LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big of a hutch does the average rabbit need?
09-02-2013, 03:54 PM,
A0130 Offline

Threads: 10
How big of a hutch does the average rabbit need?
I am considering getting a pet bunny. I have one from a breeder all lined up should I go through with it. I am wondering what the best kind of hutch for her is? How big should it be? What should line it? Should she have access to get out of the hutch?

Thanks for answering. I really want to provide the best life I can for the little girl. She's just a baby now but she's black and white and will grow to be beautiful, I'm sure. I want her to be very happy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 12:35 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
RE: How big of a hutch does the average rabbit need?
The size of hutch you will need is going to depend a lot on the breed of rabbit that you are getting. If it is a little Dutch Bunny, she will only be a little larger than a guinea pig when she is full grown, however if it is a French Lop, she may grow to 15 lbs or more. This is going to make a difference on where you can keep her, as well.
If she is small, and you want to, she can be an inside rabbit. However, if she is a large lop, or other large breed, then an outside cage is going to work a lot better for her, so she can have more room to move around, and can see outside.
If you can also get one of those round portable dog pens with the little gate, then you can let her out in the yard to hop around and eat grass in the nice weather.
12-07-2013, 02:02 AM,
dickybird Offline

Threads: 2
I agree with the above post, it depends what kind of rabbit your are getting. My rabbit was averaged sized and we had two hutches, a smaller one inside (in the garage) for winter time (I had heard horror stories of rabbits freezing outside in the colder months) and a larger one outside for the summer time. Our back garden is completely sealed so my rabbit had free reign of the whole garden, and in summer he never used his cage, he would sleep outside. If you are unable to let them out into your garden I would definitly buy a play pen so it can stretch its legs. My friend has an house rabbit, she has a huge cage for it in her spare bedroom, and when she is home she lets it out to play in the living room (she has wooden floors, so easy to clean if there are any accidents).
01-23-2014, 03:53 AM,
DomDom Offline

Threads: 3
Whichever hutch you get you should be careful about where it will be. We had a bunny a few years ago and unfortunately left it in the backyard because we wanted him to have alot of room for playing. During the night some cats attacked him and hurt him pretty bad, he was very bloody and wounded. He was very frightened and fulls of wounds with pus Sad

It took us a few weeks to get him back to health. So whatever you do dont let him wander outside for too long by himself!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Train a rabbit to use a litter box? Ram 10 8,024 11-13-2015, 02:51 AM
Last Post: CRM31
  Have you every heard of a lionhead rabbit? Francy 6 4,446 12-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  My Rabbit - the escape artist. Julie 2 3,500 08-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Writer E
  My rabbit the fussy eater. Julie 1 4,719 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Yatte
  Size of rabbit's feet Julie 0 4,317 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Julie
  Rabbit Health Guide Onyx 4 3,169 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Last Post: purplecapricorn