LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Ticks!
09-15-2014, 10:12 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
Help! Ticks!
I have a poodle, and he is regularly groomed. However, since the last time he was groomed, he started having ticks. They are all over his body especially his head. We tried removing them one by one, but it just ended up to be a bloody mess. Can anyone tell me what should I do with the ticks? What tool should I use to remove the ticks? Is there a special soap or shampoo for this? Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2014, 01:15 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: Help! Ticks!
Do you know where he is getting the ticks at ? That is a huge amount of ticks, unless he is out running in the woods or brush all the time. My dongs rarely get a tick, and if they do, it is usually one now and then.
Are you sure it is not fleas ? They will get all over the dog like you are describing.
There are some flea and tick sprays that you can get in the store or pet shop, but they do take a while to work, and by then the tick has usually eaten until it is about to explode and look like a little round balloon on your dog, and often they will drop off before they die.
One thing that is easy to do, and works good with fleas, and might work with ticks, too, is to make a bath in a small plastic tub (assuming it is a small poodle), and add about 1/4 cup of borax , and then put the dog in the tub and pour the water over his body with a cup. Be sure not to get it on his head or in his eyes.
For fleas, I usually get my fingers wet, and carefully put it on the dogs nose, being careful of the eyes.
09-22-2014, 10:27 PM,
helaofthenorns Offline

Threads: 13
Oh I want to thank you for this tip! What I did was I groomed our poodle first. I cut some of his hair to expose the little buggers clinging to him. Then, I did the bath as you instructed. It was easier to remove and kill the fleas/ticks after this. It was very disgusting though because they were as big as raisins. Afterwards, I applied flea powder on him then sprayed his bed with the flea spray. I hope they go away soon!
09-23-2014, 01:43 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Well, Hela, if they were as large as raisins, they were definitely ticks ! Even a full flea does not get nearly that large.
Ticks are usually in brushy areas (at least over here in the States), so if you can keep your dog away from anyplace that is brushy or has trees, then he should not get so many ticks.
Fleas are usually in the grass, but ticks gt into trees and bushes and drop on oneto you as you walk through the brush.
When I lived out in the country; every night, I had to check my whole body, plus the dogs; to make sure that we did not have any ticks on us.
Maybe what you had was a combination of fleas and ticks ? The fleas will come inside, and you have to vacuum every day to get rid of them, or spray pesticide (which is not healthy), and then keep the animal bathed. Ticks are not usually found in the house, unless they come in attached to a person or animal.
It sounds like you have a good handle on the problem now, so that is good ! Glad I could help...
01-14-2015, 10:05 PM,
TamannaKhare Offline

Threads: 0
Completely agree with Happyflowerlady. One should take precautions while dealing with this problem because ticks are considered as important groups of arthropod disease vectors in dogs. My suggestion is to wear gloves while removing ticks to avoid contact with your skin or prefer ticks removal spray or powder. Some online stores offer a wide range of such kind of products.
http://www.petsworld.in/venky-s-freedom-...fleas.html
http://www.petco.com/product/121019/Baye...-Cats.aspx
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Arctick+for+P...11228.html
01-15-2015, 05:20 PM,
peidi Offline

Threads: 2
I heard a method before: prepare 250 grams fresh citrus peel, use a knife cut it to pieces, and then with gauze wrapped up to squeeze out the sour bitter juice. Make juice diluted with 500 grams of water and stir, spraying on cats and dogs after it cooling down, the ticks will all die!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ticks - mortal enemy of dogs Corzhens 1 2,773 08-27-2016, 02:52 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Getting rid of ticks myself maxen57 2 1,979 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pine Sol repels fleas, ticks, and other bugs Happyflowerlady 4 50,368 11-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Last Post: lexinonomous
Star Protect Your Dog From Ticks 4sweed 4 4,009 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Last Post: trishgl
  Ticks Removal Tips haopee 5 3,604 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Last Post: haopee