LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celebrate pet birthdays?
02-19-2013, 01:27 AM,
jowjo5 Offline

Threads: 16
Celebrate pet birthdays?
Do you celebrate your pets birthdays? We have in the past and at times we bake a cake, for us not them. But we do make sure they get a nice fresh bone to munch on.

The kids keep track of it all, they like to wrap the bones too. We have their birthdays written on our calendar just like any other person in our life.

Do you celebrate your pets birthdays? Some people thing we are nuts, goofy..or any other word you can think of that might describe us being over the top!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2013, 03:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2013, 03:09 AM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Celebrate pet birthdays?
I have never celebrated any birthday for my pets. I do remember their birthdays for the purpose of remembering their exact ages. Then again, I only have aquarium pet fish at this moment and there are a lot of them. I won't be able to keep up with all the birthday celebrations if I treat them all fairly. Tongue

Usually people give birthday party to their pets only when they have a limited number of them. In most cases these pets are dogs and cats or other "higher life forms".

Maybe someday when I get a cat or a bird, I will give them a proper birthday party.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-19-2013, 07:38 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
Yes, I definitely celebrate my cats birthday. She is a part of our family so I try to always make her feel special on this day. Unfortunately we never found out her birthday so I celebrate her birthday with my family on the day we received her. I always try to buy her many treats as well as toys that she would enjoy.
She is so precious to me and I hope she truly knows how much we all adore her and love her!
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM,
ChanellG Offline

Threads: 1
I don't think I've ever celebrated a pet's birthday. Then again, I don't think I've known the birthdays of any of my pets. If I had children and they wanted to celebrate a pet's birthday I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's not something I would necessarily do myself as an adult.
02-23-2013, 11:14 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
There is a substitute for the true birthday of the pets if you are unsure of their birthdays. You can always celebrate the date when you got your pets.

Yep, anniversaries for becoming a part of the family. Not that I am doing it for my pets, but rather a suggestion for those who want to celebrate something for their pets but unable to find out the birthdays.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2013, 09:37 AM,
AnnaU93 Offline

Threads: 7
(02-23-2013, 12:32 PM)ChanellG Wrote: I don't think I've ever celebrated a pet's birthday. Then again, I don't think I've known the birthdays of any of my pets. If I had children and they wanted to celebrate a pet's birthday I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's not something I would necessarily do myself as an adult.
I actually have this problem as well. I do not know my cats birthday so we decided to make her birthday on the day we received her (which is working out pretty well).
02-25-2013, 04:44 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
I also celebrate the "adoption day", since I have no idea when my bird was hatched. He's a rescue, and I don't even know how old he is, let alone his birthday. It's easy to remember his adoption day, though, since I brought him home exactly two weeks before my own birthday. I don't make a huge deal out of it, but I usually give him an extra toy to chew on and some extra millet seed to snack on (his favorite treat). I also try to spend a little extra time with him as well.
05-18-2013, 07:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM by trishgl.)
trishgl Offline

Threads: 5
We don't really celebrate it like with a party. Unfortunately I am a practical sort of person and my dog's birthday means going to the vet for her yearly checkup. I do buy her a toy afterwards and prepare a special meal for her when we get home.
05-27-2013, 09:31 PM,
AimeeLou1984 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I've always celebrated my pets birthdays. A lot of people do think it's odd, but to me they are a part of the family. I love spoiling them and making them happy. So I usually buy a lot of treats and give them extra attention on their birthday's. It's also a great chance to celebrate. I think life is all about special occasions and enjoying your time with the people/animals that you love.
05-27-2013, 10:24 PM,
cmdr-apollo Offline

Threads: 2
Since all three of my dogs are rescues, we have no clue what their real birthdays are. Instead, we celebrate their "birthdays" on the day we got them! We don't do much, but us humans eat cupcakes because let's face it - any excuse to eat cupcakes is a good one! We give the dogs extra treats (but fair, equal amounts between all three of them, hehe) and sing Happy Birthday, but it ends up being mostly for our benefit. They probably don't even notice anything is different!
05-28-2013, 01:57 AM,
Kyama3 Offline

Threads: 2
I have always celebrated the birthday of my pets. I think this is mainly because I see my pets as part of the family, and it's also really cute to see how they react when you give them a present, and to record them trying to open it. Of course this only really applies to dogs and cats. I can't really imagine a gerbil trying to open a present! I think it's important though to celebrate a pets birthday, at least for me because like I said, a pet is part of the family to me.
05-31-2013, 08:57 AM,
mariposa Offline

Threads: 8
We have always celebrated our cat's birthday in my family, yes. There's usually a special meal (well, just her favorite wet food most of the time) and my daughter always has to give a present or two.

