LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Pick A Pet
02-09-2013, 02:59 AM,
4sweed Offline

Threads: 64
How To Pick A Pet
As a young girl and even now I love reading animal storybooks. Our first dog was a beautiful collie named "Kimmy." My mother got her because she had always loved collies after reading the stories about "Lassie" and "Lad the dog." Collies are know for being protective and good with children, and so was a good addition to our family. When it came time to pick another dog, we wanted a big german shepard or husky, because our stories included "The Call of the Wild" and "Rin-Tin Tin," and tales about sled-dogs. However, since we lived in a town and had very little yard a big dog was out of the question. It was then the stories were read but the dog pick was much smaller.

Our next dog was "Barney," who was a cross between a beagle and a basset hound. He was black and white, short legs with beagle ears. Barney was very smart and loved to get into trouble. He was surprisingly good at jumping, which caused my parents grief in trying to keep him locked in a room by means of a tall board blocking the entry way. We would put him in the room and leave for a few hours only to return and find him out in the house where he had torn up waste baskets and chewed on our shoes. Sometimes there would be a smelly pile to remind us he was not pleased to be left behind.

However, Barney's worst habit was he hated anyone in uniform. So utility workers and postal workers, and policemen were on his target list. Although, he never bit anyone, he did scare many people with his barking and aggressive behavior.

Our last family dog was a small mixed breed dog named "Willie." He was fun to have and loved everyone.
What's your favorite animal storybooks and how did you pick your pet?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2013, 01:00 PM,
ChanellG Offline

Threads: 1
RE: How To Pick A Pet
I don't have a favorite animal storybook, and as a child, my pets were picked out for me. For several years I gave every dog the name Snoopy, lol. Then one day the adults said it was time to pick a new name. My brother and I named that dog Bambi and when he got a companion I named Ariel after a female character on a television show (this was way before the Little Mermaid).

Fortunately, our pets never acted out that way, but most were outside dogs. They only came indoors during bad weather and the usually stayed in the utility room. Now that I'm older, I think all city dogs at least, should live indoors.
Find all posts by this user
02-19-2013, 03:28 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
Most people pick pets based on what they like. This of course comes with exceptions for kids. Usually parents pick their pets for them.

Other things come to decision on what pets to pick is sometimes based on the fact of cost, and the amount of responsibilities involved. People don't usually get a pet they can't afford to keep, or a pet they don't have time for.

If you are talking about how to pick a dog, I do not have a clue. Smile
03-06-2013, 04:26 PM,
Yatte Offline

Threads: 8
I did not have any favorite pet books. The most important factors in choosing a pet you should consider is, would you be able to meet the animal's needs, some animals are quite tricky to keep and if you do not have the knowledge to care for them and keep them happy this might turn into a disaster. What are the costs involved, will you be able to feed your pet and pay the vet bills, heating bills and special treats they need. Some pets needs a lot of time and attention, so time is another factor, If you do not have the time at hand to groom them or play with them rather consider a pet that do not need all that much attention. Consider the space you have, some dogs really need a lot of space to roam especially the big breeds, they will not thrive if you stick them in an apartment with no garden.

The most important thing is not to get a new pet on impulse, consider it wisely before you jump.
03-08-2013, 06:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM by 4sweed.)
4sweed Offline

Sometimes pets pick you. I have received pets by necessity.

In the cases of puppies of whom their mother got hit by a car.

Or baby chipmunks taken by others from the nest, given to me to care for.

Baby chicks and a injured duck.

All were pets not planned for or personally picked, but none the less needed care and protection.

Puppies were raised and homes were found for each of them. The chipmunks played happily around outside my house for years. Baby chicks became hens that layed eggs. And the duck spent a few happy years around our pond.

While these animals were not hand picked they were loved and cared for as long as they lived.
03-25-2013, 08:51 PM,
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
When it comes to picking pets you need to take into consideration several factors like how much space you have for your pet to play in, how much time you can spare caring for your pet and exercising it, your lifestyle and energy level (yours and your pet's)as well. When my hubby and I got our first dog 3 years into our marriage we did not do our research. We got a duchshand just because he was so adorable when he was a pup. We did not know that it was a breed that needed to run and liked to dig holes. We lived in the city at that time and both of us were very busy. This meant we were not able to walk him as much as he needed and he'd usually be cooped up inside the house with no garden to play in. We did the best we could but I felt that what we gave was not good enough.
03-27-2013, 09:42 AM,
4sweed Offline

My parents always picked dogs for our pets. We loved the outdoors and enjoyed the companionship that dogs provide. My brother's and I would teach them tricks like taking messages to each other, and the old standby of sitting and fetching, laying down and rolling over, speaking and coming when called.
For the most part all our dogs were fun to own and be around.

We had a small parakeet one time and enjoyed him until one day he accidently escaped and flew into a wall and ended his life. We had tiny turtles in an aqurium as well. Each creature was a learning experience and a joy to have as we were growing up.
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM,
amundy8 Offline

Threads: 0
Dumbo was my favorite animal story, and I picked one pet. It seemed the rest picked me! Somehow someone would just give us a dog and we would take them, train them and name them. I never named any of them after the storybook characters, although we kept the character items. Instead, we made up names after people or titles.
05-13-2013, 04:16 PM,
Rube Offline

Threads: 10
I don't remember why, but I do know that as a child I always wanted to have a dog. My parents bought me a budgie, but it was not the same. I was one of those annoying children who keeps asking "Daddy can I have a dog... please!" Eventually my parents gave way and, although the dog soon became a beloved family pet, I found ou that I had been right to ask for a dog. Having a dog suited me. I loved to go walking with my dog, and I was old enough by that time to walk him by myself. I liked grooming him, and bathing him, feeding him and teaching him to sit, stay, beg and fetch. How I knew I would be a good dog owner I shall never know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,015 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,061 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,580 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,166 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,441 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,481 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,974 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,436 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,079 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,174 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,175 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57