LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Babies who have pets are healthier
01-31-2013, 06:01 AM,
Kyla Houbolt Offline

Threads: 4
Babies who have pets are healthier
I love articles like this! Apparently studies have shown that infants who have exposure to pet dogs and cats have fewer respiratory infections or ear infections, and the course of treatment for the infections they do get is briefer.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247591.php

Not only do I appreciate this because it promotes a healthy relationship between families and pets, but also because it helps to counter some of what I feel has been overprotectiveness of children so that they are not "exposed" to this and that.

For some reason the effects noticed are stronger for children with dogs than for the ones with cats, but both types of pet register the effects. The suggested reason is that contact with the animals helps the immune system develop more quickly.

Which makes a lot of sense to me!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2013, 02:42 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Babies who have pets are healthier
This study isn't all that convincing.
First, the sample is too small.
Second, the study isn't conducted in a controlled environment either. They simply picked a few hundreds infants and did surveys with their parents.

Even if the finding is true for a much larger sample, there still could be other explanations. If you have read the reader comments, I see a few possible other causes for the study results. One of the comments said it is possible when there are pets around, the parents pay closer attention to the babies. Often time the mother is presence and the breastfeeding gives better immune system to the baby.
Another comment said it is possible the exposure to the micro-organisms on the pets made babies' immune systems stronger.

I do not know for sure, but until there is a study conducted on at least 10x larger sample in a controlled environment, I am not convinced. Sorry. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-25-2013, 12:02 AM,
suzjbibby Offline

Threads: 4
I would tend to think that babies immune systems are developed more quickly when exposed to pets, whether it be due to micro-organisms present or other factors. Certainly breastfeeding is an important boost to childrens immune systems but I think that the pets may also be a contributing factor.
Homes without pets tend to be more sterile environments generaly and it is my opinon that children raised in more sterile environments will have a lower immune response when exposed later. That does not mean that I condone children being raised in filthy surrondings, just that it is possible that being over zealous about cleanliness can actualy contribute to health problems
03-03-2013, 01:36 AM,
Yatte Offline

Threads: 8
A lovely article, to raise awareness towards pets, and eradicate some of the myths surrounding children and pets.

I found the results of the tests a bit shaky though, they only way they could have proved that the children had better immunity, were to have blood tests done. A survey is not scientific results, and would not be excepted by the scientific community. The tests have to be done in a wider area as well, not only limited to a certain district.

Both my children were surrounded by pets since they were babies, and they get sick just as much as pet less children do. The emotional and developmental effects of having a pet should however not be forgotten. Children that grow up with pets, learn to care for things other than themselves, they also find friendship and camaraderie in their pets, and the quickly learn not to handle animals too hard and to respect them.Pets tend to make people happy, and happy people are healthier. Pets love unconditionally, the do not judge and can be comic relief, all these contribute to their owners being less stressed and thus also healthier.

Some of my friends grew up without any pets, and one of the things they say the most is: "I wish I had a pet as a child"
05-17-2013, 03:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2013, 03:04 AM by trishgl.)
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
Although the idea of a healthier body if you have pets is still debatable what is sure is that the child can learn life lessons from having a pet. Sensitivity toward the needs of others and being responsible are lessons that can be learned from having a pet. I know that caring for a dog has made my sons are more caring toward animals.
05-21-2013, 06:20 AM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
Probably a lot of truth about the immune system. It developes better when it has work to do, as in children stroking pets then putting fingers in their mouth.
Be careful though, if you have a new born in the house do NOT allow a cat in the room on it's own if the infant is sleeping.
Cats will jump in the cot and curl up with the baby for the warmth sometimes laying on their face with disastrious consequences.
e

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,663 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,547 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,833 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant