LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat cafe - are you for or against?
11-30-2015, 07:44 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

Threads: 1
Cat cafe - are you for or against?
Have you heard about cat cafes? Those are becoming more and more popular.
As you can probably imagine, those are places where you come to drink coffee (or tea Smile) and play with adorable kitties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVYHHCoAU8
Here's a video of one in Japan (I think that those are the most well known).
There's a cat cafe opening in my city, and the issue has gotten pretty controversial.
Many people LOVE the idea, but others are worried that the cats taken from shelter are going to be mistreated or feel nervous in the environment of many people coming and going.
How do you guys feel about it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2015, 06:30 PM,
lexinonomous Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Cat cafe - are you for or against?
I am really surprised that something like this exists. What isn't surprising to me is that of all places, it's happening in Japan. Japan seems to always have fun little experiences.

I don't know if this is something I'd like to experience. I wouldn't be able to handle being surrounded by that many animals at once, while trying to enjoy my food or drink. I can only hope the cats are treated wonderfully and get plenty of attention throughout the day, but it's definitely not my cup of tea (no pun intended.)
12-06-2015, 11:05 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

I have really mixed feelings about this. The good thing is that cats that live in the cafe are taken from animal shelter (and have a chance of getting adopted), but I'm sort of worried about them being tired of constant human presence.
I also wouldn't want to go to the cafe because I'm more of a dog than a cat person Smile (definitely wouldn't want to see a cafe like this with dogs!).
I like cats, but I'm sort of tired of seeing them everywhere on the net. Where I live there are many more cat people that say stuff like "Cats are selfish, they rule. Dogs are so stupid with their submission and blind love" and it makes me have sort of a hype backlash regarding cats.
The coffee is probably going to be expensive as hell there, so it's definitely not something for a cheap student like me...
12-09-2015, 03:50 PM,
Butterbelly's Buddy Offline

While I can't see any harm in a cat cafe, I just don't understand what makes it so different from a shelter except that shelters don't sell you coffee while you are visiting the animals. My only concern would be that people who already have cats that may have gotten them on a whim, will decide to dump their cats on the cafe and not being a shelter, the cafe will reject a lot of the dumped ones. What happens to them? I would also be worried about someone who is not a cat person, engaging with the cats and inadvertently (or purposely) antagonizing one and the cat lashes out, next thing you know the client complains and the cat is put on death row. Wouldn't there be a constant drive to get cuter and more personable cats? What happens to those who don't make the grade? I just think that maybe this is something that is best left to the shelters. If people want to play with cats or pet some cats, there are plenty just dying for some attention at your local shelter.
12-10-2015, 05:18 AM,
Elfprincess Offline

Yeah, people here are also worried about the cafe being closed down over a cat scratching someone.
I think that the main difference between a shelter and a cafe is that a visit to cafe is fashionable and fun, while going to shelter can be traumatizing and that's why many people who love the idea of petting cats at the cafe are not really into helping out at pet shelters.
The cafe gets cats from the shelter, though - not from other people (at least right now, I guess they wouldn't mind taking in a single cat from an owner if they had a good reason).
I think that the cat cafe idea is sort of selfish. It does more good for people than cats.
05-14-2016, 09:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 09:51 PM by maxen57.)
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
I really don't see the point in opening a cafe that has cats in it simply to attract cat lovers as customers. These customers may also have cats at home and when people go to cafes, they simply want to relax and have something to eat or drink. I don't think I'd relax with too many cats around because they might jump on me. Besides, this is detrimental fs you want all sorts of people as potential customers walking into your cafe because there might be people who are allergic to cats and they won't be able to spend their time on your cafe. Also, depending on the type of owner, you cannot be sure if the cats are properly taken care of, if they were up to date with vaccines or if they are being feed right.
05-17-2016, 07:49 AM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
I'm guessing that the cafe idea is intended for people who love cats but are unable to keep them at home. I don't know about Japan but, in the United States, it is difficult to find a landlord who will rent an apartment or home to someone with a cat. Before I was able to buy my own home, I had a lot of trouble finding a place that would take my cats, and was once evicted from an apartment because I didn't tell them that I had a cat, and my cat insisted on sitting in the window.

