LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals would you like to have but may never get?
02-23-2012, 10:29 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
Animals would you like to have but may never get?
I always see animals that are neat, interesting or cute, but just cant see myself having.

Chinchillas are cute, but I don't know...

I also love the blue and gold macaws, but they are huge, and maybe a bit more than I'd want to work with.

What about you guys?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Animals would you like to have but may never get?
Neat and cute? More like awesome and cool! lol.

A panther? A Tiger?

Have you watched the videos of people train tigers to hunt in Africa? Yes, in Africa, not their native territory. Yes, I imagined to have lions to think "what the heck?" when they saw tigers.

I know for sure I can't have them.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(02-23-2012, 01:37 PM)bw Wrote: It took only a few minutes to discover that bird will most likely way out live me

All you need to do is to pick one of your kids or future kids (if you don't have any yet) to take over the job to look after this long lived bird.

Can't give it up just because a pet might have longer span than humans. What about all the turtle owners? Big Grin My aunt has one before my cousin was born. It's been almost three decades, and I am sure it will still be there by 2100 lol.
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
I would love to have a ferret; they are the greatest little clowns! But my house is anything but ferret-proof, and it would take too much to make it so. So I'll just stick to cats.
03-03-2012, 06:33 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(03-02-2012, 04:29 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: I would love to have a ferret; they are the greatest little clowns! But my house is anything but ferret-proof, and it would take too much to make it so. So I'll just stick to cats.

One of my friends had a pair of ferrets. He kept them in a cage. Once he let them out, one of them got into the wall and took the whole family ages to get it out lol.

03-23-2012, 09:17 PM,
bw Offline

I always thought ferrets a little....creepy. They are so long and....floppy. I'll admit they are cute and can be funny, I had a friend with one. But they are still....floppy
03-24-2012, 03:14 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

I just thought about this.

Quite some years ago when I passed an animal farm in a middle-west state (I forgot which one) with my parents, we saw some beautiful peacocks. The beautiful ones were male, and they were only $45 each! Females were plain white but not for sale. I really wished to get one. Not only they look cool, but I was also having this "video" in my head where I walk the peacock in the neighborhood, with hot chicks asking me questions. My parents said nope! Tongue We were a long way from home, it might be troublesome to find a hotel to accept this big bird.

I might get one now myself if I see them again.

04-05-2012, 01:22 AM,
bw Offline

The males are beautiful. But please, research the care of a peacock before getting the bird. Many pets have died while their owner was trying to figure it all out. You ought to know, it is the same with fish.
05-14-2012, 03:46 AM,
Flexin Offline

Threads: 0
I wanted I chimp when I was a child. I would have to win enough money to give it a proper home and have a caretaker to make sure its needs were taken care of. Since I don't see that happening anytime soon, I won't be getting one.

James
06-06-2012, 03:48 PM,
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
The animal that sprung to mind when I saw the title of this thread was the Chinchilla. Which coincidentally the original poster listed as an animal they would like to have but probably will never adopt.

As a young girl I also wanted a Hamster, alas they are banned in New Zealand. Actually regulations are quite tight and lots of animals are banned. Including several types of dogs and rodents.

Oh I've always loved goats too but you need a lot of land for one of those. Luckily a family friend owned a goat an hour out of the city and I got to visit and feed it on occasion.
06-07-2012, 01:09 AM,
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
One of those moments when you really need to go all out and have a pet panther. I can see it now, taking it for a walk down the street or have it lounging in the window, watching the outside world. Then that dream come crashing down when I realize it can easily take me out while I sleep.

One of the animals that I would like to have would be a lemer. Their one of the most beautiful primates that are on the small end.
06-08-2012, 01:31 AM,
twinsmommy Offline

(03-02-2012, 04:29 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: I would love to have a ferret; they are the greatest little clowns! But my house is anything but ferret-proof, and it would take too much to make it so. So I'll just stick to cats.

I would love to have a ferret too! They are absolutely adorable! But, like you, my house is definitely not ferret proof and I know I would lose that little thing.
06-08-2012, 06:19 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I have always wanted some type of primate. A few years back when I lived in Ft Myers, there was a pet shop that sold all kinds of unusual animals. They actually had baby gibbons. I'm not sure how they had a CITES appendix I species for sale legally, or if it even was legal, but damn, I wanted to buy one. But what do you do with a gibbon? Give it a large bedroom especially outfitted? It would probably destroy your house. But I thought about it. Big Grin
06-08-2012, 11:02 AM,
laurasav Offline

We had a Blue & Gold Macaw years ago. We bought it as a baby. They said it was weaned, but it wasn't. I was also very afraid of its beak, which it sensed. So after being nipped a few times when I was feeding it, I couldn't stand it anymore. We took it back & got a refund. We now have more manageable parrots, an Eclectus and a Quaker. I could probably handle a Macaw now that I have experience with these other parrots. A Macaw is a very unwise "starter" bird!

