LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans?
04-17-2015, 06:01 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans?
I found this interesting article online today:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/people-care-pets-humans/

Basically, the article talks about why people care more about their pets than other humans. It mentions research that has been done that asked whether people would save an animal over another human. In a certain study, participants were asked who they would save in the path of an oncoming out of control bus - and forty percent of them said they'd save their own personal pet at the expense of a foreign tourist.

I thought it was interesting. What do you think? If your pet was at risk of being hit by a bus and you could choose to save them or a stranger, what would you do?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2015, 02:41 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans?
Some people love their pets to the extent that they think of the pet as a part of the family, and they care for them jusst like they would take care of their own children. When a person has this close of attachment to their pet, then they will even risk their own life to save their beloved pet.
People have died while trying to get back inside a burning house to try and save their little dog or cat. And this love is also returned by the pet, in many cases. There are many stories of dogs saving theor owners from drowning, and waking them up in time to escape from a house fire.
While not everyone feels that much of a bond with their pet; the people who do would undoubtedly rescue their pet before anything else, probably even another unknown human.
It is not necessarily true that they prefer animals over people in general; just that they love their own pet like it was part of the family, and so would rescue it first.
04-27-2015, 04:29 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
(04-26-2015, 02:41 AM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: It is not necessarily true that they prefer animals over people in general; just that they love their own pet like it was part of the family, and so would rescue it first.

That's a good point. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something had happened to put my pets lives in danger (such as a house fire like you mentioned) and I didn't try everything in my power to save them. They really are as much a part of the family as anyone else in our household. Hard to imagine anything other than doing that for them. I appreciate your perspective on the article - thank you!
05-20-2015, 01:07 PM,
thegrey Offline

Threads: 4
I think I would act on impulse, and my impulse would be to save any member of my family. As my pets are members of my family, I am pretty sure that I would instinctively save them first. That sounds kind of cold, I guess, but I don't think I'd stop to think about it. I would just act.
05-26-2015, 05:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2015, 05:59 AM by Jelly.)
Jelly Offline

Threads: 1
Of course not.. My pets are like my family members.. I care and love them as much as I do for my other family members.. For me equality must be prevailed!!
06-14-2015, 05:09 AM,
SquirrelWhisperer Offline
Registered

Threads: 2
My pets are also like family members to me, I love them as much as I do close human friends/family. Animals are a form of life, and I personally don't like to act like one life is worth less than another just because of a difference in species. I can't put a measure on love, and my love for my pets isn't less than it is for family, it's equal. Smile

The thing with pets is that they can be more vulnerable than most humans. An average adult would be better equipped in a panic situation than a cat would. Especially in a fire, most pets have smaller lungs than us, so would be unconscious pretty quickly when exposed to so much smoke. The majority of us know what to do in the event of fire because we have been informed about it and understand the basics of what happens when a fire breaks out. We are better prepared, and I imagine that most animals don't understand what is happening but just know that there's danger. So, in my household, I would definitely save my pets first, because they would have less of a fighting chance than the human members of my family.
06-18-2015, 02:22 AM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
I have two children so... there's no way I could say I care more about my pets than them. I love them in a different way, If there was an emergency or disaster, of course I'm going to consider my children and my family FIRST as well as any other human that is in danger. I would be heartbroken if something happened to them but they would not be my first priority in a situation where I had to choose. I hope that doesn't make me sound heartless, it's just how it is and when you're a mom, it's how it should be.
12-08-2015, 09:31 AM,
PatriciaSilva Offline

Threads: 0
I'm so sorry for my fellow guys, but yes , if i was facing a situation like the one described, i must be honest to myself, i would save my pet first rather than a stranger human being. I'm so sorry, but he would be at second place, which makes me feel somewhat awful...! You know, there is a saying here in Portugal from those who love pets above anything else: we say" the more i get to know human beings, the more i love my pets", can you understand me...?
12-14-2015, 03:32 AM,
naiara Offline
Registered

I gotta say, I am not really a ''people person'' and I am very picky when it comes to friends so, I am all about dogs, I love dogs more than people hahaha, puppies are always nice and cute and super funny, and they can cure depression so, I definitely like puppies more than people.
02-02-2016, 08:10 AM,
thash1979 Offline

I would have to say that maybe I do care for my dog rather than most humans. Not all humans, but most lol. I treat my dog like he is part of the family. I have to feed him and care for him like he is one of my children. I do not give that special attention to just anyone. Also, I am not going to just go around handing out food and care for just everyone. Unlike humans, my dog does not tell me I should not wear that, or talk back or drive with road rage. So, I guess with that being said, I do love my dog more than people!
03-05-2016, 03:56 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
It is really a catch-22 situation to decide whom to save between your pet and a stranger. There is a popular folk saying that states that whoever doesn't know you does not value you. Here you are seeing the stranger for the first time but you have been a bosom friend to your pet. I have come to appreciate that pets like dogs cannot desert you in your hour of need. They can lay their lives down for you and therefore the same is expected of you. This can only be reasoned from a higher spiritual perspective. When an animal dies, its essence ceases to exist. When a human dies, he continues to exist in a different dimension for worse or for good. I would rate the stranger and grieve later.
11-15-2019, 02:50 PM,
Matt Robinson Offline
Registered

Yes, I love my dogs more than my family members. Dogs are our loyal friends who love us unconditionally and whenever I am feeling stressed I used to love to play with my dog and it gives me immense happiness. I am always concerned so much about my dog's health.
11-26-2020, 08:28 PM,
sunnysingh Offline
Registered

I love my pet as much as I love my family members. Pets should also be taken care of because they provide emotional support and love to their owners.
11-27-2020, 08:14 AM,
EmmaWilliam Offline

Threads: 1
I love my pets more than I care for other people. They're part of my family and I am for sure that I'll choose them over to a stranger
10-14-2021, 08:01 AM,
Albana Offline
Registered

Pets are like my family members. I will definitely save  my pets first, pets should  be taken care of because they provide emotional support and love to us. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,017 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,175 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,438 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,175 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,178 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57