LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instant Messaging
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM,
Mantis Offline

Threads: 23
Instant Messaging
The terror that is Facebook is converting more and more people all the time! Just kidding. Facebook isn't that bad. But it is stopping people from using forums and instant messaging. I remember the old days of using AIM, Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger. Now, many people have migrated to Facebook and abandoned these.

How many of you still use instant messaging? That would also include Skype. I'd be interested in chatting to a few of you via WLM (MSN) or Skype since I hope to expand my pet interests in the future. It would be a good opportunity. At any rate, I'd like to hear your thoughts about how many of your friends use instant messaging, etc. Smile
My favourite colour is green, my favourite number is 19.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2012, 03:32 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: Instant Messaging
I still have skype and windows Live messenger. Facebook chat doesn't have the same feel.

Actually just yesterday there was a news about how half(or maybe a quarter I can't remember) the Americans think Facebook is on its way out. I don't agree it is on its way out, but surely it will slow down as it is no longer a new toy.

I also see no advantage of Facebook over a real forum like this one. For a group discussion, a forum is the best method for back and forth talk.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2012, 03:27 AM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
I'm pretty sure facebook is on the way down. This may seem a pointless fact, but GM has pulled their advertising from facebook, I would think more will follow. They go public tomorrow, so that will be interesting to watch. Allot of the online reptile community is active on facebook, and there are some good groups, but even those groups all seem to revolve around another forum specific to what ever group or species of animals in question. I'm not saying it will crash in the next 6 months. But it will go in the direction of Myspace, which used to be the big thing, but somewhere along the line a board of directors will make decisions based on the most secure way to guarantee income. Now myspace is a shell of what it used to be, and is primarily an online music community (or was the last time I checked.)
05-24-2012, 10:19 AM,
Flexin Offline

Threads: 0
Facebook won't be going anywhere soon. GM also pulled the Superbowl ads. They found it was great for advertising but they are not sure its worth the cost anymore. Facebook could be getting more expensive.

Facebook is still great for sharing things with friends and family.

As far as long discussions go, I feel that facebook can't touch a forum. Not everyone feels that way but I do.

James
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
What GM are you guys talking about?

Facebook might no longer be a new thing, but it will be a while before it go down hill if it doesn't make huge changes. I am talking about years.
There are more copycats showing up, but they will not become near as big as Facebook any time soon.

I agree, Facebook can never replace a real forum for discussions. But many people don't seem to realize it, and they are too lazy to sign up on a forum which only take a minute to complete. We have a Facebook page for our forum. 800+ fans so far, plenty of likes for most wall updates which are really links to our forum threads. None actually joined to leave a comment on the actual forum thread. What are they thinking?
05-25-2012, 02:32 AM,
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
Use to use Skype and MSM a year or so ago. After several large problems with Skype dropping calls and the video being practically unuseable even with a large throughput. Most of the time I use Google talk in online chats as I can remain connected to people with my phone while I'm out and at home.

I think with Facebook a lot of people have moved to their messaging system as they're mostly on Facebook over half the day. They don't have to open another program or another window. Everything for them is in one place.
05-25-2012, 12:53 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Skype works just fine for both video call and voice call for me. I don't know why it's unusable for you.
05-28-2012, 03:21 AM,
kyle_crafty Offline

Threads: 2
I use skype from time to time. However I did not like the old IM days because that meant installing 108273986(56^2) different clients depending on your friends (meebo.com fixed this however) so I like how facebook has that. But as you said, people go there for their social fix instead of forums and chatrooms etc. I still frequent forums though because they have a niche I'm interested in and to meet NEW people, not people I already know almost everything about.
05-28-2012, 11:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM by Flexin.)
Flexin Offline

Threads: 0
(05-24-2012, 09:30 PM)Ram8349 Wrote: What GM are you guys talking about?

Facebook might no longer be a new thing, but it will be a while before it go down hill if it doesn't make huge changes. I am talking about years.
There are more copycats showing up, but they will not become near as big as Facebook any time soon.

I agree, Facebook can never replace a real forum for discussions. But many people don't seem to realize it, and they are too lazy to sign up on a forum which only take a minute to complete. We have a Facebook page for our forum. 800+ fans so far, plenty of likes for most wall updates which are really links to our forum threads. None actually joined to leave a comment on the actual forum thread. What are they thinking?

General Motors is backing out of Superbowl ads. They don't know if it is worth the asking price now.

James

(05-28-2012, 03:21 AM)kyle_crafty Wrote: I use skype from time to time. However I did not like the old IM days because that meant installing 108273986(56^2) different clients depending on your friends (meebo.com fixed this however) so I like how facebook has that. But as you said, people go there for their social fix instead of forums and chatrooms etc. I still frequent forums though because they have a niche I'm interested in and to meet NEW people, not people I already know almost everything about.

I don't think meebo.com handles everything does it? The mutiable programs are still a problem. There are companies making cross platform software for phones and everyone has there favorite. I use BBM but not everyone has a BlackBerry. I have installed two cross platform apps and not many people I know use them. So you would almost have to run 5 or 6 programs to talk to everyone.

James