LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a pet your best friend?
04-25-2013, 06:08 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
Is a pet your best friend?
It is often said that a dog is a man's best friend, and many dog owners would agree. I think my cat is my friend, and I'm sure he thinks I am his best friend, because I feed him, take care of him, and we spend a lot of time together.

I can understand a type of friendship developing between larger animals and their owners. Horses, ponies, cats, dogs, parrots and other types of pet can be companionable and friendly. What about smaller pets. Can they ever been regarded as a best friend?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 02:12 AM,
mariposa Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Is a pet your best friend?
I definitely think that a cat can be considered a best friend! In fact, as the time goes on, I'm seeing that our cat is getting closer and closer to all of us. She can sense when we're not feeling well and will come sit by us or climb up beside us (very rare for her to do that other times!) and... well she just seems to be tuned into us and it's getting more and more pronounced the older she gets. We've joked that sometimes it's almost as if she can read our minds. Now if that isn't the kind of relationship that can be considered a best friend, I don't know what is! :-)
05-08-2013, 01:39 PM,
ivan_ox Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I love to care pets especially the dogs. They are really closed to human and i find them neat and clean. We can also play with them because they want to be treated as friends. They can easily be trained compared with the other pets. Imagine, they bark once they see other person who get to enter your home, it is because they are really sincere to their masters. That is why, they want to protect us from harm.
05-17-2013, 02:53 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
I love my pets but no they are not my best friends. To me I still need the type of communication humans have for one another. I know my pets show me affection and support in a way when I feel bad or when I'm sick. They are my companions.
06-04-2013, 03:45 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
I could call my cats my best friends Smile Maybe even more than that! After all, we live together, we eat together, we sleep together... If they were dogs, we would even take walks together! I very much appreciate that they are always there for me. Human friendships are different, of course, I can't get advice from cats, there are a lot of activities we can't share, but they will also have more patience for my rants, and sometimes I just need to get something out. In return, they never bother me with their own thoughts, so it's a win for me Big Grin (I'm really not as horrible as a friend as this might make me seem). It might be just me, but my furry friends sometimes catch up on my emotions faster than my human friends...
06-04-2013, 06:50 AM,
Kyama3 Offline

Threads: 2
I certainly consider my dog to be my best friend so yes. I think dogs are too cute not to be considered as friends, and I always frown upon people that refuse to see their dog as part of the family. I think dogs are naturally compassionate creatures and so make a great friend! I think any animal can be regarded as a friend, of course much different to any human friend, but still it's all personal opinion.
03-19-2014, 05:33 PM,
kindredsoul Offline

Threads: 4
My best friend for a long time was my dog, Shasta. I got him as a puppy and I kept him for many years. I gave him to a very nice family and visited him a lot in his new home. Unfortunately, I was a poor college student, and I couldn't find a place to keep him at the time because my income was low and I could only find small rooms to rent in apartments that did not allow pets. But I loved my dog so much that I did decide NOT to go to college until I found him a place. I wasn't about to put him in the pound, and I decided to wait on college because my first son--my dog--was more important than school. Still, I knew that I needed to get an education so I waited until I found a great owner.
03-28-2014, 05:16 AM,
Padwolf Offline

I feel that yes, my pets are my best friends. I miss them terribly, my dogs and cats, however my hamster is my best friend too. He always makes me smile. However, I can't wait to go back and visit my parents and see my friends again. They are more than that to me, though, they are family. I don't understand how some people can't see their pets as part of the family.
04-03-2014, 02:59 PM,
Ofnir Offline

Threads: 7
Yes, animals can surely be your best friends. My last cat passed away when he was 15 and his loss was every bit as traumatic and crushing for me as when I lost a relative. I was depressed and couldn't eat for days. Pets are different too in a way because they are very loyal, in most cases and they can pick up on your moods and feelings, almost like they have a sixth sense! They never ask you for money either or a ride to the store, they're just happy with some food, water and love/attention. Wouldn't life be easier if other people were that way?
05-20-2014, 09:17 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I think that there can be a bond between a person and their dog (or cat) that can be very deep, and filled with love. Dogs will often sacrifice their own safety and even their life to protect someone they love. You can tell them anything and everything, and they are never going to repeat it, or use it against you when they get mad at you. In fact, they don't usually get mad at you.
If you are sick, your dog will usually stay right beside you, and even lay on the bed when allowed.
I think that Chipper understands about everything that i say,and even most of what i am thinking.
However, when you have a person that is a true friend, that is also a wonderful thing. There is just something really enjoyable about having a wonderful conversation with a good friend over a hot cup of coffee, or just out for a walk together. No matter how much your dog understands you, they just can't have a conversation with you.
05-30-2014, 12:47 PM,
joy2111 Offline

Yes, my cats are my best friends; I doubt that they consider me as their best friend. It’s like that with cats. The owners are only the provider to them. Cats are different that dogs, but still I prefer cats than dogs
06-04-2014, 01:07 PM,
Francy Offline

Threads: 8
My dogs are definitely my best friends! Of course I have human best friends too! My "boys" are pretty much amazing. They are always happy to see me and they are very loyal and trusting, which is sometimes hard with humans. I love to watch them run and play! I watched them grow from when they were puppies to adults and they hold a very special place in my heart. It'll be very sad to see them go. As far as I'm concerned, they irreplaceable.
06-11-2014, 10:01 AM,
FreeFlowingJoy Offline

My four legged family is definitely my best friends, every one of them individually, and as a whole!

I especially find my middle size girl my partner. She was the first dog I ever had by myself. We lived in an apt. in the city. We quickly bonded and did things together. Prior to living in the city, I had lived in the country where when you get 'tired' of having a dog in the house, you simply have them go outside for awhile. Since I didn't have that luxury in an apt, I adapted.

We were both alone, she was a shelter pup. It was an awesome way we came to find each other. I had seen her in the section where you are not suppose to go, in the section where they are not 'pulled' out for the general public yet. That was one trip. When I went back, it was closing time and someone asked me what I was interested in. I told them, and when they looked her up, the lady gasped. This pup was overdue for being killed. I said instantly, QUICK, tell them someone wants her and don't let it happen!

So I went through all the normal adaption procedure. This dog knew, she knew, I had 'saved' her. For the photo they take as you get your dog home after their surgery, she leaned against me and they said, look, she knows her momma already. Smile I often wish I had a copy of that picture.

Anyway, as I said, we were both alone, and I took her with me almost everywhere. She grew up in one of the local dog parks. She was truly a blessing to me. We are family. She was and is the best partner I have ever had.

[Image: ZoomieAsPuppy760.jpg]
07-21-2014, 05:12 AM,
alash Offline
Registered

My dog and cats are my best friends yes. They don't answer back but are always there when you need some love. Loyal is the word.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,021 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,065 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,635 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,587 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,180 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,443 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,980 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,720 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,202 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,441 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,082 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,176 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,178 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57