LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arnie, my 2011 Coastal Jaguar
05-29-2012, 12:00 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
Arnie, my 2011 Coastal Jaguar
I wanted to post a couple of newer pics of my 100% Coastal Jaguar, Arnie.

[Image: 78159_222517_Large_VmC7hDZ8cZh.jpg]

[Image: 78159_222519_Large_DortKPr2swQ.jpg]

It wasn't the best lighting, but the amount he has yellowed up is amazing Smile Here are a few pics of him from about 9 months ago.

[Image: 78159_170073_Large_QUq8zUBVTPgKb.jpg]

[Image: 78159_170071_Large_c4LFvHBTOa3Idn.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2012, 04:11 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Arnie, my 2011 Coastal Jaguar
That's pretty cute. I love his eyes, and of course, the pattern. Smile Has he ever tried to bite?
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
05-29-2012, 05:37 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Another beautiful pet snake you have there.

Did you let him out in the garden in the last photo?
What if he try to escape? Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2012, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM by Fishbone.)
Fishbone Offline

(05-29-2012, 04:11 PM)Mantis Wrote: That's pretty cute. I love his eyes, and of course, the pattern. Smile Has he ever tried to bite?

Nah, he's puppy dog tame. I don't think he has ever even taken an aggressive position.

(05-29-2012, 05:37 PM)Ram8349 Wrote: Another beautiful pet snake you have there.

Did you let him out in the garden in the last photo?
What if he try to escape? Smile

Well, he was positioned for a picture, and to get a little sun.

Here is another picture I took today, better lighting, outside on a cloudy day. I wasn't leaving him outside Smile

[Image: 78159_222702_VeryLarge_lapeSvCwLlTCO.jpg]
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
The scales are lit up very beautifully. I quite want one now. Tongue It's just a shame snakes don't seem very affectionate. Don't get me wrong. I love reptiles, but I prefer ones that you're more easily able to interact with.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
06-01-2012, 03:26 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Well, I don't think I would ever describe a snake as "affectionate", but this guy is as close as it gets. In the evening and at night he actually comes up to the glass when I walk over, wanting to be taken out. He seems to really enjoy being held.
06-01-2012, 03:54 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Well some snakes would get close to humans for the body heat when they feel cold, since they can't produce body heat themselves.
I've read stories of a python moved into the bed when someone was sleeping because it's warmer there.

Maybe it is because the temperature at night is cooler. So he wants to be in your warm hand. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2012, 05:02 AM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Threads: 9
Do snakes have much facial recognition skill? I heard somewhere that there is a reptile which seems to display affection-seeking behaviors, which as aforementioned here is not something reptiles normally do. The person who said that to me was not convinced it was actually seeking of affection, but probably another behavior the owner interpreted that way. I don't recall what the animal was so this story is kind of shallow, haha, sorry Blush
06-01-2012, 08:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM by Fishbone.)
Fishbone Offline

(06-01-2012, 03:54 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: Well some snakes would get close to humans for the body heat when they feel cold, since they can't produce body heat themselves.
I've read stories of a python moved into the bed when someone was sleeping because it's warmer there.

Maybe it is because the temperature at night is cooler. So he wants to be in your warm hand. Smile

Well, he has a pretty good setup, he has hides, open areas, and perches from 90-92F to 78F, so he has no problem getting warm in a variety of places. If you have a snake that needs to get out and in your hand to get warm, you aren't taking very good care of the snake Big Grin

The night bit is because they are primarily nocturnal, and that is when he is out and about. Most of my carpet pythons pick a hide and spend most of the daylight hours curled up, with the exception of my two bredls pythons sometimes.

(06-01-2012, 05:02 AM)ArmyOfDreams Wrote: Do snakes have much facial recognition skill? I heard somewhere that there is a reptile which seems to display affection-seeking behaviors, which as aforementioned here is not something reptiles normally do. The person who said that to me was not convinced it was actually seeking of affection, but probably another behavior the owner interpreted that way. I don't recall what the animal was so this story is kind of shallow, haha, sorry Blush

Facial recognition, as in differentiating people by sight? I doubt it. I have had a few snakes over the years, mostly adults, who seem to be able to tell people apart, but I have always thought that was more based on scent personally. I had a rainbow boa years and years ago that decided he really didn't like my sister, and she hadn't seen him in years, and he remembered something and still didn't like her. Big Grin

I don't think there are any reptiles that actually seek "affection", per se. But there certainly lizards that seek attention, bearded dragons most notably. They certainly do like to interact with people, and some will actually get "jealous" if they don't get attention. I don't think they are looking for "affection" the way we think of that term, but more likely we are their main source of stimulation, and are seeking that.

And on top of all that, carpet pythons are certainly not stupid, they are actually pretty bright for snakes. They can certainly learn behaviors and patterns, and he very well may just have learned that it is his best way to get out, if he crawls along the glass when I am standing there. So his purpose may not be as much to be held by me, as much as just getting out and checking out the world.
06-19-2012, 05:44 AM,
laurasav Offline

Arnie is really very beautiful. I admire snakes, but have never owned one. Nor have I known any snake owners, that I can think of. I found all the comments and information very interesting. How many snakes do you own now? When did you start having an interest in snakes? Do different snakes in your home get along with each other or do you keep everybody separated?
Just curious...and fascinated! :-)
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM,
Fishbone Offline

We have 15 snakes at the moment. I promise, we're not hordersBig Grin I have been fascinated with all animals most of my life, including reptiles, especially snakes. I used to catch them when I was a kid. All of mine have their own enclosures. If you have similar species, and a large enough enclosure, you can keep them together, as long as they are close to the same size, and not a species prone to ophiophagy. But it is much easier to monitor the animals health if they are housed individually. They are pretty much solitary animals, so given enough space and with all of their needs met, they are fine to keep to themselves.

I've got some other pics of my snakes around here, and a thread with some pics of the rack I have most of the little ones in.
06-20-2012, 08:54 AM,
laurasav Offline

Wow - that's a good amount of snakes! Beautiful creatures, though. It makes sense to keep them separated and able to monitor each one's health easier that way, plus if they like their own space that's what they should have. I'm going to go look at some of your other posts and see what other snakes you have.

My parrots would be terrified of your snakes! If we use the big metal tape measure in the same room with the parrots, our Eclectus freaks out. He must think it's a snake! I know birds are scared of snakes - a natural fear since snakes eat birds if they can catch 'em.
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM,
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
Thanks for sharing photos of Arnie. I'll admit I'm a little afraid of snakes but even I can see Arnie's beauty. His yellow coloring is amazing. It's also nice to hear that he's tame ... well tame enough for you to handle him. Snakes are wild animals afterall.