LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible purchase of parrot
03-30-2013, 01:35 AM,
Libragirl67 Offline

Threads: 2
Possible purchase of parrot
We have been thinking of getting a parrot. We have researched all about them. Looked into their temperment. And deciding if our family would be a suitable enviornment. My only question is this. I know they are tropical birds. And in the winter our home gets drafty and we cannot affrod to keep the heat super high. So how hot does the birds living quarters need to be?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 09:27 PM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Possible purchase of parrot
It's best to find a place in your home without drafts for the cage, because spending too much time in a draftly place can make a bird sick. As far as the temperature, 70 degrees is okay. However, if the particular bird lived in a warmer environment, it's a good idea to start with a temperature close to his/her previous home, and drop it a degree or two each day so s/he can acclimate.

If you keep your house cooler than 70, you can provide supplemental heat for the bird with heat lamps, heated perches, or a heat panel. The panels are expensive, but they work great. My bird loves his.
http://www.avitec.com/Avi-Temp-Infrared-...-p/ihp.htm
04-15-2013, 09:55 AM,
RiF Offline

Threads: 0
Very careful with drafts. They can kill a parrot really easilly, which I know is weird since you wouldn't think air movement would hurt a bird. As to the cold, it isn't usually an issue. If you do use heat lamps be careful to leave a spot in which your bird can escape from the heat.

Now an important issue: will your bird be able to get attention evey day, several hours a day? Otherwise, get two, or none. I say this not as one of those excessive people who seem to think it's either a 5 star hotel for pets or nothing, but as someone who had to give her parrot away to a breeder because he'd start screaming every time I left the room, which with college, was a lot of time. They are very affectionate, but also very needy creatures,
08-05-2013, 12:28 AM,
Millenia Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
Birds need to be kept in the main part of your home as they aren't solitary creatures. Is every room in your house drafty? If you live in a place where it gets very cold in the winter, this could be more of a problem than if you live in a more mild climate.

This would also depend on what type of bird you plan to get. Larger ones are much less susceptible to drafts than smaller ones. I've had an African Grey for 18 years. His cage is usually next to a window and is often near an air conditioning vent. We've never had any problems with him getting ill.

The main consideration is whether you are prepared to provide this bird with the care it needs for the balance of its lifetime. Parrots can live a very long time and it isn't fair for you to get tired of them and pass them off to someone else. Before I got my Grey, I considered carefully if I was prepared for this responsibility. I also planned for his care if he should outlive me. My oldest promised many years ago to take him for me if that were to happen.
08-14-2013, 09:50 AM,
SueA555 Offline

Threads: 0
Parrots are pretty adaptable in terms of temperature, but you shouldn't let your bird get in a drafty area because they can get sick.

What kind of parrot are you looking for? I have a Jardine's parrot named Joey, who is now 15. I got him when he was four months old. He is a great companion -- very affection, talks, and likes to be close to me. He can be stubborn though, so it's important to set boundaries early.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on the first parrot? Gatiabre 3 983 12-30-2020, 10:12 PM
Last Post: PaulReidG
  Heartless teenager steals and kills pet parrot. Happyflowerlady 4 4,251 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Last Post: pwarbi
  Raising a baby Parrot BellaVida 5 3,919 05-20-2016, 04:12 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Parrot's wings AnnaU93 2 2,475 02-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Last Post: BirdPoo
  African Gray Parrot writer811 7 3,890 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Last Post: jenb128
  Parrot singing rock song laurasav 0 3,294 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Last Post: laurasav
  Dealing with a bratty parrot laurasav 1 2,291 07-22-2012, 04:19 AM
Last Post: laurasav
  A talking Eclectus Parrot laurasav 4 3,715 07-03-2012, 03:44 AM