Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching social play
01-01-2013, 05:01 AM,
SinatraBuddy Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Teaching social play
I wanted to write a shorter post in hope that someone can help me:

My kitten was taken from his mom when he was 2 weeks old. He is a biter - he bites my face and hands and I am worried about him and I am worried about him scarring me on my face. I understand that this is not uncommon for kittens who are taken from their liters too soon - they seem to need their liter to learn social play. Does anyone know how I can teach him social play? He is not an aggressive cat - very affectionate and snugglie. He does seem to have some desire not to hurt me - he does not strike like cats do when in fear - just very playful and affectionate and seems not very in control if it (although I am open to ideas that I might be provoking him and how I can not do so). Sometimes he bites really softly. Sometimes he just seems really hyper when he bites hard. He also seems to have some desire to control it but has a hard time - like it is compulsive or something.

I would appreciate any advice so much.

Regarding spraying him -
He likes water (hops in the shower and bath - really likes water...)
A vet assistant recommended I put diluted vinegar in a bottle - which I was afraid of at first.
I tried it on myself and it is sure is irritating - smells terrible and tickles me nose. Does not hurt my eyes tho.
I have since used this to try to deter him - and he does not like this - and sometimes it will deter him - but it seems that the compulsion is still there - he hates the bottle - but he bites my face anyway -

1) does anyone know the most effective way to teach social play?
2) does anyone know an effective deterrent for "disciplining" him that will not hurt him or make him afraid - but will deter him - just in general? My guy seems like be such a happy little fellow and likes everything - even water bottles. I am so happy to see him happy - but struggling to find the way to be a responsible parent and teach him to be around people without biting. Undecided. He bit the Pepco guy the other day -

I would be so grateful for any advice -

Ps:
I hope to make it to the vet this week - I will post here what the vet suggests in case anyone else is struggling with adopting a prematurely orphaned little one -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Teaching social play - by SinatraBuddy - 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM
RE: Teaching social play - by SinatraBuddy - 01-01-2013, 05:01 AM
RE: Teaching social play - by FlanneryCam - 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do your cats like to play with toys? emilyrose93 7 4,307 08-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Last Post: jen_j_26