LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Spoil Your Cat
05-26-2014, 09:46 AM,
KittyReeves Offline

Threads: 20
Don't Spoil Your Cat
The thing that I've noticed is, if you spoil your cat, the cat ends up acting entitled and usually has a very bad attitude.

My step-mothers cat for example. She spoiled the bejeezus out of this cat as he was growing up. She would feed him the minute he started meowing for food, feeds him treats when ever he demands them and buys lunch meat that just for him (she's vegetarian), will actually stop what she's doing if he meows for food and give him some and etc. He's a total priss in my opinion. I refuse to feed my cats if they meow at me. They get fed twice a day, the same time every day. This cat...I once ignored him when he was meowing at me to give him food (he had already been fed 20 minutes before this!) while I was making myself a sandwich, and what does the cat do? Swipes at my ankles with claws out and hisses angrily. He gave me a pretty good scratch too! :dead: He literally got angry and lashed out because I dared to ignore him!

We've recently gotten his "mother" (my step-mother) to stop spoiling him as much. Like, only feeding him at certain times, ignoring him when he demands to be fed, don't rush into the kitchen when he wants food, and etc. He's actually mellowed out a little because of it! He's starting to learn, oh, my mother is not my human servant and the world does not cater to my royal fluffy butt.

(Also, please don't get me wrong. I treat my babies with a lot of love and would be devastated if anything happened to them. I just don't spoil the heck out of them. Same as you wouldn't spoil a kid.)

Did you spoil your cats? Did they have bad attitudes? Or are you like me, and don't spoil them at all? :coffee:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2014, 07:04 PM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Don't Spoil Your Cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pby7dLQA08o

This is my cat.

I always spoil my cats, or try to. Oscar loves to claw/chew on my ankles but if he gets too out of hand (paws) I put him in..JAIL.
06-01-2014, 03:32 AM,
Meowmie Offline

Threads: 4
I sat down to see what was knew on here and this thread caught my eye. My 2 Persians who rarely leave my side began to read with me.

They had a LOT to say! They started out by trying to type nasty names to call you but I stopped them and explained that wasn't allowed on here. They settled down and agreed to a different method of response.

My cats are very spoiled. I love spoiling them, and they spoil me right back. They are very gentle and loving cats, and yes, they ask for food a little too often (we have open bowl but they prefer freshly poured food to "old" food that has been sitting more than 5 min.). If I have given then new food recently, I just tell them no. In response they say "meow" which I interpret to mean "ok...., I'll ask again later".

My red head is the most spoiled because she decided she has 4 humans, and her favorite thing is to have 8 hands petting her at once. She is extremely friendly, and welcomes new humans after just a sniff.

Even if I'm combing her and accidentally pull to hard, I just get a little squeak out of her, and if I do it again shortly afterward or if she's just not in the mood to be groomed, she will camp down on my hand. JUST barely enough to let me know she is serious. She has never broken anyone's skin.

I have promised my cats to ignore you advice, and in response they have rubbed up against me and rolled over to have their bellies rubbed.

Cats are individuals, as are humans. There is occasionally a cat with a bad attitude but they are the exception, and, from what I have seen, often the results of being declawed.

I explained to Allie and Bitty that you have a right to your opinion, and they turned around and began grooming themselves. I think that means they have the right to disagree. Angel (yes, they instructed me to put that smily there)

Allie and Bitty's humble servant,
Meowmie bowdown

P.S. Allie wanted me to add that if a cat is acting up, the best way to settle them down is to wear them out with a cat dancer or other interactive toy.
06-16-2014, 02:18 AM,
Amesii Offline

Threads: 1
I spoil my cats from time to time. It's so hard not to, they are just so cute. They meow at me and it's so sweet and soft. Their little eyes on me, begging for food. Sometimes I just have to give in. I know they are trying to get my attention, and they are damn good at it lol. My cats get fed a fixed amount a day so it's usually three times a day. They know when food time is over but sometimes they meow at me to see if I'll give in. Sometimes I ignore them and they stop. Sometimes I'll just give them a little bit and they are satisfied. I ignore any other behaviors that I absolutely do not accept. For example, my gray cat sometimes likes to stare at me while I eat my dinner and will sometimes try and take a piece for himself. I always ignore him and move him away when he tries these behaviors and they have decreased in frequency. I wouldn't say my cats are spoiled but I do sometimes spoil them with extra food or a treat here and there.
06-29-2014, 09:25 AM,
JudyCap Offline

Threads: 3
If you spoil your cat you will pay for it in the long run.

I adopted my "Kitty Joe" from the shelter, he was 7 years old. I have a small dog, and was not sure how the cat would react to his new home, and dog.

I have to feed him up on a lower counter that is reserved for cat food, because if the dog could get it she would. The new cat decided he likes to drink out of the kitchen faucet~ So I let him. Now he thinks the counter is fair game. It is all my fault that he is such a pest.
07-29-2014, 11:31 AM,
forextraspecialstuff Offline

Threads: 0
I love spoiling my cats, or any pet I have for that matter, and don't think my cats act entitled. We spoil them with toys and lots of attention, but don't give into their every whim. They have a schedule for feeding and treats and we don't really break that, especially the feeding part because we have found they do best with a schedule. We give our cats LOTS of toys and attention because they like it. I don't think they're spoiled as much as they really feel like they're a part of the family.
09-05-2014, 09:01 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
I think all my cats are spoiled. When they don't want a certain kind of food, I immediately go out to buy a new one. When they want to be petted, I would brush their fur/hair. It's not only me though. My mom is a serial spoiler. When one of the dogs gets mad at the cats, my mom would immediately shush the dog. I also buy a lot of toys and treats for them. I don't know, but I guess spoiling my cats is already a part of me. I don't see anything wrong with it though because my three cats receive the same amount of attention and spoiling.
09-30-2014, 03:02 PM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
Now that I no longer work 24-hour ambulance shifts, and work out of my home, I spoil my cats rotten. I probably spend more money on their food than I do on my own, and they pretty much command my attention even when I don't really have it to spend.

My cats have developed what I generally refer to as traditions, although it might more accurately be described as manipulations. Cutie, one of my 24 year-olds, who rarely plays with toys, nevertheless uses them as props.

Another cat that I lost less than a year ago, Bird, would hold a toy in her mouth and yell, wanting one of the other cats to come play with her. This was something that worked for her when she was a feral cat, as other cats around the neighborhood would come to play.

When I took her into the house, my cats would ignore her calls, so I'd feel bad for her, and come to play with her myself.

After several years of this, Cutie picked up on it. Although she is not at all interested in playing with the toy, when she wants my attention, she brings me a toy and calls. The rule is that I have to drop whatever I'm doing and give her some attention. This usually involves her going into her box, which I will then pick up, either carrying or flying her around the room, or dragging her across the floor.

At night she carries the toys up to our bedroom while I'm sleeping and during the day, she brings them back down. A few weeks ago, I had to pick up all but about ten of them, and put them away, because she was showing up with another toy every five minutes.

Now, of course, my wife's slippers, socks, or stuff she pulls out of the trash sometimes substitute for toys.

Her sister, Lydia, will meow and run up to the top level of the cat tree -- which, by itself, ain't bad for a 24 year-old. When she does that, I have to go over and play with her, as she slaps at my hands from her position up high.

Whenever I go upstairs, the young one, Ella, will follow me up, and I have to play with her, Da Bird begin her favorite. I had to buy another coffee pot for downstairs because she was hitting me up every time I went up for a cup of coffee.

Spoil them? Nah, not at all. I just meet their demands, is all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2014, 03:28 AM,
Danyel72 Offline

Threads: 2
I think just like people, cats are so different and not one is alike. Smile We have 2 cats and have had many cats over the years and we have never had the problem with them being mean because they are spoiled. I think cats in general are and feel entitled though. Wink That's a given.

My cats are extremely spoiled... oh so spoiled!!! They are both loving and cuddly. They sleep with us and seen quite happy most of the time. I guess we are blessed.

Like I mentioned though.. all cats are different so spoiling one may be fine but if another one is spoiled I'm sure there is a possibility it could end up in a disaster!!!

Danyel Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,079 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,337 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,673 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,603 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,929 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,892 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,403 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,293 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,339 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,402 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,819 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,522 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,540 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,577 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant