LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
09-19-2013, 09:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 09:38 AM by pftsusan.)
pftsusan Offline

Threads: 3
Do You Have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
There are animals that are recognized, legally, as your Emotional Support Animals. Those animals can be cats, dogs, birds or any animal who is signed by your doctor or psychiatrist who helps you relieve emotional distress.

Right now the ADA is working on the laws regarding ESA's and their owners. Please see
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/1/prweb10377254.htm.

This means that they are considered a step above being your pets. They provide emotional support for you. That means that they are considered to be support animals.

When your animal is an ESA for your or your loved ones or both, landlords have to consider them when you move. That's by law. When they don't accept pets, they have to accept an ESA just like a service animal.

ESA's also get to ride for free with you, on the plane, in the cabin section, underneath your seat. Not in the cargo section where they can get injured, killed or lost.

My cat is the love of my life and a legal ESA, for me. How many of you share this with me or would like to learn more about this?

PS: This in no way means that your pets can not do this for you. They certainly can and will do it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2013, 05:20 AM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Do You Have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)
I could see people abusing this law though and bringing animals into places that are inappropriate for them though. While I'm sure many of us would all love to have our pets around us at all times, are we ready to deal with these pets possibly harming other people, biting them, biting other people's pet, biting people's kids? We could possibly wind up with people bringing their pets into restaurants and other places they probably shouldn't be.
09-22-2013, 09:04 AM,
pftsusan Offline

There are cases going on with Service Animals and ESA Animals for abuse. It's very hard to prove.

For an ESA, my cat stays with me and she travels on the plane, in the cabin section for free if we move out of state. I keep her in her own environment. That is hers. She in turn, is sensitive and takes very good care of me. :-)
09-27-2013, 02:28 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Susan, I think that this is an exceptional idea ! I am a senior lady, and my little Chipper is certainly a lot of emotional support for me, and I think that my doctor would certainly sign whatever paperwork is necessary.
I doubt that this I s abused a lot, since most people that have a pet declared an ESA would usually be considerate of other people, and of taking the animal in an inappropriate place.
I certainly understand that restaurants don't want dogs and cats in the establishment, and unless it were necessary, I would never try to bring Chipper inside.
But I do occasionally take trips on an airplane with my daughter, and would like to be able to bring Chipper along with me, and certainly would not want the little fellow stuck in with the luggage somewhere.
09-27-2013, 05:20 PM,
pftsusan Offline

I understand. I wouldn't take my cat with me in a restaurant either. Even when they are ESA's such as mine is, we still have to be responsible animal owners. I think that most of us are. It's that in renting, some landlords don't want animals. This is our ticket to keep us together no matter what. The ADA law says that Landlords must allow ESA's at no cost as well. Not all the establishments abide by the no pet fees especially when they didn't want animals there to begin with and now have to allow them because they are signed ESA's. There is the good and the bad with that. As long as she gets to stay with me, that's all that matters...These same places charge the disabled for their service dogs too and they could be fined for that. A service dog is not a pet, they are a trained working animal with the harness on. You never touvh them to pet them with harness on, because they are on duty.

(09-27-2013, 02:28 PM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: Susan, I think that this is an exceptional idea ! I am a senior lady, and my little Chipper is certainly a lot of emotional support for me, and I think that my doctor would certainly sign whatever paperwork is necessary.
I doubt that this I s abused a lot, since most people that have a pet declared an ESA would usually be considerate of other people, and of taking the animal in an inappropriate place.
I certainly understand that restaurants don't want dogs and cats in the establishment, and unless it were necessary, I would never try to bring Chipper inside.
But I do occasionally take trips on an airplane with my daughter, and would like to be able to bring Chipper along with me, and certainly would not want the little fellow stuck in with the luggage somewhere.
09-29-2013, 08:39 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Susan, thank you for all of the good information about registering a pet as an ESA animal ! I don't have any problem with my landlord, but I definitely would want something like this, if for some reason I was traveling and needed to take Chipper along. I wonder if they let you take ESA animals on a train or bus, since neither of those allow pets at all ?
Do you have to take paperwork along with you so that you can show someone to prove that this animal is a registered ESA animal ? I think that this information is great for older people like I am to know, since many of the senior citizens really depend on our little pets for companionship.
10-07-2013, 09:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013, 09:48 AM by pftsusan.)
pftsusan Offline

You would have to take the signed documents from doctor signing your animals as your ESA. As far as I know, this only includes the plane. I think that's because animals get sick on the bus or train. I wouldn't chance that. The plane is included in case you are moving out of the state and they will have to go with you. If you want to take him on a trip in plane, I don;t think that will be a problem.

(09-29-2013, 08:39 PM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: Susan, thank you for all of the good information about registering a pet as an ESA animal ! I don't have any problem with my landlord, but I definitely would want something like this, if for some reason I was traveling and needed to take Chipper along. I wonder if they let you take ESA animals on a train or bus, since neither of those allow pets at all ?
Do you have to take paperwork along with you so that you can show someone to prove that this animal is a registered ESA animal ? I think that this information is great for older people like I am to know, since many of the senior citizens really depend on our little pets for companionship.

You would have to take the signed documents from doctor signing your animals as your ESA. As far as I know, this only includes the plane. I think that's because animals get sick on the bus or train. I wouldn't chance that. The plane is included in case you are moving out of the state and they will have to go with you. If you want to take him on a trip in plane, I don;t think that will be a problem.

(09-29-2013, 08:39 PM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: Susan, thank you for all of the good information about registering a pet as an ESA animal ! I don't have any problem with my landlord, but I definitely would want something like this, if for some reason I was traveling and needed to take Chipper along. I wonder if they let you take ESA animals on a train or bus, since neither of those allow pets at all ?

01-17-2014, 05:09 PM,
nomibucha Offline

Threads: 1
if you are already in a situation with housing with your pet, then getting a letter to support ESA could be futile --- the reason is you must report your need of ESA with proof PRIOR to bringing ESA into housing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Animal In The World As A Pet 4sweed 20 7,171 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Eating with your animal Laura 28 10,547 06-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Last Post: maryannballeras
  Carnivore or herbivore? Which animal make better pets? Ram 4 4,775 05-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  Do you give to animal charities? Pocs 25 9,856 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Danyel72
Tongue Who is your childhood animal hero? Ram 34 12,459 08-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Cooking for your animal? Laura 11 5,434 03-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Witnessing an animal's death Mantis 27 12,716 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Last Post: nomibucha
  A Letter from a Gas Chamber Man in an Animal Shelter MythsDreams 1 3,370 01-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Ram
  Homeless Animal Day + raising shelter money Jessi 2 3,030 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Last Post: footballtim
  Is your pet a service animal? Tasha 2 2,959 06-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Tasha
  Genetic engineered pets or animal in general Ram 7 5,152 04-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Fishbone