LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing your own Catnip?
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
Growing your own Catnip?
Does anyone have experience in growing the catnip plant at home? I wanted to get some plants into my house to brighten up the place, but I have read online that cats tend to chew leaves and plants and it can be very very harmful to them, so I figured why not get a plant they CAN eat!

I am worried, however, as my boy cat, Bandit, is addicted to Cat Nip. I wonder if he would just devour the plant before it even had a chance to grow?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 02:18 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Growing your own Catnip?
So you love to see your cat get high? Big Grin Catnip is like drugs for cat.

If you are afraid of the cat destroy the plant before it can grow, why not get a big plant in the first place?

You can also have the plant locked up in a room where the cat can't access. Wait until the plant is all big and grown then move it to a different room.

Another way to do it is to plant a lot of them outside your house. Then you can relocate them into the house one by one, or a few at a time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-29-2013, 02:37 AM,
scotty Offline

Yes, My Bandit loves to get high! He has a serious drug problem I think given the way he gets over cat nip! Haha!

I thought about planting outside, but then I was worried that I might attract stay cats to my house and put my cats at risk? My cats are indoor cats but sometimes I let them outside on a leash, and I would hate for other cats to come and get all up in their play time!
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM,
Msmonkeyfeet Offline

Threads: 2
I'm not sure about catnip but my mother grows mint outside and brings some of the leaves in for the cats and they go absolutely insane over them, even more so than they do for catnip. It's fairly easy to grow so maybe you should give that a try as well, not to mention you could also use it in your own cooking!
02-01-2013, 01:00 AM,
scotty Offline

Nice! Maybe mint is the way to go! I think Cat Nip is in the mint family anyway, if I remember right, so maybe having mint would stop the issue of the cats eating it / it attracting out door cats, plus like you said, I can use it in cooking!
02-09-2013, 02:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013, 02:11 AM by jenb128.)
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
We did grow catnip outside at one point, and it did attract all the neighborhood cats! We'd often find them sprawled out on top of the patch. It was actually rather amusing. We planted enough though, so even though the cats liked to "mow" it, we still had plenty to give to our own kitty.

I've never tried giving mint to a cat though. I'll have to give it a shot the next time we have a cat.
02-15-2013, 01:57 AM,
scotty Offline

That was my fear Jenb! I really don't want random cats making my yard their own little personal play ground, we already have enough wild life as it is! That sounds exactly like the reaction I would expect from my guy, he goes crazy for it! I am going to give it a go I think! When I was in Walmart I was able to pick up some Cat Grass, which I am growing indoors, apparently it is safe for cats to chew on, and they seem to like it. So far I have just planted the seeds and I am patiently waiting for some sprouts to appear!
03-02-2013, 10:27 PM,
suzjbibby Offline

Threads: 4
Catnip is a part of the mint family and in the right circumstances it can actually become a problem. I grow mine in a large container (the drum of an old washing machine actually) outside so that the roots are contained, it does not grow terifically easy from seed but propagating from cuttings is fairly easy. Yes I do get invaded at times but it's fun to see the little addicts lolling about the lawn. A tea from the catnip can be good for humans too apparently it's good for colds and menstrual cramps but I have no direct knowledge of that
03-07-2013, 06:33 AM,
scotty Offline

Did not know all those uses! WOW! Yes, I would grow mine in a container too. I want to try and contain all my vegetables as best I can to make it easier to weed and feed, so its good to know it's possible!
07-31-2013, 04:10 AM,
bstahr Offline

Threads: 0
I'm not sure if there is any truth to this, but I read that growing catnip can actually keep mosquitoes away! I was interested in that because our backyard gets rather swampy when it rains, and bugs can become a big problem. Our cat loves catnip, but she also loves any plant we grow in the house! I've come home to chewed leaves so many times. It can certainly be frustrating! I'd suggest growing the catnip outside or placing it in a small pot inside a room the cat doesn't go in as often. I may grow some on my bedroom windowsill and shut the door when I leave so my cat doesn't get to it.
08-27-2013, 03:24 AM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
I don't think it's harmful to them, but you could certainly try growing it in a place that's out of reach to them until you want to give them some. What about a hanging basket outside of your house?

Only one of my two cats responds to it, the other one can care less. I guess it only works on certain cats. The one that does like it acts like she's on an incredible acid trip when she does get some. I bought a tin of it once, and accidentally spilled the whole thing when I went to give her some. She was rolling around in it tripping her hoo hah off on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Are Your Thoughts on Catnip? Bloomsie 4 3,234 05-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Last Post: kfander
  Cats Become Aggressive with Catnip mom21awesomeboy 5 10,549 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Last Post: belgianwriter