LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cherry shrimp
03-07-2012, 03:36 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
Cherry shrimp
After cleaning one of my tanks today I realized I have 1 cherry shrimp survivor of 6 I had shipped to me recently. I'm sure some of it is because they didn't include a heat pack in my order so now I guess I need to find some more. I'm not sure how "happy" a lone shrimp would really be and I needed the guys to work over my tank some!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 05:45 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Cherry shrimp
I've bought cherry shrimps twice from Aquabid.com
They were never able to increase their population because I had them in a 10 gallon community tank with a few fish...the one where my home bred Dwarf Gourami is in. All small shrimps were eaten I guess, but there are still several adult cherry shrimps alive.

In my other tank, I set free 13 Yellow Shrimps (same species as red cherry shrimps, but different color). They bred like crazy because there is one huge java moss. A few months later, I was able to move over 50 of them to my 40 gallon community tank without even noticing any decrease in the population in the 10 gallon.

You can buy Red Cherry shrimps for as low as $14 shipped with 10+ of them from Aquabid.com
Yellow Shrimps are more expensive because they are less common than red cherry.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2012, 02:01 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
I've found a place to buy more of these arthropods. I buy from a few sellers on Aquabid, but pretty much don't like the site overall as some of the sellers are quite dishonest and I've had to do claims/disputes with Paypal over them.
03-11-2012, 02:12 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(03-11-2012, 02:01 AM)Onyx Wrote: I've found a place to buy more of these arthropods. I buy from a few sellers on Aquabid, but pretty much don't like the site overall as some of the sellers are quite dishonest and I've had to do claims/disputes with Paypal over them.

I've had pretty good experiences on aquabid.com
Although I have only purchased a few times. Just some shrimps and snails.
I bought red cherry shrimps twice, yellow shrimps once, zebra nerite snail once, assassin snails once.

One seller screwed up the Zebra Nerite snail shipment, 2 out of 3 were dead on arrival. He sent out another shipment of 6 for free after I showed him the photos. Good guy.
03-13-2012, 08:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Have you bought your new shrimps yet?

For your poor purchase experience,
That is the reason why I always check the sellers' rating and feedback first. You may call me biased toward new sellers who have 0 feedback. You can't go wrong with people having rating of something like 590 good out of 594 transactions. Those are the only sellers I buy from.

So, pick your sellers well. Smile

In any case, if you want the shrimps to breed, you need to have some java moss in the tank whether or not you have fish in it. They love fine leafed plants as hiding places, and it provides them a natural food source on the top of what you give to them.
03-13-2012, 11:01 PM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
Have you tried any other fine leafed plants except java moss?I dare not touch some weird real plants lol.Different shrimps like different plants,right?
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(03-13-2012, 11:01 PM)Monica9975 Wrote: Have you tried any other fine leafed plants except java moss?I dare not touch some weird real plants lol.Different shrimps like different plants,right?

I guess you have no idea what Java moss is.

Just Google it to see how "scary" it is. Tongue

It doesn't matter what types of shrimps. They just like to hide in fine leafed plants, so they would not get eaten by the fish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freshwater Shrimp for Aquarium Thor 8 22,539 09-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Last Post: ohiotom76
  Update of my Crystal Red Shrimp tank golfwang 4 4,124 07-13-2012, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Ram