LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need To Catch A Mouse
10-23-2014, 03:10 PM,
nafretiti Offline

Threads: 3
Need To Catch A Mouse
Apparently we have a little buddy inside of our house, not sure how it got in here in the first place. Sometimes I can hear it chewing things in the wall, I believe it is trying to get into my closet where it likes to run when we chase it down trying to catch it. My question is does anyone know of a humane way to catch a mouse,I don't want a snapping trap or sticky paper that will kill it or make it chew its own leg off. Mice are pretty gross, that and they breed like rabbits. I'm hoping to catch this thing before I leave back to go home in Wisconsin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2014, 05:01 PM,
kfander Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Need To Catch A Mouse
(10-23-2014, 03:10 PM)nafretiti Wrote: Apparently we have a little buddy inside of our house, not sure how it got in here in the first place. Sometimes I can hear it chewing things in the wall, I believe it is trying to get into my closet where it likes to run when we chase it down trying to catch it. My question is does anyone know of a humane way to catch a mouse,I don't want a snapping trap or sticky paper that will kill it or make it chew its own leg off. Mice are pretty gross, that and they breed like rabbits. I'm hoping to catch this thing before I leave back to go home in Wisconsin.

You can get live traps for mice. I am linking to one as an example, although I'm sure there are other options as well. You can then move them over to the neighbor's house and let them out there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2014, 07:18 PM,
cyberpuppet Offline

Threads: 7
I have caught mice/voles by hand before after my cats have released them in the house. It is a case of watching where they go and blocking up where they have just come from until you can trap them in a smaller and smaller area. I recommend using thick gloves or cloth to pick it up with as wild mice can and do bite and have very sharp teeth. Aim for a grip on the scruff of the neck like you would with a stroppy cat.
Otherwise there are the humane live traps mentioned above.
10-28-2014, 04:55 PM,
nafretiti Offline

Threads: 3
Amazingly helpful thank you both, seems it isn't around anymore or it escaped outside. I have not seen it inside the house for a while, unless it died in one of the walls somewhere. I truly hope that isn't the case though, would hate to have something rotting in the walls.

My cat is pretty much useless, she loves to get birds and squirrels, but when I bring her into the house to catch a mouse she looks at me like I'm stupid. Anyways I think I am going to get one of these live traps in case it is still around, hopefully it can be caught then and can get rid of it way out in the woods somewhere.
10-28-2014, 07:37 PM,
cyberpuppet Offline

Threads: 7
You can also get sub sonic devices which you plug in to a socket that send out low (or it could be high) frequency noises which are very uncomfortable to small rodents but which humans supposedly cant hear. This should have the effect of making your home unpleasant to mice and things and will mean any there will leave and no new ones will set up home.

I dont know if they work because we have a pet rat and obviously they cannot be used if you have small rodent pets as it would be torture for them. If it is just you and the cat it might be worth looking into.
11-01-2014, 11:25 PM,
FunkyMonkey Offline

Threads: 2
In the past I've used live traps with a bit of peanut butter in them for bait. It smells, mice love it, and the oil in peanut butter means it doesn't go rancid or nasty after a few days. At one point, my house was legendary in the mouse neighbourhood for the place to get dinner and a taxi home! Big Grin

I've also tried those sonic devices and - to be honest - I've never thought much of them. As I understand it, they're supposed to create a barrier in the walls of your house so they won't actually do anything about the mice already inside.

The thing to bear in mind is that there is more than one mouse. If you're aware of one - or you see one - there are probably dozens. They also don't have bladders, so invest in some tupperware or tins for food kept in cupboards or drawers (like bread). They *will* be in there eating it.
11-13-2015, 03:03 AM,
CRM31 Offline

My mum catches them like you'd catch a spider - put a glass over them, some card underneath then take them outside. You need to take them a little way so they don't come straight back. A little bait food should draw them out for the catching though, good luck!
12-01-2015, 07:52 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

Threads: 1
(11-13-2015, 03:03 AM)CRM31 Wrote: My mum catches them like you'd catch a spider - put a glass over them, some card underneath then take them outside. You need to take them a little way so they don't come straight back. A little bait food should draw them out for the catching though, good luck!

How does your mom manage to catch the mice into the glass? They're so fast!
They tend to visit my house from time to time, and I do everything to not let my dog catch them. I would like to catch mice into glass Smile
12-03-2015, 06:16 PM,
lexinonomous Offline

We are having a similar issue in my house at the moment. During the night we can hear the mouse munching it's way into the granola boxes and such. We currently have cruelty free traps set up. In the past, the traps have worked amazingly. If I'm not mistaken, they are quite literally called "cruelty free mouse traps." Good luck!
01-09-2017, 07:48 PM,
davidguy Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
There are a lot of ways for doing this. Setting up a live trap is a goo idea, or may be, using any piece of food as bait.
01-14-2018, 02:38 PM,
Gemma23426 Offline

Use food trap which mouse loves to eat.
09-10-2018, 04:08 AM,
lovelynadia Offline
Registered

I miss my late cat, he used to be an expert to catch a mouse, had a good memory watching my cat hunt the mouse like Tom and Jerry cartoon. I think a lot mouse trap is sold everywhere near every town, the trap actually make the mouse eat the food and trap inside the cage.
05-16-2019, 10:03 PM,
CodyCobey Offline

Threads: 1
Once we also have 2-3 mice in the home and it was looking impossible to catch them. Then, my husband's friend suggests us to mix D-con mouse pellets into wet wheat flour. We made them into the form of small balls, and they worked. After killing them, you must use a mouse repellent for few days.
07-07-2022, 06:23 PM,
Busbyx Offline

The most humane way I know is a three-liter jar placed upside down and propped up with a coin. When a mouse run inside, it touches a coin and the jar closes an exit