LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you buy birthday or Christmas gifts for your pets?
07-13-2012, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM by ACSAPA.)
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
Heart  Do you buy birthday or Christmas gifts for your pets?
Every holiday season, I see these displays at Walmart of doggy jackets, doggy sweaters and Christmas stockings for dogs.
I just saw a video yesterday of a dog having a birthday party, complete with a dog food birthday cake that had mashed potato icing.

Do you ever have celebrations like these with your pets? How far do you go for your animals? The most I do is buy dog treats and edible things for my dog. I don't think he would understand those pink doggy Christmas stockings at Walmart, but he understands food.

Do you think dog gifts are a waste of money? I personally would rather make a donation to the Humane Society than buy a Santa outfit or "I'm the birthday dog." shirt for my dog, but that's just my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2012, 10:21 AM,
pugskjj Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Do you buy birthday or Christmas gifts for your pets?
Oh my! This question reminds me it's more than half way to Christmas!! Yes my pups get presents from "Sandy Paws" but they are all edible toys or toys they would like. I fill a stocking and they get to head in nose first. My girls are spoiled rotten. I don't buy them clothes for Christmas though, they do have outfits (mainly to keep my tiny chihuahuas warm in winter) but they didn't get them for Christmas. I also don't do the birthday party thing, I do know when each was born but they don't get celebrated because they get treats all the time anyway.

[Image: 390149_10100521947724492_687150143_n.jpg]
07-13-2012, 11:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM by ACSAPA.)
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
That is an adorable picture.Heart

Well, at least you give your dog presents that are edible or toys. I don't really get the doggy Santa outfits, because not only is it a dog outfit, but it's a dog outfit that can only be worn one day a year. That's kind of a waste.

I did buy my Jack Russell terrier a sweater last winter but that was more about practicality because smaller dogs get cold in the winter.

I saw a video that in places like Mexico City and Japan, there are cafes for dogs to sit and have a meal. I even saw a segment about a dog bakery.
I doubt that dogs understand any of this stuff, it seems like it's mostly for the owners and it seems a little impractical.
07-14-2012, 05:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012, 05:48 AM by laurasav.)
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
I've always celebrated my animals' birthdays. I sing happy birthday to them. I give them special treats and sometimes a new toy. I don't buy them clothes though. Currently, I have three cats and two parrots. They all get fussed over for their bdays. My Quaker loves the happy bday song and often sings it just out of the blue! I used to buy my animals special Christmas gifts, but I've gotten away from that. I'm not fond of Christmas anymore since it's always brought too much strife & heartache in my family. I love the "Reason for the season, Jesus," but as for all the hoopla & commercialization of the holiday - not into it anymore. My hubby & I exchange special gifts, but that's about it anymore.

Love the cute pic, pugskjj! :-)
07-14-2012, 07:04 AM,
thetit4n Offline

Threads: 3
We do at our house. And my dog always seems to know when she has something coming for her.
07-15-2012, 10:37 PM,
louise1341 Offline

Threads: 1
As both mine were rescue dogs I don't really know when their birthdays are but we decided to celebrate each dogs birthday on the same day as the children's birthday. I have to admit that I don't make a fuss over their "birthdays" like the children do as I know deep down that the date is wrong but it does help to keep track how old they are!

I can't say that I've ever bought my dogs either birthday or Christmas gifts as I'm normally too strapped for cash with buying other things but I do make sure that I give them a little more attention than normal and perhaps a few extra treats.

At the end of the day some dogs love the extra attention and some dogs don't but as long as both owner and pet are happy it doesn't really do anyone any harm does it? If a dog owner has the cash to spend on silly dog gifts for Christmas then why not?
07-16-2012, 05:45 AM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
Yes, every christmas we would buy a bunch of toys for our dogs (all 3 have since passed on). Although the peculiar thing was they seemed to have more fun ripping the wrapping paper off of them than they toys themselves. Then they would want to go diving into all the wrapping paper for another hour or so.

For their birthdays we would usually take them to dairy queen and get them an ice cream cone.

Although I'm pretty sure their absolute favorite holiday hands down would be thanksgiving.
07-16-2012, 09:43 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
I do buy them presents in form of dog treats and dog toys but outfits are another story. I'd rather enjoy them ripping out a stuff toy or curling up in a dog pillow than wearing something that only serves the purposed of my personal satisfaction.

I also cook special occasion food for them such as boiled chicken or giant beef bones on their special "Gotcha Days"
09-06-2012, 04:37 AM,
footballtim Offline

Threads: 10
I don't see a problem with getting your animal a Christmas gift as long as it is something that THEY can enjoy.

If you are just getting them decorative hats and things like that, then you are mostly thinking of yourself, not the animal.

I feel that the best Christmas gift for an animal is a special treat for them to eat that they do not get every day.
09-08-2012, 07:05 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I don't do birthdays for my dog, but I do Christmas. I buy her a new toy and wrap it. It goes under the tree. She doesn't understand Christmas, but she understands there are presents for her. She was so cute last year. She sat in front of them every day sniffing or begging. Amazingly, she did not try to open them, though she did pick on a couple of other presents. She had a great time opening hers.

Really, it is for us. But, they are family and I think it adds to the festiveness of the occasion. I don't buy my dogs toys during the year unless it's to replace something like her treat dispensing balls.
09-11-2012, 05:11 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
Yes. When I had a dog, I'd buy her a birthday or Christmas gift every year (even though I hate Christmas and gift-giving in general). Last year, I bought my fiancee's cats food and balls. For their birthday, I usually just buy them their favorite cat wet food, which is chicken and lobster.

They deserve it and they're part of the family, in my opinion. I want them to be happy and enjoy themselves and know they're loved. For me, it'd be mean if my fiancee and I exchanged gifts and they didn't open theirs because they didn't have any.

I love the guys.
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM,
SunshineInABag Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I usually get my dogs some treats for their birthdays, but Christmas my family goes all out for the pets. It's just so much fun seeing them rip into the stockings or boxes! They always seem to know which presents are theirs! The presents are just toys and treats, sometimes clothing for my Greyhound because he has thin fur and gets cold easily. We also donate to the Humane Society regularly and all of our pets are rescues, so I figure a little pampering isn't out of order :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marijuana to pets for Medical purposes? Daniela853 5 2,289 12-30-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: PaulReidG
  Do you celebrate your dog's birthday? Corzhens 8 4,023 07-08-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: joshposh
  Pets and wild animals Happyflowerlady 1 2,261 02-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Last Post: terrismalls
  Don’t Forget Our Pets during the Storm Snowflakes 2 2,766 12-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Miranda Boldari
  Pamper Your Pets on National Dog Day! Snowflakes 0 2,059 08-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
Photo Dining Out With Your Pets in California Snowflakes 0 1,442 08-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Last Post: Snowflakes
  Dog Invention - Connect with your pets from anywhere GDri 3 2,534 06-30-2014, 02:26 AM
Last Post: JudyCap
  Common houseplants that are dangerous to pets. Happyflowerlady 0 1,637 04-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  How does your dog get along with other pets in your home? A0130 5 3,149 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Last Post: tierapatt50
  Are these bones you buy in petshops healthy? Ricardo187 0 1,738 10-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Ricardo187
  Should the homeless have pets? andrew320 13 4,924 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Last Post: BugM
  What kind of birthday celebration do you give your dog? haopee 9 4,067 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Bloomsie