Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens would have made popular pets if they are better looking
03-31-2012, 02:17 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
Wink  Chickens would have made popular pets if they are better looking
If the chickens are prettier, I am sure lots of people would have had them as pets. They don't even require cages like most other pet birds. All you need is a backyard. It is a relatively big bird, can't fly in most cases, walk on their legs, and can find their way back home. They may also produce you food. Why not? Only if they are prettier. :p

I had a friend who call the adult chickens "disgusting". Well, it is not their fault. Their wild form is actually quite nice looking. We domesticated them for tens thousands of years if not longer, which had altered their look. The newly hatched chicks are actually very cute.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM,
Mels Bee Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Chickens would have made popular pets if they are better looking
I was lucky to have had chooks growing up.Bantams mostly who were always very broody and then there was Spud!!!!Spud was a Rhode Island red hen who had a whole lot of chickentude.Spud would always cum a runnin at the very sound of the back door opening which always stirred the other chooks up.Then we had Henny Penny who was just an ordinary red shaver who was the boss of the property lol.Henny Penny sure as heck never had a problem putting anyone in their place human or other was always a great laugh watching unsuspecting animals or people stray into her patch.I think any chook is pretty as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Oh and having free range eggs was just awsome indeed.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 01:09 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

I don't eat much eggs now, but be able to produce your own eggs is nice. One of my aunts have several chickens in her backyard. She told me they won't lay eggs without her feeding them whole grain. What do you feed them?
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM,
Mels Bee Offline

Threads: 6
When we had our chooks we feed them vege scraps but also good quality layers mash and pellets.Our girls had free rain of the yard so they also ate whatever they foraged for ie snails,spiders etc was pretty cool to watch them when they had found live prey as they all literally went chicken crazy lol.
06-03-2012, 12:24 AM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
I've seen much uglier pets than chickens. Some fish, for example. Smile Also, that sounds quite awesome, Mels Bee. I've never thought of chickens as potential pets, but I have heard of it with sheep. A bit of a random question, but where do chickens go to poop, though?
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 09:23 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Birds don't go to specific places to poop. They have really short Intestine, thus they can't hold it.
They will drop whenever they have it.

In the case of chickens poop in the garden, it's free fertilizer. Birds don't digest that well, so it's very rich fertilizer for your garden.
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM,
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
Perhaps I'm odd but I think chickens are cute in their own way. I actually know a few people who live in the suburbs and keep a pet chicken or two. Of course they all have huge back yards for the chickens to roam. My dad's aunty actually has a chicken that likes following people around.

I think they make great pets and of course there is the added bonus of having freshly laid eggs. Although I'm not sure I could eat them ha ha.

Roosters however are another story. I know of one person who adopted a rooster and it wakes the whole neighbourhood up each morning at dawn without fail.
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012, 07:15 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

I am getting waken up by birds here every morning while it's still dark. It sucks to be awake at around 4am lol. Having a rooster would be more troublesome because they are one of the louder birds.

I don't see why you can't eat the eggs from your own chicken. You are in control of what the chicken eat. Less chance of contamination.
06-07-2012, 01:36 AM,
Rphoenix Offline

That's why most people I know have the chicks as pets - but that's it. Once they grown into adult chickens, it's time to give them away or sell them...

Or even worse, cook them ,_, which personally I can never do to a pet I've nurtured and cared for for so long.
06-11-2012, 06:36 AM,
Sian Lewis Offline

Threads: 0
I love my chickens and I think they're beautiful! Plus they have the most amazing little personalities.

Certain breeds of chickens are prettier than others, such as bantams or silkies but I can't say I've ever seen an ugly chicken.

They make great pets and are certainly growing in popularity as the desire to have free range, organic eggs increases.

I wouldn't be without my girls now.
06-11-2012, 02:27 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

I should also add that hens are capable of laying eggs without a rooster. Those eggs are so called "veggie eggs". Because these are unfertilized eggs, and they can't hatch into chicks. If you couldn't bear the thought of eating chicks every day, you can forget about that in this case. Big Grin I first heard of it over a decade ago from some vegetarians, they keep only hens so they can eat unfertilized "veggie eggs". You get protein, and no chick is killed in your imagination. Smile
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM,
tajnz Offline

(06-11-2012, 02:27 PM)Ram Wrote: I should also add that hens are capable of laying eggs without a rooster. Those eggs are so called "veggie eggs". Because these are unfertilized eggs, and they can't hatch into chicks. If you couldn't bear the thought of eating chicks every day, you can forget about that in this case. Big Grin I first heard of it over a decade ago from some vegetarians, they keep only hens so they can eat unfertilized "veggie eggs". You get protein, and no chick is killed in your imagination. Smile

Oh wow, I've never heard of "veggie eggs" before! I'm actually a vegetarian and while I'm not vegan I feel a little uneasy about eating normal eggs. It's nice to know that there are unfertilized eggs available. :-) I'm glad I'm not the only one to see a chick in my imagination when contemplating eggs.
07-02-2012, 05:13 AM,
Kronos Offline

I'd have a pet chicken if I could, but that really isn't an option for me.
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
When I was in elementary school, we hatched chicken eggs a few times as part of school lessons. When they were hatched, I got to take the whole litter home over the weekend a couple of times.

My parents let me adopt a couple of them over the years. They were so cute. When they were young, we had them in the house in a breathable box. Then, my Dad built a chicken coop. They did make good pets.

The last one I adopted had a surprise for us. It turned out to be a rooster! After several mornings with neighbors complaining about the new neighborhood alarm clock, we made a trade for a chicken with our friend who was a farmer.
07-02-2012, 11:41 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(07-02-2012, 05:13 AM)Kronos Wrote: I'd have a pet chicken if I could, but that really isn't an option for me.
All you need is a small backyard, or front yard for that matter. Smile
Are you living in an apartment?

(07-02-2012, 12:23 PM)TreeClimber Wrote: It turned out to be a rooster! After several mornings with neighbors complaining about the new neighborhood alarm clock, we made a trade for a chicken with our friend who was a farmer.

Most people I have seen with chickens are with hens. Roosters won't be appreciated by the neighbors for sure unless they are all early morning person who can use an alarm clock. They can be territorial with each other as well.
07-03-2012, 12:39 AM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
Well, once i had a bad experience with roosters. A cock gave me a peck when i visited a friend who had some cocks and hens. I didn't do anything bad to those chickens,i just don't know why that cock bite me till now. Cocks left bad expression on me,anyway i won't keep chickens as pets. And i believe that chickens won't be popular pets even though they look beautiful. Anyone keep peacocks as pets? Peacocks are more beautiful than cocks,but seldom people own them.
03-01-2013, 04:18 AM,
Yatte Offline

Chickens are such versatile birds, the provide meat, eggs and fertiliser. Some of them can fly especially the bantams, all of the species are not big either, a grown Sebright rooster weighs up to 750 grams (That is the size of a quail).

How can these guys be ugly?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY8KtfRHjrwwEC0ocS1DN...z1YWRyogob]

A Yokohama Rooster

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcXDxhwZG65nunG6w16Xh...3I0w-cKhnI]

Japanese Bantam

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuiWy5p1AjZ3EsyYn4SBU...L34Z7Gqd6A]

Golden Sebright Rooster

They all have their own personalities, though some of the breeds my be feisty some of them are as docile as lambs.
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
When in Florida, I had chickens as pets. They were all Cochin Bantams. the rooster was a Buff Cochin, and the hens were a mixture of Cochin and Silkies, all in-bred.

I raised them all from babies and had the rooster "Babee," trained to come at my call. That way I could get him back to the cage and the hens would soon come a running.

They were very smart and knew to hide under bushes if hawks and owls, were in the area. The larger type chickens are not very bright when it comes to protecting themselves from becoming dinner for a hungry owl or fox.

My problem in keeping them was the opposems would get them at night by reaching through the wire and ripping their rear ends.

I had my coop and outdoor fence layered with wire trying to protect the chickens. I finally gave up, and gave my chickens away. I enjoy watching them out in the yard eating bug and worms.

I was given a Black Rosecomb, bantam rooster. He was mean and would attack me if I got to close. These roosters are often used in Florida, and elsewhere for cock fights. I did not keep him very long.
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

(03-01-2013, 04:18 AM)Yatte Wrote: How can these guys be ugly?

Roosters are generally better looking than hens. That is for certain. It is common for all birds and many other species to have better looking males than females.

I believe my friend was referring to the hens "they are ugly" since they are more common.

Ordinary roosters aren't as pretty as the ones in your pictures. Are those ones from some kind of chicken beauty contests? Tongue
03-03-2013, 02:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013, 02:50 AM by Yatte.)
Yatte Offline

Quote:Roosters are generally better looking than hens. That is for certain. It is common for all birds and many other species to have better looking males than females.

Thor, not all hens are worse looking that the roosters, they are just simpler looking, not so many thrills, curls and bravado. In the Sebrights for instance the hens looks almost like the roosters, the only have smaller combs.

The chickens in the pictures I posted are show poultry, so you might have the beauty contest statement right, they are know as rare breeds but some of them are actually quite common.

[Image: photo.php?fbid=4495879067974&set=o.16308...t=1&ref=nf]

The girl in this photo are one of my own, a blue partridge pekin bantam, just as beautiful as a rooster. I took the photo at the place I got them. they are staying in a nice big cage now.
03-05-2013, 05:35 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
I personally think chickens are very cute and gorgeous animals and I think there is a huge list of animals that have terrible looks compared to the chicken. I actually find chickens very cute which is a small reason I always wanted to live on a farm for some time in my life. I honestly find them adorable and I don't see why some people are reluctant to have them. For example: I would choose a chicken as a pet over a snake at any given day.
05-30-2013, 05:39 AM,
amundy8 Offline

Bantams are cuter because they are smaller and may pass for pets. I have eaten chicken for so long that I would not want a chicken as a pet, since I view them as food. It is not because of its unappealing look to pass as a pet. It would be to hard because of it's general reputataion.I may get attached to it, but I would not take chances for fear I would have a hunger spell at KFC. I have seen people kill chickens for food before and it was not a pretty sight. I would like to have them for laying eggs as the closest thing to being a pet. Otherwise, they would not make great pets for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Birds versus other pets remnant 4 2,632 03-24-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Anawilliam850
  How To Treat Chickens With A runny nose and Prevention Methods dagatructiephomnay 1 977 03-24-2023, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Anawilliam850
  Backyard Organic Chickens Bloomsie 12 5,580 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Last Post: CodyCobey
  Do pet birds get avian flu like chickens do ? Happyflowerlady 2 3,216 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Last Post: remnant
  Are chickens noisy and smelly? Julie 17 16,311 06-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Doves as pets remnant 1 2,090 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Thor
  is it possible to keep crows/ravens as pets? Ofnir 1 2,667 04-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Wild Birds Can Be Pets 4sweed 5 6,998 07-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady