[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your cat "Fixed"?
01-30-2013, 02:56 AM,
scotty Offline

Threads: 11
Is your cat "Fixed"?
Have you had your cat spayed or neutered? Or do you believe in leaving them as they are?

My two are both fixed, I got it done as soon as we got them as we have a boy and a girl and I figure that is a recipe for trouble!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2013, 05:29 AM,
Heffalumps Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Is your cat "Fixed"?
Both of our cats are neutered. Our big cat, Louie, we adopted from Petco a while back, he was already fixed at that time so we didn't have to do anything. Our kitten we just recently got fixed, I think it was in November. He's only 7 or 8 months old right now. It was really funny though, when he came back from the vet it was like he didn't even notice and just ran hog wild all over the place as usual.

Since they're both boy cats there wasn't a pregnancy risk if we didn't neuter, but we didn't want the little one to get aggressive or territorial over the other cat. And we most definitely didn't want him to start marking his space haha.
01-30-2013, 05:34 AM,
scotty Offline

I have heard people say that if they do not neuter their male cats the get the cats spraying everywhere in a fight for territory, which sounds just awful!!

I got my cats from Kijiji/Craigslist so they were pretty much as is, as must have been about 2 months old. I was shocked with how much it would cost to get them fixed, which really got me disheartened, as I was thinking I might have to give them up! Luckily though I found an SPCA clinic that did non-for-profit surgeries and we got them fixed!
01-31-2013, 11:11 AM,
Msmonkeyfeet Offline

My cat Bunny was already spayed when I adopted her and my cat Fizz, who is only about 6 months old now has yet to be neutered. I plan on having that done as soon as possible though, even though I haven't had any issues with him spraying or fighting with Bunny or anything.
01-31-2013, 12:53 PM,
Kaylee Offline

All 3 of my female cats are spayed. Two were spayed when I adopted them and my other one I took back into the humane society that I adopted her from to get spayed.
02-01-2013, 01:02 AM,
scotty Offline

I am glad everyone is doing this, all of my friends who have cats have not spent the extra money to get them fixed, and a lot of them are outside cats, which I feel is just a little bit irresponsible! The spraying thing would be my main concern as my friends house was disgusting, as he couldn't leave the cats alone at all or it was spraying all over the place!
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
We got Boots, fixed as soon as possible. It was done to prevent unwanted spraying of urine and crying for a female and aggessive behavior that sometimes comes with hearing other tomcats crying outside the house.

If I lived on a farm I might not have all the cats fixed as outside cats help keep rodents in check on a country farm. However, in town it is important to get them fixed to prevent fighting and lots of baby kittens running loose to get hit by cars or become sick from ticks and fleas, and other cat diseases.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 01:44 PM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
My female cat is spayed. Although she's an indoor cat, you just never know when an indoor cat will run out the door and possibly get into trouble, so she's fixed, just in case.
I think it's important to get your cats fixed because people won't line up to take your unwanted kittens. There are already too many unwanted kittens and cats in the world, so those little guys are not going to have a good chance of surviving. It's really unwise not to have that done.
03-16-2013, 03:05 AM,
scotty Offline

I agree as well, I think its more responsible to get them fixed, just in case. Kittens can be cute and fun, but not if some are popping up every year or sooner!
03-20-2013, 04:39 AM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
All of ours are and future cats will be as well. I don't think it is very responsible to not do it for the sake of the pets and the babies that are sometimes born.

Now a days there are many resources for people who may not be able to afford to get their cat fixed.
So, really there is no excuse. In my town there is a lovely lady who picks up cats for people and takes them to get fixed. I cost ten dollars and she takes them and brings the back home.

So, my boys are fixed, and in the long run for me it works best.
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
I had my older cat spayed very soon after she first started going in heat. I was very inexperienced back then, and since my cat was indoors all the time I was hoping we wouldn't have to go through that. But after she started going in heat I saw how hard it was for her. It would last for days, and she barely ate or slept and she got terribly skinny. After we got back from the surgery it was really hard for the first few days, since her wound was still a bit raw and painful and I was really worried she would bite them, but as soon as the stitches were out she was like a new cat. She filled up nicely (she's not fat in any way, she's normal now) and she seems a lot happier. My younger cat isn't neutered yet, but I definitively plan on taking him, before he starts marking the territory. I did a lot of internet research on this subject before taking her to get "fixed", and I couldn't find a single legitimate reason not to do it.
05-29-2013, 04:41 AM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
I love my cat but I don't think I should let it have more kittens. There are just too many stray ones and I recently read an article on how our pets are taxing the environment not just humans.
05-29-2013, 11:25 AM,
jules0309 Offline

Threads: 1
My cat is neutered too. I think it's the most responsible thing to do considering the number of unwanted pets around. It helps that the aggression in him is reduced too and it actually goes over to my neighbor's house to play with her cat that has been neutered too. I doubt my cat would have gone anywhere near the other cat had it not been neutered.
05-31-2013, 08:48 AM,
mariposa Offline

Threads: 8
Yes, absolutely we had this done as soon as the vet said it was time... I think she was 5 or 6 months old at the time. She is strictly an indoor cat... always 100% of the time, so it wasn't to prevent babies. I've heard that there are definite health benefits to getting cats spayed, especially when they get older. Plus of course it prevents the discomfort they'd have to go through while being in heat.

There's a bad memory associated with that time period, though... when we brought her home from the overnight hospital stay, she tried to jump up on the bathtub before being fully healed. I'll never forget that scream when it hurt her so badly. Bawling
06-01-2013, 05:54 AM,
maelstrom Offline

Threads: 5
My cat's also fixed. I remember my mom explaining to me when I was a little kid that we were "taking Abby and Barbie to make sure they can't have baby kitties, because we don't want to give away baby kitties", and I was bawling because dammit, I wanted baby kitties! I understand now that you should always get your cat fixed and I'm glad we did it before they got pregnant (both are outside cats).

I personally believe that you should get them spayed and neutered, I know that feral cat colonies can be nasty pieces of work and that cats can severely damage the local ecology when their population is left unchecked. Sure, kittens are cute, but when they grow up feral then very bad things happen, very bad things indeed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,080 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,339 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,673 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,603 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,930 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,892 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,403 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,293 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,340 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,404 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,819 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,522 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,542 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,577 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant