LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do your dogs sleep in your bed with you?
03-26-2014, 11:31 PM,
Padwolf Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Do your dogs sleep in your bed with you?
My dogs do not sleep in the bed with me, however I have woken up to my rottweiler on my bed which is always nice. However my rottweiler sleeps on the bed with my parents. They had to get a super king sized bed to fit her in! My other dog sleeps on a spare duvet on the floor at the end of the bed. He has never wanted to sleep on the bed with anyone, he has always been happy just having the duvet on the floor, or he will wander into the living room and jump up to sleep on the sofa.

However, my rottie is stubborn and when she jumps up on my bed with me she will refuse to move! She isn't a very big rottie but she is heavy and she likes to lay on her back with her legs and arms all splayed out!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2014, 01:48 PM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
My little MinnPinn/Chi mix always sleeps in bed with me. She can be "napping" all day long, when I shut things down and she knows it is bed time, she is right there~ most the time under the covers. I let her get in between the sheets, because it is much easier to pull the covers up if I want than if she is laying on them.
She usually sleeps on the inside of the bed, but sometimes when she thinks the cat is going to come to bed she tries posting on the outside to be on guard duty. She will run the cat off if given half a chance. ~ I am slowly getting her to be nice to the kitty. Wink
07-07-2014, 04:12 PM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
I have a small dog who sleeps on my bed. Sometimes she sleeps against my back and other times next to my legs. If I get up in the night she gets up with me to make sure I am not going anywhere interesting. When I had cats, she slept on one side of me and a cat slept on the other side so I was trapped in between them! When I had a large dog, he slept on the end of my bed.
07-10-2014, 03:59 AM,
steeleda Offline

My St Bernard puppy would like to sleep with me but my bed is set high and he can't climb up onto it (not that I would let him). I let him sleep on the floor of my room and that is fine. I only have a full bed and he would take up most of it anyway so I don't let him sleep on the bed. I do let my mini pin sleep with me when he wants too and if I am staying at my mom's. He climbs under the blankets and is a great snuggler. He will cuddle super close especially if he is cold. He is only little too so I don't mind him sleeping with me though I am at far best his second choice when it comes to a sleeping companion.
07-16-2014, 10:06 AM,
sheena sihvonen Offline

My dogs definitely sleep in the bed with me! Every night my husband and I along with Belle, a 10lb. schnauzer mut, Madee, a 12lb. schnauzer and Zoey, a 50lb boxer-mix take our short path to our king size bed. We have had to try a queen in the past and that makes for a disaster! I have found that I cannot sleep without my Madee-Hat as she sleeps on my pillow cuddles with my head.
To me, dogs have the pack mentality where they sleep in dog piles so every night we sleep in a dog pile and absolutely LOVE IT!
07-18-2014, 01:54 AM,
JudyCap Offline

(03-27-2013, 11:51 AM)Libragirl67 Wrote: We have a big black lab, and yes he sleeps in bed with us. Nashley has got to be in the 80 to 100 lbs. range. My family truly considers Nash one of the family. So it is really not a big deal to us when Nash gets on the furniture or beds. There is only one time when I get annoyed with him. After I am up for the day I always make my bed and put all my little decorative pillows on top. Nine times out of ten at some point Nashley will go in my bedroom. He will pull off the pillows and pull back the comforter and get in bed. When I go to my room and catch him. I do not have to say a word he looks at me and takes off runnng. Leaving my bed in total dissaray. This is almost like our daily game we play.
This reminds me of a story that happened several years back. I had a big Elk Hound he looked like he was part wolf, his name was Clancy. He didn't sleep in our bed with us, but every day when I left him in the house while I went to work (I worked split shift, and was in and out all day) he would get up on the couch, which had a fitted cover over it, he would mess it up so I would have to straighten it up again.
This one particular day when I was going out the door, I turned around and warned him to STAY OFF the damn couch too!
I went to work, a couple hours later I came home, went in the front door, the couch wasn't messed up as usual~ plus no Clancy in site. I walked down the hallway to our bedroom our bed was all messed up and Clancy was laying in the middle of the mess. Can't tell me that dogs don't understand when you talk to them. Exclamation
07-18-2014, 03:38 AM,
Wynnie11 Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
I have 2 little dogs and they both sleep in bed with my husband and I. One of them, Ted, is more attached to me. The other, Oliver, is more attached to my husband. Ted sleeps at the foot by my feet every night. Oliver sleeps in between our legs and sometimes right in between us. They have both always slept in our bed since the day we got them. I can see how it can bother other people that have really big dogs, or dogs that shed a lot, etc. But since our two little guys are pretty small, well behaved and hypoallergenic, we don't really mind. Smile
07-18-2014, 12:28 PM,
JudyCap Offline

