LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Vegetables for your pets .
11-10-2015, 08:49 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
Vegetables for your pets .
Most pet food is some combination of meat (usually meat byproducts) and mixed grains. A few pet foods are now also adding vegetables, which I think is a good idea.
We always give our dogs vegetables when we are having some with our meals. Sweet potato or squash is very healthy, and both of my dogs love this.
Chipper always expects to share my meals with me, and I give him bites of green beans, broccoli, carrots, and whatever other vegetables we are having for dinner.
He much prefers the vegetables when he is being hand-fed; but that is because he has been fed that way all of his life, and thinks he is a little fuzzy person.

Vegetables have a lot of important vitamins and minerals, and when pets just get meat and grains, they are missing out on all of the extra nourishment from the veggies.
What kinds of veggies does everyone else feed their pets, and how well do they like it ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 10:51 AM,
lexinonomous Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Vegetables for your pets .
I don't feed my dogs vegetables that often, but they do receive carrots from time to time. They seem to enjoy them because of the crunch. I think they suspect that I'm giving them some sort of "human food," so they automatically assume it's going to be delicious. They generally forget to chew and just swallow them as fast as possible.

I like the benefits that dogs can receive from carrots, though. The carrots are great for the canine's dental health and provide a good amount if vitamin A. They can also help with regularity if your dog is having constipation issues.
12-13-2015, 05:51 AM,
legeipslt Offline

Threads: 1
(11-12-2015, 10:51 AM)lexinonomous Wrote: I don't feed my dogs vegetables that often, but they do receive carrots from time to time. They seem to enjoy them because of the crunch. I think they suspect that I'm giving them some sort of "human food," so they automatically assume it's going to be delicious. They generally forget to chew and just swallow them as fast as possible.

I like the benefits that dogs can receive from carrots, though. The carrots are great for the canine's dental health and provide a good amount if vitamin A. They can also help with regularity if your dog is having constipation issues.

My two Chihuahuas love carrots! When I sit down to eat my lunch, which always includes carrots in my salad, I give them pieces of cut up carrots along with with a tiny bit of their dog chow as a treat. I was giving them a small bit of sugar snap peas along with the carrots, but it gave them indigestion. So, now it's just carrots for them!
01-04-2016, 03:53 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
My two dogs love cooked carrots, but neither one will eat a raw carrot for some reason. Probably, if one of them would eat it, then the other one would eat it ,too.
Chipper is just a 6 lb Yorkiepoo; and he is old, so he might have more trouble chewing up a raw carrot; but Tootsie (part Queensland Heeler) can crunch down anything.
Maybe I am not making the carrots small enough, and if I grated them or even put them in the food processor for a few seconds, they would like it better.
Sweet potatoes are another favorite veggie that both of my dogs just love, and they also eat those when they are cooked.
When we have soup, which usually has all kinds of veggies, they happily eat their little bowls of soup, too. I think that most vegetables are just so full of vitamins and minerals that the more of them we can eat and feed our pets, the healthier we will all become.
02-02-2016, 08:06 AM,
thash1979 Offline

Threads: 0
I do not feed my dog any additional vegetable than what is in his dog food. We buy a top grade dog food that has vegetables in it along with bison meat or salmon. We have never fed him anything that has byproducts as an ingredient. I can't imagine my dog trying to eat a raw carrot or peas lol. He would probably think it was a toy rather than something he was dispose to eat. I think if you are getting a good quality dog food,that you would not need to fees them any additional meat or veggies.
02-03-2016, 01:57 AM,
Chris Simeou Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Hello,I have got informed from my pet's vet that there are some vegetables or fruits that are not as healthy as we think!.
One of the most dangerous fruits for your dogs stomach is the green grape(Thomson) because of the acid that the fruit has in it and the difficulty of your dogs stomach to digest the grape's juices .I am not a doctor for sure and my opinion is unprofessional but it would be perfect if you get informed by your pet's vet about the diet that you have to make to your loving friends!!!

Chris Simeou
03-05-2016, 03:38 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
Like us humans, pets don't have a soft spot for vegetables. The only thing that makes kids to consume vegetables when they grow up is insight as to their importance. But for pets, the situation is different since they learn through instinct and exploration. I have observed with fascination when my pet dog nimbled on a banana with caution. Some time later, he could be seen devouring with relish overripe avocados from a big tree that used to grow in our compound. I concluded that pets don't like sugary foods. They prefer those with a high fat content like avocados and macadamia nuts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,832 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant