LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collars or No?
02-22-2012, 09:27 AM,
Onyx Offline

Threads: 25
Collars or No?
What do you guys prefer in general, just a microchip for your cat, or shipped along with wearing a collar?

I have two cats, both of which are microchipped, but I don't keep collars on them. They are house pets but I'm always concerned about the probability of them getting snagged on something.

I know there are pros and cons of having a collar, even a break-away collar. How do you handle the situation with your cat(s)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2012, 07:31 PM by Karenskatz.)
Karenskatz Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Collars or No?
If your cat goes out or can sneak out, by all means have a tag on him. Any neighbor that finds him can read the tag and get him back to you right away. A collar or harness is also visable sign that this is an owned cat and not a stray. But cat collars are designed to stretch or break if they get caught, because unlike dogs, cats climb and can get that collar hung-up on something and strangle (and NEVER use a dog collar on a cat). Most of my cats go collarless because they never go out and my place is relatively escape proof. I had one cat though who went out on a tie-out or for walks on a leash, as well as trying to sneak out on his own, so he wore a harness ALL the time, with ID tags on it. And I will have collars on cats that haven't been chipped yet. Any cats that travel with me wear a harness with tags. But cat collars come off, and I have had the occational cat get out of a harness, so I ALWAYS MICROCHIP!!!! A tag is quick and easy for the adverage person to read without a scanner, but a microchip is something the cat can't wiggle out of! After two trips to Katrina, I'm ready to chip anything that moves!
And while we're on the subject, urge your Veterinarian to scan any new animal coming into their practice, and then run the chip registry. If it was chipped by the shelter, this will check that it's readable and remind the new owner to register the chip if they haven't. If it was stray, free-to-a-good-home, or a gift from a friend, it might turn out to be someone's missing pet that they've been searching for quite a while to find. Furthermore, if your pet gets lost and it's been months or years and you've given up ever seeing them again, if you move or change your phone number, notify the microchip registry! Pets have been found years later and several states away, and gotten home again thanks to that microchip. But it only works if you keep that contact info up to date!!!!!
02-23-2012, 02:39 AM,
bw Offline

I have three cats and they are totally indoor. The youngest is about 8 and he has not been out side since he was brought in as a little kitten found in the park, starving. The two girls, mother & daughter have not been outside since they were brought in about 15 years ago when mom was found with her kittens. We found home for all the kittens but one and kept her and mom. They are all spayed/neutered. No collars. As they do not even try to go outside they are not chipped either. They do get their shots and dental care, the male had surgery for urinary crystals a few years ago.
02-23-2012, 02:01 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
I remember the good old days... where I used to live, people just let their cats go out whenever they want without worrying lol.

When you talked about micro chip, I thought it was something you can track it on a handhold device with a screen and beeping faster when you get closer. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2012, 09:11 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

All of my cats (with one exception) have been strictly indoor, so I didn't think they needed to be microchiped. Then someone pointed out to me that all it takes is one broken window and they have an escape route. That's when I retro-fitted all my cats.
02-24-2012, 12:31 PM,
Beth Offline

Threads: 1
(02-22-2012, 07:21 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: If your cat goes out or can sneak out, by all means have a tag on him. Any neighbor that finds him can read the tag and get him back to you right away. A collar or harness is also visable sign that this is an owned cat and not a stray. But cat collars are designed to stretch or break if they get caught, because unlike dogs, cats climb and can get that collar hung-up on something and strangle (and NEVER use a dog collar on a cat). Most of my cats go collarless because they never go out and my place is relatively escape proof. I had one cat though who went out on a tie-out or for walks on a leash, as well as trying to sneak out on his own, so he wore a harness ALL the time, with ID tags on it. And I will have collars on cats that haven't been chipped yet. Any cats that travel with me wear a harness with tags. But cat collars come off, and I have had the occational cat get out of a harness, so I ALWAYS MICROCHIP!!!! A tag is quick and easy for the adverage person to read without a scanner, but a microchip is something the cat can't wiggle out of! After two trips to Katrina, I'm ready to chip anything that moves!
And while we're on the subject, urge your Veterinarian to scan any new animal coming into their practice, and then run the chip registry. If it was chipped by the shelter, this will check that it's readable and remind the new owner to register the chip if they haven't. If it was stray, free-to-a-good-home, or a gift from a friend, it might turn out to be someone's missing pet that they've been searching for quite a while to find. Furthermore, if your pet gets lost and it's been months or years and you've given up ever seeing them again, if you move or change your phone number, notify the microchip registry! Pets have been found years later and several states away, and gotten home again thanks to that microchip. But it only works if you keep that contact info up to date!!!!!

My cats are all indoor cats but with that being said there is always a chance they may get out. I did get mine chipped and also I put break away collars on them. I also put a small bell on the collar so I know where they are along with a small tag with my info on it in case they get away. I have had no trouble with the collars yet. I like the bell idea to as if they do get out the birds in the area will be warned by the sound of the bell. : )
05-30-2012, 11:45 PM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
ive tried to have a collar on mine, but he always ends up coming home without it..i got tired of paying for a new collar every week, so now he doesnt wear one.
05-31-2012, 01:41 AM,
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
We have both of our cats chipped when we got them from the shelter. We tried the collars but both of them managed to wriggle out of them within a few minutes to a few hours when we see the collar laying around on the floor. Both of them haven't been outside except the patio and they don't run towards the door or try to escape. They would just sit at the door when we come in before returning to their normal everyday routine.
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
My parents made the mistake of not giving a previous elderly cat a collar or a microchip. So when she decided to not come home one day, well, we never heard from her again. If I get a cat of my own, it won't just be a microchip; it won't just be a collar. It will be GPS. There's no way I'm going through the hurt that the loss caused me again. Not like that. She was a great friend since I was a very young child. Not knowing what happened to a pet is quite painful. I'd prefer closure, even if the truth isn't nice.
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
06-02-2012, 01:40 AM,
kyle_crafty Offline

Threads: 2
None of my cats have tags or collars (they eat through the collars and I can't afford to tag them) However I am pro micro-chipping my pets (NOT humans though.. this rfid thing is going too far). My old dog had a chip in him because he had the canine equivalent of downs syndrome. However for now my cats don't feel the need to go outside so tagging isn't really an issue (plus our door system is like an airlock, if a cat get's through the first door they are still inside >=) )
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM by tajnz.)
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
It's actually compulsory in New Zealand to have puppies micro chipped. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding cats however. When I had a cat growing up she would wear a collar as she enjoyed being both indoors and outdoors. If I ever adopt another cat I will definitely microchip it as well as make it wear a collar.

In New Zealand a lot of people will assume a cat is homeless if it doesn't have a collar and may try to keep it. It's also much simpler if a cat gets lost and it has an address tag as some people wouldn't think of taking it to the vet to get it scanned for a microchip. There are inventive collars and tags now that are less obtrusive and less likely to get caught.

Better safe than sorry I say ...
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM,
twinsmommy Offline

Threads: 0
I have my cat chipped, but I have never put a collar on him. He has never been outside and has never tried to get out, but that doesn't mean he never will.
07-17-2012, 12:09 PM,
neverforget98 Offline

Threads: 0
My cats have nothing. But if we did end up doing it, I would have to say I would probably chip them.
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
I have 2 strictly indoor kitties because we live in the country and we have coyotes. They are both microchipped and are wearing collars.

I also have 1 cat who is a strict outdoor. I found her in a drainage pipe and she isn't allowed to come inside because she doesn't get along with the rabbit. She isn't microchipped or collared.
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-19-2012, 06:59 AM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
My cat Dolores is an indoor cat and she's microchipped. She doesn't wear a collar because she's too grouchy to let me put one on her, and the apartment I want to move into is in a high rise building, so she would have to be Spiderman to escape through a window.
07-19-2012, 08:50 AM,
Laura Offline

I am too scared will get caught somewhere and choke because of the collar. So no, I never put neither of my cat a collar. They go outside but never really far. They always came back, finger crossed it will always be like that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think of collars with bells on suzjbibby 10 3,821 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Last Post: shaybearlv