LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat food that your cat rejects
09-08-2012, 03:29 AM,
footballtim Offline

Threads: 10
Cat food that your cat rejects
Tabitha, my older cat has to eat kidney food, but I had to go through many different foods to find the one that my young Bengal actually likes.

She quickly got sick of Evangers wet or dry food, Fussy Cat and Wet Meow Mix (Not the pate'). She would not touch 9-lives. She will eat Meow Mix pate', but now she just got hooked on Whiskas dry food. She has never been a fan of table scraps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 12:51 AM,
minnow Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Cat food that your cat rejects
The only canned foods my Bella will eat are the chunky ones that look like they should be served to people. She won't eat the pate at all or regular types of cat food. She also won't eat anything that has salmon in it. First cat I've ever seen that won't eat salmon.
09-11-2012, 12:19 AM,
Msmonkeyfeet Offline

Threads: 2
My cat will eat any dry food I give her but she refuses to eat the pâté type of any moist cat food. She prefers the shredded and meaty bits for some reason. I just recently adopted a kitten and he seems to have the same eating habits which is great since now I don't have to buy two different types of foods to satisfy each of them!
11-23-2012, 02:42 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
For the first time in a year, I have seen one of our cats reject wet food. He loves this stuff and will scratch, claw and even kill anyone in his way to get wet food. This weekend, I purchased expensive natural cat food that was on sale and had all healthy stuff. He ignored it and only had little bites.

Usually, I buy wet natural food, but he scarfs it down.
12-11-2012, 02:20 AM,
JaimieSkye Offline

Threads: 10
Both of my cats will not touch wet food. It really sucked when my 14 year old cat was about 2 and he had urinary stones. The vet told us to only allow wet food for a few months. He lost so much weight because he would only eat a little bit when he was really starving hungry. They will eat any dry food I put in front of them though.
12-31-2012, 04:48 PM,
froncikle Offline

Threads: 2
My cat would eat only a specific brand of cat food. Rather, she eats some others too, but dislikes them and meows when she doesn't get her favorite brand. She doesn't even eat cooked meat (she does like the piece of raw meat I give her from time to time), but rather just plays around with it.

As "desert", I often give her milk, as she loves it. She actually can't wait for me to get up in the morning so she can receive her daily dose of milk.

She rarely would eat canned cat meat, but that is because I fed her that meat when she was a kitten, so she is fairly used to it. She won't taste a lot of it though. I swear they put something addictive in the dry food for cats.

Though I have to admit that the other two cats eat what anyone would expect the cat to eat - any meat, dry food, milk, etc.
01-01-2013, 05:12 AM,
SinatraBuddy Offline

My little guy will not touch pâté soft cat food - I have him iams and he wouldn't even get near it - he'll eat nature's choice but not happily.

He most likes baby food chicken and turkey and also readily accept beef and ham and loves light cream - he also loves whiskas cat milk on the occasion that ill let him have it ( it is all sugar so he only gets it once in a while).

He seems to really like his dry science diet kitten food.
And - though he acts like he is being martyred the entire time I feed it to him Undecided - he is willing to take nature's choice chucks soft kitten food - I generally don't bother wi pâté anything any more bc he will only eat enough to not be starving and otherwise rejects it -

Baby meat, cream, and science diet are my kittens favorites :-)
01-05-2013, 02:14 PM,
FlanneryCam Offline

Threads: 4
When my kitten first had his UTI and crystals, he rejected the dry version of the Science Diet food he needed to be on. But he would eat the wet food of the Science Diet stuff. Smile Funny cat. He's super sick and he's being picky about his foods.
01-22-2013, 06:26 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
My cat has IBD - Inflamed Bowel disease, so if he eats a food with some certain ingredient in it, things get pretty bad pretty fast. Last time, he was on IAMS and he ended up pooping blood!

I have tried many different foods, he tried those Nature's Limited Ingredient ones, and he would not touch them, same goes for the Vet Royal Canin digestion food.

We ended up on Felidae Senior food, for the wet food, and Lifetime Oatmeal, Turkey and Chicken.

My cats eat it up like it is candy, they love it so much! It is good for them too, and doesn't upset my boy's tummy so I am very glad I found this combination!
01-25-2014, 08:50 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

Picky cats are made by owners, not born. I realize that some pets have no choice but to be on a prescription diet because of health issue and often reject the new food. This unfortunately cannot be helped but eventually your cat will get used to it.

Your cat will not starve itself. It will only lay in waiting for your guilt to overwhelm you to a point where you give in. Just don't give in! I promise you that with a little restraint and self control, your cat will eat. I do encourage a quality cat food and discourage canned food. Cats and dogs alike need the crunch to help keep their teeth clean. There is a direct link between plaque and tarter buildup and heart disease. The best prevention of this is to give your cat crunchy food to aid in the cleaning of the teeth.

I am always shocked when people get on here and giggle about the table scraps and so called treats that they give their pets. If you have time to post in a forum then you should have time to research what is healthy and what is potentially toxic to your pets.

Check out this link for information.
http://www.cat-world.com.au/human-foods-...us-to-cats

Cat owners, educate yourself and don't love your cat to death...literally.
01-29-2014, 02:37 PM,
cashcrater1111 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
My cat was having breakouts on her neck, leaving me worried and freaking out. She does not have fleas, but I gave her a flea-bath with baby shampoo just to be sure. The scabs remained. I assumed then that it was a food problem, so I put her on Purina One Sensitive Systems. It seemed to help for months, then the scabs started again, eventually moving down her neck to her back. I have recently switched her to Nutro Grain-free cat food, and though she loves it, she had ten hairballs in the course of a night a few days in. I've had her for a year and before that, she'd had maybe two.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
02-01-2014, 09:23 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

(01-29-2014, 02:37 PM)cashcrater1111 Wrote: My cat was having breakouts on her neck, leaving me worried and freaking out. She does not have fleas, but I gave her a flea-bath with baby shampoo just to be sure. The scabs remained. I assumed then that it was a food problem, so I put her on Purina One Sensitive Systems. It seemed to help for months, then the scabs started again, eventually moving down her neck to her back. I have recently switched her to Nutro Grain-free cat food, and though she loves it, she had ten hairballs in the course of a night a few days in. I've had her for a year and before that, she'd had maybe two.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

You say breakouts on your cats neck. Can you describe it better? Does she wear a collar, a flea collar? Please stop bathing your cat in baby shampoo or human shampoo. Our pH is different than that of animals. You are doing more harm that good by using human products on an animal. Let's start there..and if you do not see fleas, why would you give a flea bath? I don't understand why you are taking these steps.

Is she licking, chewing, scratching, eating and drinking well? Is her skin pink, red, inflamed or normal? Are the "breakouts" bloody, open wounds? Does she have claws? Is she losing hair? How old is your cat? Is it indoor or outdoor? Spayed? Up to date on vaccines? Dewormed?

What prompted you to move to the different cat foods? They are good foods but I am just curious so I can get the whole picture.

Hairballs....its not the food. What breed is the cat? Apparently your cat needs some hairball medicine. They sell that everywhere.

If you provide me with more info I may be able to offer some suggestions or solutions. Sorry, have to have some history.
03-30-2014, 07:14 AM,
Padwolf Offline

Threads: 0
My cats are very picky with their food. We even once bought them one of the most expensive brands (James Wellbeloved!) And yet they still turned their nose up at it. Though the worst part is, they reject that food, get cheaper food, have that for a while, then reject it and go back to the food they rejected in the first place. It feels like you just can't win when it comes to cat food.
04-01-2014, 12:12 AM,
brianapaige619 Offline

Both of my kittens are extremely picky when it comes to both wet and dry food. I try to stay far away from any cheaper brands because they usually will not go for them at all. I also switch brands every time I purchase new food. The variety of brands seems to help with their pickiness, as they both seem to get bored with one type of food if I feed it to them for too long.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,080 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,339 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,673 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,603 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,930 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,893 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,403 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,293 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,340 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,404 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,819 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,522 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,542 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,577 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant