LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a bath enough?
07-27-2012, 04:19 AM,
Dani72 Offline

Threads: 2
Is a bath enough?
I was watching a TV programme about pets earlier this week. It featured a couple who had large reptiles. I'm not sure what type the were, but they did mention that they were four feet long, so pretty big.

Every day, the reptiles would be put into the bath for a while and the rest of the time they were just kept around the house and petted on the sofa.

It just got me wondering, shouldn't these reptiles have had a habitat that was as similar as possible to their natural one? I would have thought that they should have free access to water. Or do they not need that?

I wouldn't fancy having reptiles myself, but I'm interested in how they should be kept.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2012, 08:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Is a bath enough?
Every reptile has different needs. You have to mention the actual species you saw in order to get a more accurate answer. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
Ram's answer is petty much on target. In general, they should have access to water. But many species bathing is a separate need from drinking. And as long as certain needs for that species are met, it doesn't necessarily have to mimic it's natural habitat. But again, allot of this varies with different species.

From what you said, I would guess they're taking about a large lizard, a monitor, argentine tegu, green iguana. There are many people who will let them free roam a house, with an area set up they can bask in, and they can do well.
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM,
lildoge Offline

Threads: 0
(07-30-2012, 03:20 PM)Fishbone Wrote: But many species bathing is a separate need from drinking.

I know I sure wouldn't want to drink my bathwater. Smile Our ball python doesn't soak in his water dish, but will soak when we give him a bath.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bath time with Thor the Thundergod! amanda509 8 4,947 06-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Last Post: evelynmcgregor