Then we have the annual photography session to get the birthday picture taken. I guess it boils down to a day of spoiling for a cat who's already pretty much spoiled to the max. :-) But I'm so glad we have all those birthday pictures. That cat's been through a lot for those pictures because my daughter always has to fancy her up... birthday hat, beads, etc. Most of the kitty faces on the birthday pictures look very annoyed. hehe

I like the idea of celebrating the day the pet came into the family if you don't know the actual date of birth!
05-31-2013, 12:06 PM,
amseifer Offline
Registered

When we found my dog Oree and took him to the vet, he said he could tell from his tooth eruption that he was almost exactly six months old. Going back from that day put his birthday in mid-February, so we picked Valentine's Day. In the morning we make a little cake out of peanut butter, applesauce and whole wheat flour and take all the dogs in our family (there's six of them) to the park. We give them a small piece of cake and let them play in the park and the pond, and Oree gets replacements for the balls he's always tearing up.
06-01-2013, 02:45 AM,
ReneLeBeau Offline

I've never celebrated a pet's birthday, but there's some really great ideas here! I picked up my cats directly from the street, so I don't know their birth dates, I have calculated them approximately based on their age when I found them (they were both about a month old). Some people celebrate their pets birthday by making cake and other human treats, that just seems a bit silly to me. I really like the idea about wrapping the presents, my cats would really like to play with the wrappers and the boxes. I would probably buy them some new toys and treats. As a birthday snack, they could get their favorite wet food, maybe some homemade snacks... Maybe even some human food they wouldn't get normally Big Grin I would really like to see my cats with little birthday hats, but they would never allow it... There are some really great ideas out there Big Grin
06-01-2013, 08:04 AM,
Dellygoat Offline

Yes! Every year my dog Kajza gets a birthday cake consisting of bread, liver pate, meatballs, sausage, cheese and mini pancakes. She gets to wear a party hat and sit by the dinner table and eat it - after we sing to her of course! And she has to share the cake with her dad and her aunt, even though she probably wants it to herself really. I know this is really silly as it probably just confuses her, and the only part of it she actually enjoys is the eating of the cake. But really it's more for us than for her, she is our baby and needs to be celebrated! As you as you are aware of the fact that you're putting human feelings and behaviour onto an animal, and the animal doesn't suffer I think it's ok Tongue For example, I would never put a party hat on my other dog Puppy, as I know she hates it and gets really uncomfortable. But since I can read my dog Kajza well, I know that a hat doesn't bother her and she's just 100% focused on the cake. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Therapy For Your Mental Health Hales 4 1,246 12-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: kaming
  Does your pet eat veggies ? Happyflowerlady 19 8,016 06-25-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Can your pet open doors? HK86 30 11,062 06-25-2022, 05:41 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Do you care about your pet more than you love other humans? Shihtzufan 14 5,624 10-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Albana
  Is eating grass normal or abnormal for your pet ?? Happyflowerlady 30 11,581 02-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Is it cruel to make your pet wear clothes? Melody_Of_Rain 52 37,173 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Are you a pet owner or a pet parent? maxen57 7 3,442 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Matt Robinson
  Spurned by a pet remnant 6 3,482 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  General Pet Forum Rules Thor 0 11,975 11-21-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Thor
  Pet Store Business Greed FISHERMAN 0 1,719 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: FISHERMAN
  Feeding habits and pet interaction remnant 2 2,200 08-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  Strange things your pet is attracted to TreeClimber 32 13,437 08-05-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kfander
  pet relocation parulverman 1 2,080 07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: sonamjain
  Do you detox your pet? remnant 2 2,175 06-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Levying tax on pet owners Corzhens 1 2,177 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57