My Daughter and Son in law have 9 little dogs, each has a story~ they are mostly rescue dogs ~ and All are spoiled rotten. They live about 25 miles from me in their own home with a huge fenced backyard with doggie doors going into the garage, then into the house. At times when they both have to be away overnight, I will go stay with the "kids". I take my little dog LilBit with me, then there are 10 dogs. All vieing for my attention. When it comes to bed time all but 2 of them will get up on the king size bed. It isn't too bad, except for the rare occasion when you end up with a dog fight in bed with you. I think my dog is the worst for starting that. She is too over protective, even tho she is a minpinn/chi cross she thinks she is a Rotwieller at times.

Even at home she thinks she NEEDS to protect me from Kitty Joe who will occasionally come in to bed and lay by my head. LilBit, when she is in the "protect Mom from that damn cat" mode will instead of getting on the inside of the bed like usuall, she will lay on the other side, in the spot where the cat will come to sleep. She will run him off every chance she gets. The little snot.
07-22-2014, 08:44 PM,
Kteabc Offline

Threads: 9
My American pit bull terrier that was abandoned does. She is the biggest cuddle monster. She has to be completely under the covers and right next to me. She snores very loudly all night long. On my days off she will stay in bed 12+ hours snoring and tooting.
My American bulldog who was abused and neglected terribly has a bed on both levels of the home. I've pulled him up on the bed and couch to cuddle but he seems to be very nervous. He has settled down and laid with us for about 30 minutes. He doesn't move and gets down fairly quickly. We always pet him and try to reassure him but he's set in his ways. He's always welcome though.
07-24-2014, 02:22 PM,
Francy Offline

Threads: 8
We used to let our dogs sleep with us, but we don't anymore. We bought them both really nice orthopedic beds and they love them. Every once in awhile I'll come home to find the blankets scuffled up, so I know they've been on the bed while I'm gone. Little stinkers! They really do like their own space now though, so we are pleased.
07-25-2014, 02:33 PM,
kerin65 Offline
Registered

I have always allowed all of my dogs to sleep on my bed. I have two dogs, one is a 125 lb. Saint Bernard who goes to sleep when I do, but he does go to his side on the bed and is very respectful of my space. The other is a Pug that sleeps with my son in his room. I would probably do much better with my sleeping if I didn't allow them on my bed, but I really enjoy having their beautiful souls right next to me as much as possible. As long as I wash my sheets every few days and brush my dogs everyday, then it isn't too bad.
07-26-2014, 02:44 AM,
JudyCap Offline

125 pounds ~that is alot of dog to share your bed with. Hope you have a king size! Atleast your dog has manners and shares instead of crowding. Mine is a crowder, and lays crossways of the bed more often than not.
07-26-2014, 04:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014, 04:35 PM by kerin65.)
kerin65 Offline
Registered

He is a big boy! I am glad that I established our sleeping order early on so that he knows who is in charge, at least when it comes to sleepingSmile My son's Pug is the one who crowds for sure! She backs up into the couch to make room for herself whether the space is there or not. Usually she ends up sitting on me.
07-28-2014, 12:05 PM,
astockd1 Offline

