I just avoid the nail cutting process.
08-16-2012, 02:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2012, 02:15 AM by haopee.)
haopee Offline

(07-07-2012, 05:46 PM)TreeClimber Wrote: Victor, the grinder is a much softer version that you have in your tool box. I've never used one, but my brother swears by it. This is one version, though it's not the one my brother has.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?o...MoEEPMCMAA

Reydempto, I walk my dog on cement every day for our walk. It does help. Though, after a year and a half, they did get long. The worst is the duclaws because they don't have any contact with the ground.

I have learned that I am terrible at nail clipping. I've done many nurse and doctor duties for my dogs. Some of them were not very pleasant. But, nail clipping gives me the willies. When Misha had a recent procedure where they needed to sedate her, the Veterinarian clipped her nails. That's the best way (having someone else do it!) Big Grin

I've seen this before! Thanks for reminding me. And it only costs $11. Hopefully somebody is selling it in our country at the same price. I think I'll be adding this to my to buy list to make my grooming tasks a whole lot easier.

I can relate to your dilemma on Misha. That dog whose quick I accidentally cut, I'm too scared to cut her nails now so I think I'll need to bring her to the groomers to have them cut it.

(07-23-2012, 04:30 AM)dashboardc33 Wrote: I actually do not cut my dog's nails because I am afraid of doing this to her.  I do have a clipper the ones above, however I am still very hesitant to cut her nails.  Luckily, her nails do not get that long, so it isn't too big of a problem.  I groom her regularly by brushing, bathing and trimming her fur, but I just avoid the nail cutting process.

I hope you don't forget to check the ones on top of her front paws. They can become so long when forgotten.

My sister had this dog who had never needed his nails cut because he was self-sufficient. The nails on this paws are very short. One time, I gave him a belly rub and was surprised on how the nails on his front legs (dew claws, I believe) had already curled and was slowly piercing his skin.
So, just keep an eye on those.