LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What are some strange things your pet does?
07-05-2013, 10:20 AM,
sasha32 Offline

Threads: 6
What are some strange things your pet does?
My co-worker discovered her cat using the toilet one day. She has had this cat since it was a kitten, and they have never trained it to use anything other than the litter box. They have no idea where the cat learned this, except maybe through watching them.

Has your pet every surprised you with a strange habit?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 12:49 PM,
Jezebella Offline

Threads: 4
RE: What are some strange things your pet does?
My cat can open the drawer that holds her treats. One morning I woke up and looked over and she was in the drawer stuffing her face. I assumed that I forgot to shut the drawer after I gave her a treat that night. The next night I woke up when I heard a noise in the middle of the night, she was sitting on the desk trying to shove her paw into the handle of the drawer. I decided to not move and just watch her. She got her paw into the handle and pushed on it enough to open the drawer a crack. Then she shoved her paw into the crack she'd made and pushed until it was open enough for her to climb in. Now I keep her treats in a jar with a screw lid. She hasn't figured that one out yet.
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM by BWP.)
BWP Offline

Threads: 9
My old boxer used to climb up the fence and jump over to the neighbors house at night and squeeze his way out of their main gate (ours had a grille that was too small for him to squeeze out of). He then would run outside to scavenge through the rubbish from the neighbor's. We called him 'Houdini' because he was such a great escape artist! He never liked being in the house and would run around the neighborhood. He liked being outside and would often find ways to sneak out of the house!
He could even climb fences to jump over to the neighbors' houses!
07-09-2013, 11:08 AM,
mscuban Offline

Threads: 3
Tiny doesn't really have strange things she does. What she has been doing that is driving me insane is that when I try to take her for a walk, all she does is sit on the top step of the stairs and won't go down. I'm like, dude moooove. I want to go walking. I end up giving up and not going for a walk even on my own.
07-10-2013, 12:58 AM,
Amalia Offline

Threads: 2
My rabbit runs after us sometimes when we walk past it and gives the impression that he wants to bite our ankles Smile One of the male peacocks turn his neck in a very strange way until he completely hides his head and he looks like he doesn't even have one! If they find the kitchen window open. a couple of pigeon fly in and eat with us from our plates. As for my cats and dogs... there are so many things they do on a daily basis that it makes it impossible to choose only one. I have to mention that 5 of my cats sleep in the sink. The same sink Smile)
07-13-2013, 01:49 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

Threads: 1
My cats do some strange things as well Big Grin I've never tried to teach my cats any tricks, so I was very surprised when my older cat started playing fetch with me. Her favorite toy is my rubber hair bands, and usually when she gets hold of one she gets a bit aggressive about it. So, I was shocked one day when she dropped her hair band next to me and started meowing and rubbing against me. I guess it was more fun then playing on her own.
My younger cat has developed a strange habit as well. We just recently started sleeping in the same room, and we're slowly adjusting. I lay in my bed and make myself comfortable, and he'll come to lay next to me, leaning against me, which is very adorable and all. But if I move in a way that moves him too, he gets up with a very strict look on his face, starts meowing and bites me gently. I barely slept the first night because he kept disciplining me. XD
08-04-2013, 10:28 PM,
shopgirl Offline

Threads: 11
My Yorkie, Peanut, has a foot fetish. He loves feet! If me, my husband or anyone else for that matter, sits down on the couch, he immediately goes over and stands over their feet. It is like he is guarding and protecting them or something. It is very strange. If I'm laying in bed, he does the same thing. He walks down to my feet and again just stands over them. He will stand there forever. In our kitchen, we have an island with bar stools and I sit there often doing bills, looking up recipes in my cookbooks, watching TV while I'm cooking, playing on my laptop, phone, etc. If my legs are crossed, he will stand up on his back legs, rest his 2 front paws on the top of my foot, prop himself up and stand there for the longest time. It's so cute but weird.

On a grosser note, I have to watch him when I let him out to do his business. We have a lot of rabbits in our yard and unfortunately that means a lot of rabbit poop on our patio. If he finds rabbit poop he will smell it and then want to rub the top of his head in it. I guess this isn't really strange because every dog likes to roll around in gross stuff but just throwing that out there. Of course he likes to roll around in our dirty laundry as well! Especially....can't believe I'm going to tell this...but he loves my underwear. TMI? Probably. Ha Ha. He has destroyed too many cute pairs of Victoria Secrets underwear that is for sure! Perv dog! ;-)
08-06-2013, 08:49 AM,
midnightrider Offline

Threads: 0
I've had a few dogs before but my miniature schnauzer has the strangest habit. I don't know why (and I hope I don't sound too juvenile) but he's terrified of his own farts, every time one occurs he jumps up stares at his behind and then must patrol the house for a few minutes before he can calm down. My other dogs don't even seem to notice when it happens,but the schnauzer just can't seem to understand whats going on. Does anyone else have experiences like this or is my dog special ? Tongue
I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars.
Charles Darwin
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM,
shopgirl Offline

(08-06-2013, 08:49 AM)midnightrider Wrote: I've had a few dogs before but my miniature schnauzer has the strangest habit. I don't know why (and I hope I don't sound too juvenile) but he's terrified of his own farts, every time one occurs he jumps up stares at his behind and then must patrol the house for a few minutes before he can calm down. My other dogs don't even seem to notice when it happens,but the schnauzer just can't seem to understand whats going on. Does anyone else have experiences like this or is my dog special ? Tongue

This seriously made me laugh out loud! That is hilarious. Although impossible, I WISH you could some how catch him doing that and make a video! My dogs fart but they are always silent. Peanut does it the most. He will very sweetly and innocently being laying on my chest asleep and drop the stinkiest fart bomb on me. I mean, it's out of nowhere. It is so awful...it smells like a grown person did it! He is definitely silent but deadly!