Threads: 2
I just got a Min Pin / Chihuahua mix a couple of days ago. We got her for two reasons: to be friends with our doberman, who was bored and alone, and to cuddle with me because I have anxiety and cuddling is awesome. The good news is that she's the biggest cuddler I've ever met, and she loves being held. She even cries if she isn't cuddling me... I'll take it! The bad news is I'm allergic to her... so having her in my bed is not turning out too well. We had the same problem with the doberman and started giving him fish oil everyday, which drastically decreased my allergies. We've given her two doses of fish oil and I haven't noticed my allergies act up any more than usual. So she continues to sleep in my bed and cuddle with me all night. Works for me!! Here she is cuddling me while I use the computer:

[Image: IMG_0959.jpg]
07-28-2014, 06:04 PM,
kerin65 Offline
Registered

Wink  RE: Do your dogs sleep in your bed with you?
That is too funny! Your dog is so adorable. As I sit here and reply to you, my Saint Bernard and his Pug sister are right by my side...lol! I totally understand about the allergies, I am actually allergic to dogs and cats, but I will never let that stop me from having them. I would rather be physically miserable than mentally any day of the week! I have a lot of anxiety too and I could not be calm for long without my babies. Does fish oil really seem to help with the allergies? Thank you for the tip, I didn't know that before this post.
07-29-2014, 02:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014, 02:10 AM by astockd1.)
astockd1 Offline

Threads: 2
(07-28-2014, 06:04 PM)kerin65 Wrote: That is too funny! Your dog is so adorable. As I sit here and reply to you, my Saint Bernard and his Pug sister are right by my side...lol! I totally understand about the allergies, I am actually allergic to dogs and cats, but I will never let that stop me from having them. I would rather be physically miserable than mentally any day of the week! I have a lot of anxiety too and I could not be calm for long without my babies. Does fish oil really seem to help with the allergies? Thank you for the tip, I didn't know that before this post.

She's pretty precious. They told us she was Min Pin mixed with Poodle, but she looks unmistakably like she's part chihuahua, with no signs of poodle. She helps with anxiety a lot, as do my other animals (sugar gliders). She was actually an off the record therapy dog for this guy at her old family who was severely autistic. I guess you can say she's a professional cuddler. Fish oil helped SO MUCH with the doberman. At one point I was forced to live with my boyfriend and his big dog in one small bedroom, for two weeks... and I couldn't take the allergies, I went to go sleep on the couch. We started giving him fish oil every day, and I have no idea why but it helped so much. I can be around him and not feel like I'm dying. We just started with her and I hope it helps just as much. Might have to wash my sheets a lot more often, bathe her in oatmeal, etc to supplement it. But the fish oil was great. I heard that taking it yourself can also help with allergies! If you have a little dog you can squirt some over their food, or a bigger dog can just take the whole capsule. He thinks it's a treat!
02-24-2015, 08:38 PM,
chin27 Offline
Registered

Yes my puppy sleeps in the bed with me and my hubby. My puppy gives us happiness. My puppy knows exactly when it comes to sleeping time, he's always the one who is jumping on the bed first, and then roll and bark to call us to accompany him in the bed.
04-03-2015, 04:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015, 04:45 AM by BobCat.)
BobCat Offline

Threads: 5
We do not have a dog, right now. But we are going to spend the summer with my parents. They have a new dog, Lucy. She is a great companion for my mother with cancer, who spends a great deal of time in bed. Lucy loves to relax and sleep in bed with her! The only problem is Lucy is a great big Black Lab and a bit of a beg hog! Lucy also likes to be covered up with blankets, too. She was so happy when my mom got an electric-blanket this year for Christmas. I can't wait to meet Lucy.
04-09-2015, 01:52 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
My little Chipper has always slept in bed with us from the time that he was a puppy. He thinks that he owns the bed and he absolutely hates to be awakened when he is sleeping, and has always grumbled and growled when we woke him up in the morning. Once he wakes himself up, then he is fine, and ready for hugs and pets and to go outside for the morning run.
Now that he is older, I have started putting him in a baby playpen at the foot of our bed, for his safety. We have a bed that sits pretty high off of the floor, and since Chipper is eleven years old; I worry that if he falls off during the night, he might break a rib, or even his hip or leg. So (regretfully), we decided that for his own protection, we should start letting him sleep in the playpen instead.
He seems to have adapted to sleeping there and he knows that he is still close to us, and we know that he is not going to fall and hurt himself; so it seems to be working out for the best.
04-14-2015, 03:07 AM,
BobCat Offline

