LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea Horses
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM by BellaVida.)
BellaVida Offline

Threads: 2
Sea Horses
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any Seahorses in their aquarium. I have only had experience with Betas, algae eaters, gold fish & other common fish.
The other day, my brother found a dead sea horse on the sidewalk,randomly! I thought it was so cute. I kept it in a bag, I know I'm a weird-o!
I really love Seahorses & want to get atleast two.
Anyone have experience with these unique little cuties?

I posted some pictures below of the kind that I want:

[Image: seahorse.jpg]
[Image: seahorse2.jpg]
Arent they so cute?!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2014, 03:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014, 03:14 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Sea Horses
Seahorse belongs in a marine (saltwater) aquarium. The fish you have had were all freshwater fish. If you have not had experience with saltwater aquariums, it is not recommended to jump onto having seahorses. Keeping a saltwater aquarium is a lot harder than having a freshwater aquarium. (it is also more expensive).

By the way, the fish you have mentioned don't not even belong in the same aquarium. Betta is tropical fish, goldfish is not. Wink
So what kind of aquariums have you had? I would recommend to have years of experience with a freshwater tropical aquarium before getting the first saltwater aquarium.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2014, 03:58 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
You are not the only one want unusual pets. My cousin's wife wants to have jellyfish as pets after they visited a large aquarium. Big Grin Aren't all these sea creatures amazing?

Ram is right. Wanting to have some pets is one thing, to have the knowledge and budget to keep them is a totally different story. We always recommend people to do extensive research on what they exactly need to do before even get started on where to get the actual pets. Having experience of keeping a freshwater aquarium then a marine aquarium with fish will definitely help. At least you will know how to keep the system free of ammonia and nitrite. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-19-2014, 02:44 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I have always found seahorses to be fascinating, ever since I was a little girl. I guess that since I was "horse-crazy" as a child, that seahorses just had to figure in there somewhere.
My mother had freshwater aquariums, and she raised guppies, and also some other tropical fish; I really enjoyed watching all of the fish, and she had explained to me that we could not have any seahorses in there since they had to have salt water.
Back in the fifties, when I was growing up, they sold things like squirrel monkeys and even seahorses were always sold on the inside covers of comic books. My mom let me order some of the seahorses. I think they came with a special mix to put into the water to make it the right salt mix for them to live, and what they sent me was some kind of eggs, which hatched out into the tiniest seahorses ever ! They were so tiny that you almost needed a magnifying glass to actually see them, but they happily lived in the little goldfish bowl and I loved watching them bob around in there.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keeping Sea Anemones in a Marine Tank BWP 0 2,085 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Last Post: BWP
  Any Red Sea Max owners out there? vrobnson 1 3,089 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Ram