Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Habits?
06-25-2015, 11:18 PM,
Connie Offline

Threads: 2
Strange Habits?
Does you dog have any strange habits?

We have noticed that the dog we dog sit for and also walk rather frequently (almost daily) has 2 strange habits when it comes to urinating.

The first is both scent marking and urinating and he will only urinate on nettles. Yep, stinging nettles. They don't seem to bother him in the slightest. He will walk in to the patch and take a leak and there are lots of nettles around where we live. In winter, he will find the dead stems of nettles to take a leak on and he actively searches them out all year round.

His second bad habit (and it is a bad habit rather than a medical problem) is that once he has started to take a leak, if you walk passed him or something gets his attention, he will walk off still taking a leak and well, you have to be careful where you walk... not to mention you end up having to wash his hind legs afterwards! And you get this pattern across the tarmac or dirt that is rather distinctive and you know it is him and only him...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 02:57 PM,
niightwind Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Strange Habits?
That's very interesting about the urinating on nettles, Connie! Of all the strange quirks I've heard of dogs having, that is definitely a new one, haha. Those habits may not be the best ones to have in a dog, but at least they give him a unique piece to his personality. Smile

As for my dog, he has a bit of a funny habit too. Any time someone come near him he always - every single time - rolls over onto his back and starts thumping his tail as if asking for attention. I've heard that there's new research showing that dogs roll over onto their backs to expose their belly as a combative tactics to stop aggression, or out of fear. But I find this unlikely in my dog. He's never had any harm done to him or something that would cause him to be fearful, and he does it all the time, even when he approaches me. He jumps up onto the couch next to me, snuggles up between my legs and then rolls over onto his back and looks up at me longingly. He's a belly rub boy!

He also has this funny little thing where occasionally he won't jump up onto small ledges that he can easily just step up to. He'll sit there and wait for someone to lift him up. Then, occasionally as soon as someone tried to lift him he'll jump right on up himself! Funny little dog.
07-01-2015, 10:32 PM,
SarahWorksAtHome Offline

Threads: 8
Peeing on stinging nettles just does not sound fun at all! Silly pup.
My big dog has a couple funny habits. She has to spin in four circles before laying down. It's always exactly four circles, too! She also takes a few bites of her food out of her dish and deposits them on the floor beside her, then continues to eat the rest of her food normally. After she is done, she will get those morsels she left out. She has done that since she was a puppy. Also, she seems to think she should go get in her crate every time I begin changing clothes!
02-02-2016, 12:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 12:04 AM by mett1982.)
mett1982 Offline

Threads: 0
Photo  RE: Strange Habits?
My Alaskan Malamute likes to sleep with her paw tucked behind her ear. She does this almost every time that she lays down to nap. I love it. It is definitely something that I have never seen any other dog do.
05-16-2016, 08:53 AM,
Corzhens Offline

Threads: 50
It's strange and sometimes annoying that Barbie, my favorite dog, often doesn't eat breakfast. What she wants is to be hand-fed with the food. It was a habit that our former housemaid did, she had seemed to have spoiled Barbie. Now, Barbie doesn't eat breakfast although there are times she would eat half. But I had forbidden hand-feeding because that is a bad idea. Our 2 other dogs, Tisoy and Pipoy, eat breakfast on their own so Barbie should abide by the house rules.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What strange or interesting games does your dog play ? Happyflowerlady 1 1,858 12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Miranda Boldari