Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspiration on two wheels.
08-22-2012, 05:13 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
Inspiration on two wheels.
[Image: pjREH.jpg?1]

At the Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation in Dallas, there are two dogs named Chili and Arlo. These two dogs are disabled and move around with two specially-fitted wheels. However they are not patients at the institute. Instead they are part of a program to help the disabled people to get well faster.

As one disabled man put it, "If those dogs can do it, so can I."

More information here:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44407043/n...DPb4KI13ed

Have you seen dogs living fulfilling lives in spite of their disabilities? Please share your thoughts and experiences on this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2012, 07:03 AM,
pugskjj Offline

RE: Inspiration on two wheels.
My iguana doesn't have wheels but he gets by with only 3 feet, well really 2 and half due to metabolic bone disease. I fell in love with him instantly when I went to someone's house to get a bearded dragon, and saw him run through the house.

I am handicap, bad leg, and he shows me that you don't need all your parts to enjoy life. His front left foot has been amputated and his front right is crippled...yet he still manages to get out of his room and join me in the living room! Scar shows me a lot and I wouldn't trade him for the world!
08-22-2012, 11:56 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
This really is a neat idea! I had a dog who had her back leg amputated due to cancer. She was 10 at the time. She lived 3 1/2 years after the surgery. The last two months of her life she needed a wheel chair to get around outside and get exercise. I can say from experience it was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen. It took about a week for her to adapt to having wheels. Once she got the hang of it she loved to run and chase cats in our front yard.

I think it would really be beneficial for disabled people to be paired up with disabled animals. One of the things I learned after my dog had her leg amputated is that dogs don't wallow in self pity. They get up and they figure out how to survive. She definitely motivated me to get up every morning even when my arthritis was giving me a bad time.
08-22-2012, 05:31 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
(08-22-2012, 07:03 AM)pugskjj Wrote: My iguana doesn't have wheels but he gets by with only 3 feet, well really 2 and half due to metabolic bone disease. I fell in love with him instantly when I went to someone's house to get a bearded dragon, and saw him run through the house.

I am handicap, bad leg, and he shows me that you don't need all your parts to enjoy life. His front left foot has been amputated and his front right is crippled...yet he still manages to get out of his room and join me in the living room! Scar shows me a lot and I wouldn't trade him for the world!

I didn't know this pugs. I think you and Scar feed off each other's positive energy which is good. Having to see one another everyday can be that inspiration anybody feeling down due to physical conditions need to see how one can enjoy life without being complete.

I hope Scar lives a long and happy life with you.

As for Arlo and Chili, I am sure they have their work cut out for them. Imagine having to deal with people who will give them hugs and pets everyday. Looking cute can take a lot of energy, you know. Wink
08-23-2012, 02:27 AM,
Victor Leigh Offline

I think there is a lot we can learn from animals about living with handicaps. Here's another little fella that got on very well with just two legs:
[Image: fsGiP.jpg?1]

He is London, a Pit Bull. He fell three floors and his front legs were shattered and they had to be amputated. While waiting for a wheelchair to be made for him, he has already learned to get on very well with just two legs, as you can see from the picture above.

More information here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...HUMAN.html
08-23-2012, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012, 01:07 PM by TreeClimber.)
TreeClimber Offline

Pugs, our disabled pets can teach us a lot. One of those lessons is how to enjoy life even with our physical problems.

This was my Lab, Sierra. She was 10 1/2 when her leg was amputated due to cancer. She lived 3 1/2 year after her amputation with only having problems the last 2-3 months.

[Image: sierra.jpg]
She developed arthritis in her back hip after the surgery. Still, she insisted on going for her daily walk and going to family parties. She loved people and wanted to be around them all the time.

Her last two months I was able to get her a wheel chair. It was donated to her by the Handicapped Pets Foundation. This was a week before she died. I was happy to bring her some joy those last couple of weeks and to put a smile back on her face.
[Image: DSCF23041.JPG]
When you see a face like that, you can't help but make yourself get about your day. I have my disabilities, but hers was worse than mine. At least I had both my legs.
08-24-2012, 07:06 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
I have seen turtles on two wheels on TV. It is my first time seen (pictures obviously lol) two-legged dogs with wheels in place of their missing legs. The wheels look fine on the dogs, although I would prefer artificial legs for them instead.

