LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine Sol repels fleas, ticks, and other bugs
10-08-2013, 12:52 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Pine Sol repels fleas, ticks, and other bugs
Fall seems to be one of the worst times of year for bugs in the house. In the spring and summer, they are outside in the yard and being a nuisance, but then fall comes, the weather changes, and the bugs head inside where it is warmer.

What I read, was to use a dilution of Pine Sol in a spray bottle and use it anywhere in the house that you want to chase out the bugs. I tried it, and it seems to really work. I don't know of it actually kills the bugs or not, but as long as they are gone, and not being a problem in the house, that is what is important to me.

The article also said that it works to kill fleas fast when you bathe the dog in it, and just be sure to keep the Pine Sol out of their eyes.
I put some in a plastic tub ( I have a small dog) , and put Chipper in the tub, sponged some over his head, carefully avoiding the area around his eyes, and left him standing in it for a few minutes, putting some of the soapy water over his back and neck every little bit.
Once rinsed, he only had a few dead fleas on him, so it seemed to really work good, plus they were repelled by the smell, so he stayed bug free afterwards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM,
BirdPoo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Pine Sol repels fleas, ticks, and other bugs
Please do not believe everything that you read on the internet. Pine-Sol is highly toxic to both dogs and cats and is very commonly referred to as "Pine-Sol Toxicity." This has been documented in various articles across the internet.

Exposing your pet to Pine-Sol causes a plethora of issues in which some cannot be reversed. The original Pine-Sol contains some of the most dangerous chemicals, including pine oil, surfactants, glycolic acid and isopropyl alcohol. The dangers in other variations of Pine-Sol center mostly around surfactants. All of these chemicals can cause your puppy or dog to suffer from serious and life-threatening symptoms and conditions, including acidosis, renal failure, vomiting, fever, coma, decreased heart rate, mouth irritation and a drunken gait. Puppies and small dogs are especially at risk because their smaller size means a smaller amount of Pine-Sol can cause adverse effects in comparison to full-grown adult dogs.
(taken from: http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/puppy-gets...-4371.html)

Have you read the warning label on the bottle? The label CLEARLY states, "Hazardous to Humans and Animals," and "Avoid Contact with Skin."

If you are having a flea and/or tick issue then why not use the proper products? I understand that flea and tick products can get very expensive but there is no sensible reason to "dip" your pet in a floor cleaner.

If there are fleas in your environment then I would advise you to treat your pet and the environment with something made for flea treatment and prevention. You must do this every 2 weeks for a period of approximately 6 weeks. Surprisingly enough, you can use Dawn dish washing liquid to wash your pet. It kills fleas and is widely used in veterinary clinics for the immediate removal of a flea infestation. There is also a product called CapStar that can be purchased from your veterinarian. CapStar comes in pill form and once ingested will kill all of the fleas on your pet within a few hours. Please note that this pill is not a cure all to a flea problem as it only works for 24 hours and does not kill the eggs or larvae. Another option is K-9 Advantix. This is likely my favorite product but also comes with warnings if you have a cat in the house. Basically, if you own a cat, you should NOT use this product.

Let us move along to treating your environment. Please read your labels and purchase a product specifically designed to kill fleas, eggs and larvae. Vacuuming your carpeting daily for several weeks to a month will pick up the eggs. Change your bag frequently. This truly helps.

Cheaper is not always better. Stop relying on the internet to be your authority on flea treatment and prevention. Consult with your veterinarian and for the sake of your pet, stop bathing him/her in toxins.

Having said all of this, I highly advise you to talk to your veterinarian before using any product, even the ones that I recommend.

http://www.dogster.com/cleaning/cleaning...t-dog-safe
http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2852-...erOriginal
http://www.oes.org/page2/4335~Danger_-_P..._dogs.html
09-24-2015, 06:03 PM,
MercyGrace Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I and one of our daughters is allergic to many of the things used on dogs for fleas. A friend of ours who also had the same allergies used Pinesol to bath her pets. We used it to bath our dog for 16 years with no problems. He was a medium-large size dog and we used the garden hose and bathed him without him being in any type of container. So maybe that made a difference. I have also heard that Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is good to bath your dog with to prevent fleas.
11-08-2015, 12:01 AM,
Susan Offline

Threads: 0
I definitely would not be bathing my dog in Pine Sol. The chemicals in that is very toxic and be very harmful to your pet. I am not sure where you read this but it is not good advice. Yes you can spray to get rid of bugs but don't bath your dog in it. He may get really sick.
11-13-2015, 08:38 AM,
lexinonomous Offline

Threads: 2
When I saw the title of the post, I was scared I was going to read a paragraph about bathing your dog in Pine Sol. I can see spraying the Pine Sol around the house being an effective way to rid of pests. It's such a strong smell and full of chemicals- It doesn't surprise me that it works. I don't think I would use Pine Sol to bathe my dog. I can imagine that being borderline dangerous for the little canine. I would have to accidentally get the chemicals in his eyes or somehow irritate the skin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ticks - mortal enemy of dogs Corzhens 1 2,773 08-27-2016, 02:52 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Getting rid of ticks myself maxen57 2 1,977 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Help! Ticks! helaofthenorns 5 3,480 01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Last Post: peidi
  How do you find where fleas are hiding? TreeClimber 10 8,905 07-20-2014, 03:29 AM
Last Post: evelynmcgregor
Star Protect Your Dog From Ticks 4sweed 4 4,008 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Last Post: trishgl
  Ticks Removal Tips haopee 5 3,603 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Last Post: haopee