Prissy burps like a grown person. Every single time she is done eating, she runs to wherever I am and lays down either in my lap or beside me and approximately 30 seconds later I hear buuuuurrrp! I always say, "PRISSY!" (in a tone that should make her feel embarrassed and ashamed of herself) and she turns, looks at me and always replies with a big toothy smile. :-)
08-08-2013, 04:54 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
I think that our pets do learn things just from watching what we do and trying to copy it.
My daughter told me about looking in her sock drawer for a pair of socks, and both her kitties were in the sock drawer, ad throwing every thing on there all over vigorously. Them it occurred to her that they looked just like she did when she was trying to find a special item in the drawer and was throwing stuff all over looking for it !
I also talked to a lady that had a parrot, and she said the favorite thing for the bird to do was to make a noise like the electric can opener, and watch the cats come tearing down the stairs to see if it was a can of cat food being opened for them.
08-19-2013, 11:48 AM,
shopgirl Offline

My Yorkie, Peanut, always gives me kisses goodnight. It is so strange! I didn't even teach him that! He has done it pretty much ever since we got him. He always waits on me before he goes to bed. Even if my husband goes to bed before me, he will not go in there and go to sleep. He waits and stays up with me until I go to bed.

He stays right behind me like a little shadow and patiently waits and watches me while I am doing the "before bed bathroom routine", washing face, brushing teeth, etc. He just sits on the bathroom rug looking at me.

When I climb into bed, he waits until I get comfortable and situated then he jumps up there and walks up to my face and licks my cheek a few times then turns around and walks down towards my feet and lays down and goes to sleep. He does it every single night like clock work. I always say in a baby talk voice, "Awe...Peanut, are you giving me sugars night? Is that what your doing? Your a sweet little puppy!" and I pet him and hug him. He is definitely a mama's boy!! :-)
08-19-2013, 02:27 PM,
alycat32 Offline

Threads: 2
I've come to learn that it's not really unusual for a cat to do this, but even if Boba has fresh water in a clean bowl, she still tries to drink out of our glasses of water. When she's had a taste she then sticks her paws in and knocks the cups over.

Also, if we shut the door to a room, about ten minutes later we see these paws sticking underneath the door, trying to pry it open I guess.
09-15-2013, 05:48 AM,
kristyleann Offline

My dog Peaches chases after bees and wasps and bites them and gets stung. Sad I have no idea why she does this and she's done it enough times to know by now that she'll get stung. I don't know if she got stung the first time and decided to get revenge on every bee she could or what? I really wish she'd stop but I don't really know how you get a dog to stop doing that.
09-21-2013, 02:42 PM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
Our beagle discovered how to scratch her own back a variety of ways. Her most favorite way would be to go under our daybed and rub her back against the springs. It was just low enough to reach her perfectly. When we couldn't find her anywhere in the house we knew where to look - she would sometimes be under there for hours scooting back and forth with this big cheese grin on her face.

My coonhound would scare herself if she passed gas. She would look back in terror like someone did something to her, then take off running with her tail between her legs like she was frightened. Also, when she would get frightened, a strip of hair down her back would stand straight up like a mohawk - it looked bizarre.
12-04-2013, 11:18 AM,
lildoge Offline

(08-08-2013, 04:54 AM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: I think that our pets do learn things just from watching what we do and trying to copy it.
My daughter told me about looking in her sock drawer for a pair of socks, and both her kitties were in the sock drawer, ad throwing every thing on there all over vigorously. Them it occurred to her that they looked just like she did when she was trying to find a special item in the drawer and was throwing stuff all over looking for it !
I also talked to a lady that had a parrot, and she said the favorite thing for the bird to do was to make a noise like the electric can opener, and watch the cats come tearing down the stairs to see if it was a can of cat food being opened for them.

Oh my god the parrot. Parrots are terribly clever and if they had thumbs or even arms we might not be the dominant species Smile

My ball python is fairly expressive for a little dude with no limbs, eyelids or eyebrows. If we've been absorbed in a game or something for a while and he's hanging outside his hide looking up from the corner of his tank where he can see me and I can see him for a while.... but we're not playing with him, he'll go stick his head inside one of the hides and sit there, pouting.

He also has his "I pooped and you need to clean it up right now" face, which basically entails him staring irritatedly out of his hide with just his head so that we can see him, and as soon as we notice him, he stares us down for a minute or two before going back inside his hide. smh Smile
12-09-2013, 10:23 AM,
amy005 Offline

Threads: 3
My kitten likes to play with bags and play in my sons toys. She even crawls through the little holes in the toys lol. That is about the strangest thing she has done. We have only had her for a couple months so I'm sure I'll come across some other strange things. I had a cat when I was younger that would take a piece of his cat food his paw and move it into his water dish. He waited until the food got soft and then ate it. It was pretty funny to watch. \ He sometimes ate his cat food dry so I just let him do what he wanted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,016 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,173 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,437 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,175 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,177 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57