LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel guilty when you kill insects?
04-02-2013, 05:16 AM,
GavinMcresty Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Do you feel guilty when you kill insects?
I never kill insects actively. I avoid using any kind of fly-killer type chemicals because they indiscriminantly kill everything (even ones you are not aware of). In addition, they tend to be bad for human health too. We put mothballs in our pianos because otherwise the moths would destroy them. Moths would eat the felt which the dampers are made out of. The sprays kill the spiders, which eat the moths and other annoying ones (such as flies). Even though I find flies annoying, I never hit them. I just wave my hand around to chase them around and I try to "direct" them towards a window or door to get them outside the flat. Even if I do not like their presence, I do not feel it means that I should kill them. They are just doing what comes naturally to them (generally trying to find food). In my opinion, they do not deserve to be killed for that. Even if they are spreading disease, they are not doing so intentionally. They almost certainly have no idea that they can make someone else unwell by walking around on the food they want to eat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2013, 12:09 AM,
cliverederson Offline

Threads: 5
It actually does sometimes kind of cross my mind that I'm killing something. My mom is a big animal rights person, she only throws bugs outside, for example. I'm not quite so strict, if a spider is in my house, he's taking a ride down the toilet. But I don't just go around stomping on ants outdoors for no reason either. Bugs and spiders serve a purpose in the world, and I'm fine with that, as long as they do it outside. Except mosquitos, I'll kill those suckers (pun intended) anywhere.
05-25-2013, 04:34 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
I didn't feel guilty. My ex-roommate did.

It was over a decade ago. One time a house fly got in, and I tried to kill it. My roommate stopped me and he caught it with a cup before released it outside. I asked why and I said fly spread diseases. He replied "humans spread diseases too". I was speechless. Gen068
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2013, 03:31 AM,
redchik987 Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
If they're scary, not even a little! In fact, if they're scary-looking, I can't even bring myself to kill them sometimes and I'll have my roommate do the honors. lol. If they're ladybugs or butterflies or lightning bugs, I don't really want to kill them. Spiders and crickets and roaches can all die, in my opinion. I understand they're probably keeping away bigger "predators," but I just can't handle them in my house.
06-13-2013, 11:55 AM,
Crazzyy_ Offline

I do feel guilty actually... however it is quite an annoying habbit! No matter how big or small the insects I feel pretty damn bad. One of the examples that affect me would have to be when I skip in my backyard with rope and there ants crawlling all over, I must stop skipping and wait until all the traffic has gone! I must sound pretty dumb but eh it's been a habit since youth though!

-Paul
06-13-2014, 05:10 AM,
FreeFlowingJoy Offline

To me it totally depends upon if I can 'catch' them or not. I can take a spider and transfer it outside on the grass between two glasses. Usually they are plastic glasses. I also have used anything with a lid, just catch put a top on and then quickly open the door and release. This works for any spider or flying bug.

That said, for roaches, scorpions, etc, heck, I just squash them. If I'm outside, I do the repelling type thing with natural things, such as a high powered utility fan, mister in the summer, essential oils in diffuser, etc. I don't often squash when outside. After all, they are suppose to be there.
07-07-2014, 11:46 AM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
It usually doesn't bother me to squish or spray the little buggers. But a couple weeks ago there was what I thought was a wasp or bee laying on my kitchen floor. I stepped on him before my cat or dog decided to pick him up in their mouths. When I picked him up with a paper towel to thro in the garbage, I realized it was a HUGE Honey Bee! I did feel bad about that one, but he was in disguise, way too big for a Honey Bee.

After I killed him, I remembered that about 2 months ago there was a HUMONGUS Yellow Jacket in my Kitchen window.. I sprayed him and killed him~ Makes me wonder if there are mutant insects around. I live in North Idaho. Has anyone else noticed larger than usual bugs this year?
07-16-2014, 02:21 AM,
HairyOrchid Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I kill basically any insect that I come in contact with - spiders, ants, centipedes, millipedes, flies. You name it. I am honestly petrified of most of them, and I can't even really explain why - I mean, they obviously are not really capable of causing me any injury, but my natural instinct is to get rid of them in the fastest way possible.

I do feel quite a bit guilty each time I kill one Sad And think to myself - you really could have just put them outside. They just freak me out so much, yikes. However, I only really kill them if I come into contact with them in my home / never when I encounter one in the outdoors. So hopefully that redeems me somehow.

Once I kill them, I picture them as having feelings and lives, and it really just feels terrible. I am probably going to make an active effort to put them outside from now on.
07-16-2014, 03:39 AM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
Wink  RE: Do you feel guilty when you kill insects?
I think you need to put a sign up so you will feel better about killing bugs.
"All insects caught behind this point will be squished" There that ought to make you feel better about squishing them Smile
09-03-2014, 08:48 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
Sometimes, I do. For instance, when I see ants crawling on the table, I feel guilty when I kill them. However, there is nothing else that I can do because if I just let it be, more will follow it after some time. Another instance is when I have to kill cockroaches. I absolutely hate them. They are dirty, and they are smell awful. Also, when they fly, I just run out of the room. Still, I feel guilty when I swat them. I always think that it's not their fault if they were made like that - awful, scary, and dirty. I sometimes wish that they will wiped off from the face of the Earth, but my grandmother always reminds me that every living creature has a purpose. Killing one will create ripples that will disrupt the balance of nature.
10-01-2014, 11:43 PM,
Danyel72 Offline

Threads: 2
Oh, I feel so bad when I kill an insect. Bawling

I think it's just the way I was raised. I don't like to hurt anything if I can avoid it. Obviously, if they are a danger to me, my pets or my family there is no question that the bug is done! If we see something in our home then I try my hardest to pick it up and actually put it back outside. Probably sounds strange to some people but I just see the bug having a family and so on... why kill it?

I will never just randomly step on a bug for no reason. I see a lot of people doing that. I guess just because they can?

Oh well, it's just me ! Clap

Danyel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insects That Destroy Food & Artifacts 4sweed 1 3,682 02-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Florida's Stinging & Venomous Insects 4sweed 0 2,557 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Is it wrong to kill an insect? andrew320 6 3,781 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Last Post: AnnaU93