So I can appreciate that it might be relaxing for a cat lover to sip tea and play with cats, particularly if the cats are well socialized, as I suppose they are. I like dogs, but have never owned one, so I enjoy visiting people who have dogs sometimes. Of course, it depends on the dog, as some of them are simply annoying.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2016, 01:14 PM,
CatCuddler57 Offline

Threads: 5
I think that a cat cafe would be a great way for abandoned cats to get adopted. For the nice cats, they get contact with people who might fall in love with them and adopt them. The less friendly cats will get used to being in the presence of being with humans and become more friendly and then hopefully will find a home. In the meantime, the profits from cafe plus additional donations can go to letting the cats live comfortably without the threat of being put to sleep after two weeks. It could be a great addition for shelters to loan out cats to get adopted, switching out cats every week to give them a break and introduce new cats into the public. This also would put less stress on the people who love cats to come and visit a cat to play without committing to getting one if they can't afford one or live in a small studio apartment.
06-12-2016, 08:42 PM,
Novelangel Offline

Threads: 4
I've never heard of cat cafes before but I have heard of dog cafes where people can take their OWN dog and the store sells dog treats and toys, among other things. I don't see much wrong with the concept of a cat cafe except that there are a lot of cats who don't get along well with other cats. I can only imagine the caterwauling that must go on when two or more get face to face and start complaining about each other, let alone when they actually break out into a cat-room brawl. They would have to screen the cats very carefully to make sure that each little puss was calm and laid back, not high strung or anti-social. Plus, it would seem that there would necessarily be the stink of litter boxes all over the place, which might decrease your enjoyment of your drink or food. I can't understand even one syllable of Japanese, nor do I read it, but it LOOKS as though the whole purpose of this cat cafe is to eventually adopt out these cats, which to me, is a wonderful thing. If they have ways of dealing with cats not getting along, or offensive odors, then it sounds like a great little place to me. I'd go there just to pet the kitties, forget about food and drink. I'd love to see something like this in my own hometown except that if I went in there my cat would probably accuse me of cheating on her.
08-26-2016, 12:30 AM,
rz3300 Offline

Threads: 0
Well I have heard of them, but I cannot say that I have been to one or even really know if there are any around here where I live. That said, though, I love the idea. This is something where I can just say "why not?" and if there is somebody who does not like the idea, then do not go. Simple as that. It does make me curious to see the arguments of people who are against it, but then again that seems like it is their problem and I can let them deal with that. For me, it might not really be the place I would go all the time, but i can see myself giving it a try. Very interesting, and thanks for sharing.
08-26-2016, 03:03 AM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I have a vague recollection of the concept of cat cafes. The idea has noble origins intended to get people to interact with kittens. I believe this should yield a dividend with regard to lowered stress levels as people feel good when they have cuddly interaction with kiddies, its therapeutic. But in a sense, its unintentionally inhumane because the kittie's lives would be interrupted and imperiled through constant interaction with strangers. Especially when you consider the fact that some people are not gentle and even sadistic as well as rough kids. Though cats are good at handling adverse situations than dogs, the whole concept should be geared to watching them lead their own lives in a natural setting. There is also the issue of fur blowing from their coats from excessive handling which can cause allergies and even asthma to those who are prone. When push comes to shove, I would not vouch for the concept.
08-26-2016, 03:05 AM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
I have a vague recollection of the concept of cat cafes. The idea has noble origins intended to get people to interact with kittens. I believe this should yield a dividend with regard to lowered stress levels as people feel good when they have cuddly interaction with kiddies, its therapeutic. But in a sense, its unintentionally inhumane because the kittie's lives would be interrupted and imperiled through constant interaction with strangers. Especially when you consider the fact that some people are not gentle and even sadistic as well as rough kids. Though cats are good at handling adverse situations than dogs, the whole concept should be geared to watching them lead their own lives in a natural setting. There is also the issue of fur blowing from their coats from excessive handling which can cause allergies and even asthma to those who are prone. When push comes to shove, I would not vouch for the concept save for the fact that families would adopt the animals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,086 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,341 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,674 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,604 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,930 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,896 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,405 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,296 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,341 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,406 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,823 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,523 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,543 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Declawing Your Cat CatCuddler57 1 3,224 08-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Last Post: rz3300