LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What breed of cat is good around children
05-10-2016, 05:18 PM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
What breed of cat is good around children
We have what we call Puspins (short for 'pusang pinoy' or Filipino cat) in our country but I've been wondering if being a certain breed had anything to do with its behavior. We've been considering getting a cat to help scare away rats and mice and for that, I suppose we'd need an aggressive cat. At the same time, I want a cat that we can get along with, especially one that's good around kids. I really want my son to enjoy having a pet here at home because it's a good opportunity to teach him how to be a responsible pet owner. What breed would you recommend that would be a good friendly house cat?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2016, 08:16 PM,
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
RE: What breed of cat is good around children
Choosing a cat breed based on breed only is tricky and doesn't guarantee a perfect match so one shouldn't restrict himself to certain breeds. A cat for interaction with kids should readily display affection. Purring is a good sign. Cats should not nip or scratch. Anyway, I would have Abyssinian as my preferred choice. Its an affectionate, loyal and demanding breed and they are also muscular. This is necessary so as to handle the inevitable rigours of playing with children. They have a thick dense shorthaired coats which require very little crushing and rarely need a bath.
06-05-2016, 08:26 PM,
Novelangel Offline

Threads: 4
Pretty much any cat will make a good mouser. If mice are available, a cat will hunt them and it doesn't really make a difference what temperament the animal has, he will try to hunt mice. So the main thing for you to consider is how laid back and easy going the cat is. Children tend to 'maul' cats a lot. They hug too hard, they pull tails and they just basically do everything that annoys the 9 lives out of most cats. But there are cats out there who don't mind when little ones do such things and would even fight to the death to protect that child. So look for a cat who doesn't frighten easily, acts calm no matter what you do, and is not alarmed at the very sight of your child coming at him. Any cat breed can produce such a kitty so all you have to do is look around. If you are allowed to pet the cat in question and interact with him before adopting him, so much the better. A cat who purrs readily and looks happy to have you around is a good choice. On the other hand, a cat who jumps back, grimaces or looks startled is a poor choice. If he runs and hides, or growls when you touch him, then he is not a good idea for a child's pet. Make sure also, that you pick a kitty who is strong and healthy. If his fur looks matted and greasy, that means he is not grooming himself and that's a sign of illness. If his eyes are watering or he's coughing a lot, those are also signs of illness. If he scratches at the same ear a lot, he probably has ear mites and those will irritate him until they are treated and that will make him irritable with your child as well. So... healthy, strong and happy are key. Definitely choose the most laid-back cat you can find.
01-24-2020, 02:21 PM,
donoamarray Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Maine Coon is a great match for the families with children. They are easygoing and gentle in temperament and well-behaved in manners.
05-12-2020, 07:14 AM,
LeonDick Offline
Registered

I have a Persian cat and she is friendly and the most lovable creature. She gets along easily with strangers, although it is concerning sometimes. But she is a doll. And also a great defense against mice. Although I never really had a rat problem in my home, Persian cats are still known to be best at chasing them away. Apart from this, I think the Turkish Angora is also great, my friend got one, mainly for the rat problem at her place. I had her over for a couple of weeks when my friend left town to visit her parents, they’re fun and friendly. That’s when I decided to adopt one for myself.
05-13-2020, 06:01 AM,
Great Vet Offline
Registered

I agree with the user above. I had actually asked a vet office nearby my place if they recommend any specific breed at all. The person at the office was quite knowledgeable and she helped me a lot in this regard. They see pets day in and day out and know the ins and outs. In case you are unaware of any veterinarian clinics nearby, you can look up online and find the vets or animal shelters nearby and they generally are helping in this regard. greatvet.com or vetstreet.com are the ones that come up and also yelp.com provides some good details of clinics nearby.
08-19-2020, 05:17 PM,
DominicWhite Offline
Registered

just try to double check with your vet - doctor. Like he knows really a lot, and has more experience. My vet - doc was super kind and helpful, he expained me what exactly I need to do
09-16-2020, 12:35 AM,
HarryDavidson701L3 Offline

My cat eats silica litter for cats. I wanted to switch to this one, since you don't need to replace it often and it can stay for month. Also it less costly. Now, I don't know what to do
04-23-2022, 10:21 PM,
meoww Offline
Registered

If you wish to bring a child-friendly cat into your family, I recommend reading in the internet about the most friendliest breeds, you will find many articles, just a few examples: thesprucepets.com/affectionate-cat-breeds-4846595 or meowpassion.com/breeds/friendliest-cat-breeds/ Talking to breeders (also asking them about how their kittens are socialized) will also help you understand whether the pet will be a perfect friend for you child. Also, pay attention if you want to have an active or "talkative" cat such as the Siamese, or calm furry balls like the Ragdoll.
05-19-2022, 06:00 PM,
KaithJ Offline
Registered

Savannah cats get along perfectly well with other household pets and children alike, I am a breeder and also breed African Serval so I know what I am talking about. I think Savannah or Serval are the best so far despite their size they have temperaments as good as a well tamed pet dog.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,082 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,674 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,603 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,930 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,896 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,404 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,295 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,340 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,405 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,821 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,523 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,543 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,577 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Declawing Your Cat CatCuddler57 1 3,224 08-25-2016, 11:56 PM
Last Post: rz3300