Threads: 5
(04-09-2015, 01:52 AM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: My little Chipper has always slept in bed with us from the time that he was a puppy. He thinks that he owns the bed and he absolutely hates to be awakened when he is sleeping, and has always grumbled and growled when we woke him up in the morning. Once he wakes himself up, then he is fine, and ready for hugs and pets and to go outside for the morning run.
Now that he is older, I have started putting him in a baby playpen at the foot of our bed, for his safety. We have a bed that sits pretty high off of the floor, and since Chipper is eleven years old; I worry that if he falls off during the night, he might break a rib, or even his hip or leg. So (regretfully), we decided that for his own protection, we should start letting him sleep in the playpen instead.
He seems to have adapted to sleeping there and he knows that he is still close to us, and we know that he is not going to fall and hurt himself; so it seems to be working out for the best.

Oh, I love the idea of a playpen. I would have never thought about this option! I would imagine your chipper not only appreciates the fact that he can still be close to you both at night, but also likes to be able to see out the side with the mesh lining.

I am curious to know, if he tried to chew at the sides of the playpen during the first few days of adjustment? Do you have a pillow and blanket in the bed for your Chipper, too?
04-14-2015, 11:42 AM,
Skyelark Offline
Registered

I allow them to sleep in the bed from time to time. Unfortunately, I'm a light sleeper so any time they move or start snoring it wakes me up, so I tend not to get the best nights sleep when I allow them in the bed.

For this reason most of the time they do not sleep in the bed with me, but they have their own bed in the bedroom that they typically keep to.
04-15-2015, 03:47 AM,
chriswells711 Offline
Registered

I have just 3 "littles" - a chihuahua, a yorkie/chi mix, and pug, and yep, they all sleep with me. I also have my own rescue group and once in a while, if a rescue dog is with me for a while, they will end up sleeping in bed with us, too, but that doesn't happen often. When my Great Pyrenees was younger and could get on the bed, she'd sleep with me, too. As she got older and couldn't get on the bed, she would sleep on her own bed right beside me on the floor. I love the comfort they bring me. Wouldn't have it any other way!
04-15-2015, 05:32 PM,
Shihtzufan Offline

Threads: 11
I've also had this conversation with friends, about whether pets should be in your bed with you!
My dog and my cat sleep on top of the bed with us. They're more like little foot warmers for us - and that's just where they like to lay, they seem most comfortable there. Near enough to us that they know we aren't disappearing on them, but they still have their own bit of space. I know plenty of people though that sleep with their pets under the blankets with them too. I don't see it as that unusual since I view my pets as a part of the family and not just animals.
04-23-2015, 11:46 AM,
barkingsquirrel Offline

My dog is no longer alive, but when she was, she was the bed ruler! We had a water bed at the time, and she spent a lot of time snoozing. When my husband got up in the morning to go to work, she'd wait until he walked out the door, then she'd hurry to the bedroom and hop in bed. I always let all my pets in bed with me, but this dog was the most memorable one.
05-06-2015, 11:30 PM,
jeskalillis Offline

My husband and I are currently sharing a bed with a Min Pin and a Pit bull. They both love to snuggle and will lay as close as possible. The Min Pin will find the coziest and warmest spot and curl up, normally under the covers. The pit bull is normally at the foot of the bed, but will sometimes lay in between us. The pit bull can be hard to move once she has fallen asleep. We will wake her up to move and she will scoot maybe an inch. So we have to physically move her if she is in the way. The min pin obviously will move if we want him to, I don't think we would appreciate being squished.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you give your dogs human food? remnant 8 3,464 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Last Post: an_an_an77
  Where does your dog sleep? cecejailer 10 4,208 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Feeding Bones to Dogs chevonmickle21 13 6,017 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: aspencommonsvets
  How do you give pills to your dogs? remnant 15 5,024 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee