LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parrot's wings
03-01-2013, 09:32 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
Parrot's wings
Some parrot owners, esp in stores, cuts the wing's feathers by scissors so they will not be able to fly and to escape.I feel so heartbroken knowing this is happening behind my back.
Is it more hard seeing it than it really is or this is really more hurtful for the parrots? and what's your opinion on this?
Would agree to having this done or you would protest this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 03:53 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Parrot's wings
I have mixed feelings about wing clipping. It really depends on the bird and the household. Some birds are clumsy fliers and are likely to hurt themselves if fully-flighted (I've heard of several birds who have broken their necks crashing into walls or windows). On the other hand, most birds can benefit from being able to fly - it's good exercise as well as a natural behavior.

I've never had to make that choice with my bird. He was clipped when I adopted him and I've tried to let his feathers grow back in to give him a chance to fly. However, it turns out that the feathers on his right wing grow in at half the length they should, so even though I've never had him clipped, he still can't fly very well.
02-02-2014, 09:58 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Parrot's wings
(03-11-2013, 03:53 AM)jenb128 Wrote: I have mixed feelings about wing clipping. It really depends on the bird and the household. Some birds are clumsy fliers and are likely to hurt themselves if fully-flighted (I've heard of several birds who have broken their necks crashing into walls or windows). On the other hand, most birds can benefit from being able to fly - it's good exercise as well as a natural behavior.

I've never had to make that choice with my bird. He was clipped when I adopted him and I've tried to let his feathers grow back in to give him a chance to fly. However, it turns out that the feathers on his right wing grow in at half the length they should, so even though I've never had him clipped, he still can't fly very well.

There is no pain associated with clipping a birds wings if done properly. The primary reason for a clipping is not to stop flight but to limit the flying ability. If you have someone trim the flight feathers properly the bird will still have the experience of a lift in the air and the downward glide.

Clipping is done for the safety of the bird. There are no nerve endings in the flight feathers, so there is no pain. If you are not experienced at clipping, I recommend using an Avian Veterinarian. If you do not know the visible difference between a flight feather and a blood feather then call the Vet.

You said that one wing has longer feathers than the other?? You need to have the feathers cut EXACTLY the same even if it means a bit of a trim on one side. Uneven feather create serious balance issues. Not only does this pose a safety threat but the unbalanced state of the bird creates a decline in self confidence..well...because they are always unbalanced, unsure of how their bodies are going to respond to their own movements.

I do not consider this cruel at all. I like a standard feather clip, enough to allow them to bounce around and enough for a comfortable downward glide. It is a safety issue for the bird.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on the first parrot? Gatiabre 3 983 12-30-2020, 10:12 PM
Last Post: PaulReidG
  Heartless teenager steals and kills pet parrot. Happyflowerlady 4 4,251 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Last Post: pwarbi
  Raising a baby Parrot BellaVida 5 3,919 05-20-2016, 04:12 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Possible purchase of parrot Libragirl67 4 3,111 08-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SueA555
  African Gray Parrot writer811 7 3,890 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Last Post: jenb128
  Parrot singing rock song laurasav 0 3,293 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Last Post: laurasav
  Dealing with a bratty parrot laurasav 1 2,291 07-22-2012, 04:19 AM
Last Post: laurasav
  A talking Eclectus Parrot laurasav 4 3,714 07-03-2012, 03:44 AM