LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What types of pets have you had? And what would you like to have?
07-20-2014, 12:22 AM,
Treeca86 Offline

Threads: 2
I've had many many pets since I was a child. I've had dogs and cats mostly. Odd pets have been birds, duck, ferrets, lizards, turtles, frogs, fish, rats, mice, guinea pigs, and rabbits.
Pets I'd like to have are a hairless rat again, a couple of salt water tank, one with a handfish, the other with a dogface pufferfish, and a Capuchin monkey(I love monkeys, now only if monkeys weren't messy and could be potty trained! Haha!)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2014, 12:25 AM,
Amesii Offline

Threads: 1
RE: What types of pets have you had? And what would you like to have?
I currently just have cats but I grew up with so many pets. The first pets I had were hamsters. I had them for a while and they would breed with each other so we always had a few at a time. It was fun taking care of them and watch the babies grow up. I remember writing down when their eyes started opening, etc. I have also had a rabbit, parakeets, guinea pigs and ferrets. Ferrets were really fun. It was like having a permanent kitten. They are always so playful. They were hard to take care of and had a musky smell so I wouldn't get any again. I would still like to have a dog someday but I am waiting for the right time in my life. I would like to have a house and a big yard for him to play and run around in. I am interested in Shiba Inus but we'll see what happens.
07-25-2014, 12:41 PM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
When I was a little girl, I wanted a pet monkey more than anything ! Well, maybe anything, except for my very own Shetland Pony. I really, really wanted a Shetland Pony. Some people down the road had a little pure white one with a huge mane and tail, and to me he was just the prettiest pony in the whole world.
But, back to the monkey....
My mom always went to the pet store because she had tropical fish and she loved to look at the new ones that came in, and maybe buy some for her fish tanks. while she looked at fish, I would always be back in the part where they kept the birds, snakes and monkeys. I loved to watch the parrots and try to get them to talk to me (and sometimes they would do that), but most of all , I loved to watch the monkeys.
Back in the days when I was growing up, monkeys were often sold in pet stores; and they were even advertised for under $20 on the back covers of my comic books. The ones on there were the tiny squirrel monkeys, and the pictures made them look so cute. I wonder now, how a mail order monkey would have been shipped, and whether people actually got them alive when they did order them.

But, my mother was not about to let me have a monkey, no matter how cheap they were, so how they were actually shipped to you remained a moot point.
07-27-2014, 09:11 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
I have had a large variety of pets over my lifetime. The most unusual was a opossum that slept in my bottom drawer. I was in high school when I had him. Unfortunately, my mother (who did not know I had him!) discovered him one day while I was at school and she opened his drawer to put some laundry away. He hissed at her and that night he returned to the wild. I have also had a variety of dogs and cats, mice, guinea pigs, rats, snakes, lizards of several varieties, several different kinds of aquariums, I raised bettas at one time, several different kind of birds and a few other creatures. I loved them all and enjoyed caring for them. My cats and dogs all lived very long, healthy lives.
08-11-2014, 04:09 AM,
evelynmcgregor Offline

Threads: 7
I would love to have sugar gliders. A number of years ago I had a friend who had two of these darling little things. I used to go over to hold them and play with them. She did have to be careful because occasionally, one would escape it's cage and she would hear it bumbling around the house in the dark. It would take her several days to track the little creature down,, they glide really fast.
08-14-2014, 09:14 AM,
Natawill269 Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I have had a few dogs as a child. Don't know what exactly happened to them. My sons (thanks to their dad) had a iguana named "Tupac". They were 7 and 9 years old at the time and didn't know what to do with the poor icky thing. His tail was broken twice. That thing creeped my out, I couldn't stand to look at it. One day before school, my boys discovered the reptile had died. I think the heat lamp stopped working. We put him in a gold jewelry box and buried in mom's yard. I now have Benji, a 2yr old Maltese mix.
08-15-2014, 07:51 AM,
Happyflowerlady Offline