Anyway, the pet I would seriously love to get is a Savannah cat. We have a Bengal cat, but the Savannahs are waaay COOL! We decided against owning one after reading up on them more. They can be very headstrong and a bit destructive. I have much prized artwork in the house that I wouldn't want smashed to smithereens! I would really love to own one, but I just don't think it would be practical for our home.
06-10-2012, 04:59 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
A macaw would be my answer, too.

I physically can't have kids, so passing the bird down wouldn't be an option for me. Still, there are plenty of older birds out there who lost their humans and need homes, so if I ever did get a macaw, I'd adopt one of those older "orphaned" birds. The big thing holding me back is the fact that they're so LOUD, and they're so much work! I've heard that having a macaw is like having a toddler that never grows up. My little cockatiel is a lot of work, but I know caring for him is nothing compared to what caring for a macaw would entail.
06-10-2012, 09:18 AM,
twinsmommy Offline

I would also love to have a Bengal tiger if they were not so dangerous. They are adorable as babies but I know that even if they are raised as pets, they can be quite dangerous.
06-26-2012, 04:31 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
There are many, many animals I would love to have but it's rather unrealistic and impossible to have.

Pig
Wild African Donkey
Cockatoo
Monkey
Tiger
Elephant
06-26-2012, 01:16 PM,
dziomek Offline

Threads: 1
I wanted a St. Bernard, but my grandma wouldn't let me get it. It was so cute, but I must say I'm glad I wasn't allowed to get it. I was upset at first, but after having two dogs one third the size of a St. Bernard and knowing how expensive it is to feed them each month, I couldn't imagine owning one. That was a long time ago (over 30 years) and I am glad I wasn't allowed to have one. My daughter wants one and I told her when she had a lot of room for it to run and enough money to be able to afford to feed it, she could get one. Oh, and we lived in town when I wanted one, so it would have been very unfair to the dog.
07-17-2012, 04:52 PM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
I would really like a goat to keep down the blackberries and the wild grass for fire hazard. The only thing standing in my way is shelter and the coyotes...
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-22-2012, 09:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM by ACSAPA.)
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
I would love to have a Savannah, which is a combination of a Serval cat and a domestic cat, but I'm not realistically going to spend $22,000 to buy a cat.

[Image: Gracie10mo.gif]
07-25-2012, 02:31 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
(07-22-2012, 09:00 PM)ACSAPA Wrote: I would love to have a Savannah, which is a combination of a Serval cat and a domestic cat, but I'm not realistically going to spend $22,000 to buy a cat.

[Image: Gracie10mo.gif]

Oh yes, I would like to have a Savannah cat, too. Is it really that expensive? The last I checked it was only about 3000usd. Maybe there are different grades. There's one thing which I read about the Savannah cat which makes it interesting for me. It's said that it can be trained like a dog.
[Image: savannah-cat-6103802.jpg]
07-26-2012, 05:26 AM,
laurasav Offline

Prices widely vary on the Savannah breed. Usually it depends on how many generations they are from the wild Serval cat. If it's an F1 (one generation from wild Serval) it tends to make the purchase price much higher than an F6 kitten. The markings on the cat/kitten will also determine a price being higher or lower. Searching through the online ads for Savannah cats, I found a cattery in New Jersey that was selling F1 and F2 kittens for only $800usd. That's quite a steal! The photos of the cats showed them to be quite beautiful and they were bottle fed and well socialized.
07-26-2012, 11:57 AM,
dashboardc33 Offline

I really want a ferret. I have wanted one ever since I was little. However, I know that they are really stinky and they bite as well. There is something about them that is just so cute. The way they curl up in their little hammocks and the way they run is just so cute! Maybe one of my kids will want one and we can put it in their room to stink it up! hahaha!
07-27-2012, 06:15 AM,
kalisungrl18 Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
I would love a horse. They are such beautiful animals and I love horseback riding. I do not see myself ever having a ranch though Sad
I would also love a ferret since they are so cute but there illegal in my state of California
07-27-2012, 06:57 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(07-27-2012, 06:15 AM)kalisungrl18 Wrote: I would love a horse. They are such beautiful animals and I love horseback riding. I do not see myself ever having a ranch though Sad
I would also love a ferret since they are so cute but there illegal in my state of California

What? It is illegal to own a ferret in California? Why? What for? Huh

Do these little cute ferrets somehow pose a threat to the ecosystem there?

You can always move to another state. Smile I have had a friend who owned a pair of ferrets for many years. He lived in NY.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The perception of shelter animals Shihtzufan 5 3,251 11-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Butterbelly's Buddy
  Should the law restrict what animals can be kept as pets? cyberpuppet 14 5,450 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Last Post: mariann
Question What Type of water do you give your animals? Fishbone 27 9,416 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Last Post: brad
  Pet sitters for your animals Pocs 24 8,204 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Babble64
  How to teach a child to respect animals? Laura 10 6,718 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Last Post: AnnaU93
  Why do people like cross-eyed animals more? Ram 6 6,523 10-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Last Post: pafjlh
  How does your pet react around wild animals? Ram 8 5,028 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ohiotom76