@ TreeClimber
I do not think it is a good idea to pair up disabled dogs with disabled people. The disabled dogs already need help, and it is not going to be easy for them to get help if their owners also need help themselves.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-24-2012, 01:40 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Ram, I think we'll have to disagree on this. It would depend on the level of disability. In my case, I am not wheel chair bound. I have some mobility issues, but I am functional. I was able to give Sierra the level of support and help she needed when she needed it. She was fully able to walk with 3 legs and do everything she needed to until the last 2-3 months of her life. If I had been wheel chair bound or bedridden, that would be a different story. She was my dog for 13+ years. I would not abandon her or give her away just because she became 3 legged and I was having health issues. We learned how to make it work.
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM,
supergirl Offline

Threads: 0
This is inspirational! Thanks for sharing. I have seen plenty of three legged dogs walking around who are as happy as larry. It's nice and of course they get some extra loving. They can live happy lives as well.

This poor dog must have trouble going up pavements or in and out of the house but I guess they have installed wheel chair access.
08-25-2012, 05:18 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

supergirl, you would be surprised at how quickly dogs adapt to their wheel chairs. They quickly learn the maneuvering.

My dog took about a week to get the hang of hers. At first she was a little nervous about the wheels that kept following her. She learned quickly and soon she was standing just the right way to get strapped in.

I did have to help her at times. She'd get stuck and would need help turning. But, I have seen dogs who get around the house and backyard easily with their wheel chair. I think it would be a little more tricky with a larger dog than a small dog.
08-26-2012, 12:28 AM,
pugskjj Offline

(08-22-2012, 05:31 PM)haopee Wrote: I didn't know this pugs. I think you and Scar feed off each other's positive energy which is good. Having to see one another everyday can be that inspiration anybody feeling down due to physical conditions need to see how one can enjoy life without being complete. I hope Scar lives a long and happy life with you.
Thank you so much for your kind words Smile I do believe it is a case of us feeding off each other. He doesn't really like my girlfriend (tail whips her LOL) but he is very calm and cuddly with me

(08-24-2012, 07:06 AM)Ram Wrote: @ TreeClimber
I do not think it is a good idea to pair up disabled dogs with disabled people. The disabled dogs already need help, and it is not going to be easy for them to get help if their owners also need help themselves.
I disagree, there are varying degrees of disabilities and I would have no issues taking care of a dog with a disability even though I am disabled. I have nerve damage and more. I take care of Scar and he takes care of me, I believe animals with disabilities actually inspire people to adapt to their own disability
08-26-2012, 06:49 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Here's a little fella that's born with just two legs.
[Image: BZEzB.jpg]

That didn't stop Faith, the little fella, from learning to walk on two legs.

[Image: EiaEQ.jpg?1]

And even going for walks on two legs.

[Image: ZTV8L.jpg?1]

More information here:
http://faiththedog.info/
08-27-2012, 10:55 AM,
TreeClimber Offline

Victor, Faith is famous here in the US! She has been on TV many times. She is such an inspiration. I remember reading how her owner used the snow to teach her how to walk upright. The coldness of the snow would make her bounce upright until it became natural.

So many times, I think people feel a disabled pet must be put out of it's misery. As I found with my dog, they can lead happy lives without all their limbs. It really bothers us humans more than it bothers the dog. My dog was still a deft food thief after her amputation.
09-01-2012, 05:17 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Oh really? Glad to know that. I wonder if dogs can be taught to just walk permanently on their hind legs. That would be something to see.

As for putting down disabled pets, I personally think that it's a very cruel thing to do. A dog may be an animal but it has a life. To cut it's life short just because the owner didn't want to bother looking after it is very unacceptable.
02-07-2013, 08:40 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
Although this is very hard for pet owners as well as non pet owners to see, I can still say it is very inspirational.
I think the pets feel a level of determination to the point where they push themselves due to having no other choice.
It's really wonder to see a puppy who lost a leg or two doing the same things any other normal puppy would.
I also don't believe that a pets life should ever be cut short because they are part of our lives and our families.