LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you allergic to certain pet or pet product?
06-20-2012, 10:22 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Are you allergic to certain pet or pet product?
I didn't think I was allergic to anything at all for decades. Until I found out freeze dried bloodworm can get my nose really itch! I feed them to my tropical fish as treats only once a week. Every time as soon as I open the bottle, the unique smell can immediately make the very bottom of my nose itch like hell! Icon_eek Although other than nose itching, I am totally fine. Since I only feed my fish with bloodworm once a week, I have no plan to stop.

Is there a certain pet or pet product you allergic to?
What reactions do you get?
How do you deal with it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2012, 12:13 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Are you allergic to certain pet or pet product?
Yes, there is one pet product that I am very allergic to. It's Royal Canine. Everything I see it, it gives me an ache in the heart and a pain in my pocket. The ache in my heart comes from wanting to buy it for my cats and dogs. The pain in my pocket comes from the price. In Thailand, it's 5usd per kilogram. In Malaysia, it's 10usd per kilogram.

Just kidding, there. So far, I haven't found any pet product that I am allergic to. Maybe it's because I tend to feed my pets with home-cooked meals, usually things that I, myself, eat, too.
Find all posts by this user
06-22-2012, 01:21 AM,
Rphoenix Offline

Threads: 2
I'm not sure if this is considered allergies, but I do occasionally get the snuffles (as I call them) when I've spent too much time with my furry pets. And by too much time, I mean like, 5 hours, which is rare. I believe it's because of their fur. It doesn't happen when I play with the others, like the turtle.
06-22-2012, 05:15 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
I'm allergic to our cats during the month of May. I have to wear a mask all month long or at least when I'm in the apartment with them. My sneezes are violent, my nose is itchy all the time and my nose leaks. It's awful. But I still play with them, give them love and talk to them.

When Max, my fiancee's nine-year-old cat, realized I was allergic to him in that month he was quite sad and reserved. It was cute.
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2012, 11:56 PM by HK86.)
HK86 Offline

Threads: 2
I'm not, but my sister has developed an allergy to cat hair Sad well, more of an intolerance. She has asthma and various allergies anyway, and it seems cat hair has started causing the same issues.

Only since she moved out though - she has no pets, and had no problems while she was living with my parents and their three cats.
06-24-2012, 03:55 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
andrew, that is seriously WEIRD that you are only allergic to cats during May! I would bet it's not the cats, but some other kind of allergy you're unaware of in your environment. Some kind of Spring allergy in the air.

Anyway, I found feeding dried chili peppers to my Quaker parrot always bothered me so much that I'd start choking and gasping for air. No more chili peppers for the bird now! I've also found the Natra Pet Aloe Vera Bird Bath I spray my parrots down with daily makes me choke a little until it dries.

Our first cat, many years ago, was peeing on the furniture and my hubby was going to put him down, but relented when I was beyond heartbroken. The vet made some good suggestions, one of which was a spray (can't remember what now - maybe Boundary cat repellent) to use on the furniture to keep him off. Unfortunately, my nephew slept on the couch we had sprayed with this stuff and he woke up covered in a bad rash. He was miserable for a week with it!
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
I am mildly alergic to my cats. My body aclimates to them, and I'm fine, but once in awhile I take in a new one and my head's a bit stuffy for a few days. Many people are fine while living with something but lose the resistance they built up when they don't live with it for a while. My Dad was fine growing up with cats in the house, but after they didn't have any for a while, his brother brought home a kitten and he started having asmacic attacks. I also find my cat allergy bothering me occationally when I am exposed to other things I'm alergic to, making me more sensative. In the Fall when there's lots of mold in the air, hanging at the Humane Society can make my head block up.
06-25-2012, 05:14 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(06-25-2012, 03:46 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: I am mildly alergic to my cats. My body aclimates to them, and I'm fine, but once in awhile I take in a new one and my head's a bit stuffy for a few days. Many people are fine while living with something but lose the resistance they built up when they don't live with it for a while. My Dad was fine growing up with cats in the house, but after they didn't have any for a while, his brother brought home a kitten and he started having asmacic attacks. I also find my cat allergy bothering me occationally when I am exposed to other things I'm alergic to, making me more sensative. In the Fall when there's lots of mold in the air, hanging at the Humane Society can make my head block up.

It is hard to imagine a cat lady is in fact allergic to cats. Eek
Not too long ago you said you are feeding 10 cats. What if some of them want to rest on your laps or on your shoulders? Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2012, 12:01 AM,
evilgenius Offline

Threads: 1
I wasn't allergic to animals , but 5 years ago my doctor told me that im getting signs of asthama so he advice me if you have any pet animal at your home than give those animals to your relative or friends, at that time I had a Very cute cat and a parrot, I gave parrot to my servant and my cat to my neighbours but my neighbours sold my cats for just sake of some money. Now im alright and gonna get some pet
06-26-2012, 12:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM by dziomek.)
dziomek Offline

I am not allergic to animals, but hubby is allergic to cats. We still have cats, but they live outside not in the house. I miss having a cat inside, but I do not miss the hair everywhere. They are well taken care of and sheltered; just not inside. We have a litter of kittens now that we are taming so they can go to their new homes soon, and if I play with them a lot then get too close to hubby he gets stuffy. I try to wear a coat that is just for chores and playing with the cats, but when it is nice out I forget and he ends up stuffy.

(06-22-2012, 05:15 AM)andrew320 Wrote: I'm allergic to our cats during the month of May. I have to wear a mask all month long or at least when I'm in the apartment with them. My sneezes are violent, my nose is itchy all the time and my nose leaks. It's awful. But I still play with them, give them love and talk to them.

When Max, my fiancee's nine-year-old cat, realized I was allergic to him in that month he was quite sad and reserved. It was cute.

I also have to comment on this post: I too believe it is an allergy to something more and different than the cats. If it was an allergy to the cats, the symptoms would be there every month, not just May. Perhaps it is the pollen that flies around from the trees?
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM,
kamel1984 Offline

Threads: 0
Yes! I am allergic to cats. I can’t be in the same room as one and my allergies get really bad. I am also allergic to cat litter. My eyes get red and itchy sneezing and I also have shortness of breath when I’m around them.
08-27-2012, 01:39 AM,
louise1341 Offline

I've developed a host of allergies in the last decade and I'm now allergic to cats, ferrets and apparently skunks! The latter two don't really make much difference to my general life but being allergic to cats can be a little embarrassing. I've realized that if I go to someone's house and they have a cat I begin by feeling lightheaded and sneezy but I also gag like there is a bad smell. I have to explain that I'm not inferring that their houses smell but rather that their cat is making me ill!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,015 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,061 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,170 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,481 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,974 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,436 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,174 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,175 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57