Threads: 104
One kind of unusual pet that I would really love to have is a miniature horse ! They are small enough to carry around when they are foals, and the smallest ones only grow a little over two feet tall at the withers. Most are closer to three feet when they are full grown, and they have a very gentle and loving personality.
When I was younger, we lived out in the country, I had a horse and got ponies for the kids to ride, and we often would pack a lunch, and spend most of the day out riding together on the trails.
I really miss having a horse, but now I live in town and could not take care of a horse if I did have one. However, the little miniature horses can easily live in the back yard, and it would not be any harder to care for one of those than it would to have a large breed of dog.
You can even get tiny little carts for them to pull, and I have seen them at horse shows, enthusiastically pulling their little carriage around in the ring.
I doubt that I would ever have one; but it is something that I often think about doing.
11-11-2015, 06:33 AM,
AnimalObsessedGirl Offline
Registered

I have owned rats, cats, dogs, horse, ferret, fish, hamsters. I did rescue a baby squirrel, had to keep him for about a month or two cause it was injured but I thought of him as a pet. but he was not domesticated so had to let him be free after he got better. I do want to own a serval cat, but even they have some issues with owning them, they spray everywhere. and its pointless to clean the spray cause they'll just go back to spraying that spot. I do want to own a skunk (my uncle had one and it was very friendly), a sugar glider, a cheetah and so many more different animals. when I get older I hope to start up a rescue/sanctuary for exotic animals that people cant look after. I am very compassionate about animals of all types. (I tried asking my mom about getting me a Madagascar hissing cockroach, but she said no of course and my house renter would have freaked.)

thanks for reading, I believe that all animals have rights to live and we humans are their voice in this world since they don't have a voice to tell us humans what they need. don't neglect your pets and treat them like your family. have a great day pet owners. HeartHeartHeart
11-13-2015, 02:58 AM,
CRM31 Offline

I've had cats (Zophy, Zozo, Zeke, Daisy, Daisy's five kittens until they found new homes), a Scottie dog (although he went to live with my grandparents when my sister was born as he got jealous!), a rabbit, sea monkeys, various things I captured as a child (sorry snails), a Syrian hamster and a Dwarf hamster. I've loved all of them but I'd reallly, really like to have a horse one day! I've ridden since I was 6 and I don't know how it started, I just got bitten by the horse riding bug... I think I'd like a chinchilla too but their lifespan is so long for a "cage" pet - my cats and rabbit have roamed free at least part of every day but I don't know how safe this would be for a chinchilla.
11-21-2015, 10:12 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

I've had three rabbits and two dogs. Sadly, the bunnies are not around anymore (miss them dearly), but the doggies are alive and kicking. I'm thankful every day for them. They do wonders for my depression. Just seeing the joy in their eyes when I come home makes everything better. Dogs are truly earth angels.

I would love to have a rabbit once again, but I'm worried that it will come down with some deadly disease Sad A chinchilla would be amazing, too. I used too want to live with gerbils, but their lives are short, and I wouldn't be able to deal with heartbreak so soon.
11-24-2015, 09:24 AM,
lexinonomous Offline

I have had so many pets over the years, that I have to really sit down and think about it. Growing up, my grandmother was always letting me get random pets that I begged and pleaded for. I was a spoiled little thing- especially while I was living with her. I have had dogs, goats, pigs, ducks, hamsters, rats, chameleons, snakes, fish, frogs, and cats. I'm sure there are some more animals in that list, but I just can't seem to remember them.

One animal that I would love to have is a ferret. I have never had my own ferret, but I know of a few people that have. They are cute little creatures that are full of fun. I adore their personalities. They are unique in their own way.
11-30-2015, 08:03 PM,
Elfprincess Offline

(11-24-2015, 09:24 AM)lexinonomous Wrote: I have had so many pets over the years, that I have to really sit down and think about it. Growing up, my grandmother was always letting me get random pets that I begged and pleaded for. I was a spoiled little thing- especially while I was living with her. I have had dogs, goats, pigs, ducks, hamsters, rats, chameleons, snakes, fish, frogs, and cats. I'm sure there are some more animals in that list, but I just can't seem to remember them.

One animal that I would love to have is a ferret. I have never had my own ferret, but I know of a few people that have. They are cute little creatures that are full of fun. I adore their personalities. They are unique in their own way.

Whoa, I envy you for having such a grandmother! My parents have always been extremely cautious in regards to me having pets. Of course they were right, because a lot of kids are abusive toward their animals, and they don't even know that it's not a good idea to spin a rabbit on a a carousel (yeah, I've seen it happen). I wish that as a young teenager I was allowed to have more animals, though.
It's sort of sad that you might have forgotten some of your pets...
Ferrets are awesome, but they have this weirdass smell that not everybody can take.
12-07-2015, 07:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 07:15 AM by legeipslt.)
legeipslt Offline

When I was a small child I wanted a dog more than anything in the whole world, but my grandmother lived with us and she was allergic to all kids of pet hair. Interestingly enough, when she was raising my Mom, my Mom loved German Shepherd dogs and was allowed to have them. In all the years she lived at home she had six German Shepherds and named them all Prince. Even the females. No, my Mom didn't have six dogs all at once, just one at a time!

My parents allowed me to have one goldfish in a bowl, but I didn't consider that a good pet. Rofl

When I grew up and was on my own, I have been the proud human to a number of different kinds of pets as an adult. I raised giant green iguanas, African grey parrots, cockatiels and parakeets, many dog breeds including rescues and purebreds, cats, forest hinge-back tortoises, hamsters, gerbils, and tropical freshwater fish in 55 gallon aquarium tanks.

At one time I had quite a zoo in my large apartment. Now I have two Chihuahua's -- both are rescues. I found Chico at a puppy mill and took him home at five weeks of age. He turned ten in October. Coco was given to me by a friend who knew a woman with several children. They were going to move to a shelter, because the house was being foreclosed on, and the shelter didn't permit animals. He was about a year and a half old, and is now nine.

I want a pony! But, the area I live in is not a horse property area, and I couldn't board my pony and be with it as often as I like, because I don't drive. I had a good friend who owned several horses and kept them on her property, so I had a chance to be with them a lot. She also boarded a few others at a stable nearby, and we would visit them and ride them around the track.
04-25-2016, 02:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2016, 02:31 AM by remnant.)
remnant Offline

Threads: 72
The pets I have had so far are mostly limited to dogs and cats. When I was young, I used to keep bunnies but at some point, I stopped. They were very sedative pets on my mind though I kept them for economic purposes. I would like to keep doves as pets. Anyone with experience with doves? There is also the ilama which resembles a small cow and I would love to keep them as pets in future.

The pets I have kept in the past are mostly limited to cats and dogs. I also used to keep bunnies when I was young though I kept them for economic purposes. They had a very sedative effect on my mind. There was a period I was infatuated with doves and they still retain a soft spot in my heart. I would also love to keep the ilama, a small animal that resembles a cow.
05-10-2016, 04:24 PM,
maxen57 Offline

Threads: 15
I've had dogs, cats, a hamster and a rabbit. The other dogs were puppies back then when I was a child. I have never had the chance to see them growing because my parents gave them away. The rabbit and hamster were also gifts to me by friends on my birthday but I also had to give them away because my parents constantly threaten me. My Clio is the first pet that I had the chance to see grow up and also why some people would say why I'm spoiling her so much.
07-01-2016, 03:43 PM,
Kristenfields Offline
Registered

Tongue  RE: What types of pets have you had? And what would you like to have?
I've had horses, pigs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc. But I have always wanted a pet monkey! They are just so cute! And a tiger and a lion! I would just love to be able to take care of them all!
09-16-2016, 08:41 PM,
Friendly Ferret Offline
Registered

I don't have many pets, I only have my ferret Frida and I am planning to get another one, but I also have a dog. Big Grin I would love to have a cat and a chinchilla, but I think that is not so good idea due to my ferret Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caring for older pets remnant 4 2,457 12-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Tarilok
  Interesting mammal pets remnant 1 2,188 01-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  How hard is it to add to your family of pets? jowjo5 8 4,576 05-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Share the photos and videos of your pets here! Thor 5 4,812 05-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Last Post: judyd1
  New pets remnant 1 2,075 05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Alpacas as Pets dziomek 5 3,480 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Star Storm Proofing Larger Pets 4sweed 0 1,724 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Last Post: 4sweed
  Types of Hamsters? PMom 3 2,627 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Last Post: amberra824
  Alpacas, are they good pets? Pocs 2 2,394 08-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Pocs