Did you adopt them from shelters?
Did you get them from friends?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2012, 07:26 AM,
bw Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Where did you get your pets?
All my dogs and cats my whole adult life have been rescues of one sort or another. Shelters, streets and in the case of the dog we have now we took him in when he was abandoned. His "loving" family just moved away and left him.
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
(04-07-2012, 07:26 AM)bw Wrote: All my dogs and cats my whole adult life have been rescues of one sort or another. Shelters, streets and in the case of the dog we have now we took him in when he was abandoned. His "loving" family just moved away and left him.

Were they all free?

The abandoned one's family might want to get ride of him a while ago but you know dogs would just find their way home. So they probably figured moving was their chance to get ride of him. Poor fellow might have thought his family would be back and was waiting for them.
04-07-2012, 04:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM by Karenskatz.)
Karenskatz Offline

I'm like BW; most of my cats have been rescues. My first was from the Humane Society, and it took quite a few visits to find the perfect first cat. He was a four month old kitten, and I realised later what a mistake that was. He was absolutly adorable, but that energy level! I later realised that he needed a companion for company. He thought he was the king of the universe, so I thought a female would be no threat to his autonomy, and took in a female that had showed up at a friend's house. She put him in his place and settled in as power behind the throne. He died suddenly and unexpectedly at 6 and she seemed lonely so I got her a new boyfriend from the humane Soc. They spent the next twelve years arguing who was top cat. She died at 19. I had taken in a teenage mother with a litter of four from the alley, and I had found homes for the kittens and decided to keep her. He died at 16 and I decided to keep a 15 year old cat I'd been trying to find a home for. They eventually agreed to ignore each other. Then a Maine Coon type showed up in my yard and invited himself in. After i couldn't find the owners I tried adopting him out, and ended up keeping him. He got along great with the girls, and they ignored him. The old girl died at 18 and a half, and I decided to keep a female I had taken from a rescue up north to find a home for. I thought she would be the perfect therapy pet. I had been doing TNR in the yard as well as re-homing strays, and a feral showed up acting like he had once been a pet. Over a spring and summer he remembered what being a housecat was like, and I took him in to find him a home. He got out of the room I had him in and he and the Maine Coon hit it off like long lost buddies, so I couldn't split them up. So that's how i currently have four cats; eight over all, two from the humane soc, one from a want ad, one from another rescue, and the rest showed up on their own.
04-08-2012, 12:33 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

(04-07-2012, 04:02 PM)Karenskatz Wrote: and the rest showed up on their own.

Do you mean they just show up at your door?

Once I had a cat came into my home. I could have had the cat if I simply close the door lol. I left the door open and showed the guest the way out. Silly kitty, so easy to be kidnapped.
04-08-2012, 04:08 PM,
Karenskatz Offline

"Silly kitty, so easy to be kidnapped." Another good reason to keep your cats inside. I didn't realise when I bought the place that it was Stray-cat Central. It also helps that I have been puting out food for a small group of feral cats. All the poor strays that get lost or dumped out seem to find their way here looking for a meal. If they come and go occationally, I ask around to see if anyone knows where they live. I have occationally put an elastic collar on them with a note attached to it stating, "If this is your cat call me at... If I don't hear from you, I'm finding them a new home." If they're still wearing the note a week later (which is usually the case), I then go into rescue mode. This includes a trip to the vet to scan them for a chip. It's gotten to the point where when I walk through the door with a new cat, they just automaticaly hand me the scanner. If there's no chip (I've only had three that were) then I let Animal Control know what I have, run found ads in the paper, post notices at local vets and pet stores and around the neighborhood, and more recently, post a notice on Craig's List. If they are kittens from a feral colony, or a pregnant or nursing mother cat with kittens shows up, I can take them to the Hunane Society when they're old enough. Usually, I end up having to find a home for the cat. And a few have talked me into keeping them.
04-09-2012, 12:52 AM,
Monica9975 Offline

Threads: 8
I got my dog pet from my parents,and my parents got it from the animal market seller,and the seller got it from someone who foster it lol.I really miss my dog,but he is not beside me.
04-12-2012, 08:22 AM,
bw Offline

he abandoned one's family might want to get ride of him a while ago but you know dogs would just find their way home. So they probably figured moving was their chance to get ride of him. Poor fellow might have thought his family would be back and was waiting for them.

He was left in their apartment for 3 days with no food and the lid was down on the toilet. On the third day they back for something, not the dog. I just told them, "Give me the dog!" and they did. I went in the apartment is how I know there was no food dish around and no visible source of water, unless he figured out how to lift the toilet seat with his nose and get his head in. He may have as he is pretty smart. They had him for two years. I never saw him outside their apartment. He was not house trained and did not know how to play. We had him for 6 months before we knew he had a voice.
04-12-2012, 08:27 AM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

(04-12-2012, 08:22 AM)bw Wrote: He was left in their apartment for 3 days with no food and the lid was down on the toilet. On the third day they back for something, not the dog. I just told them, "Give me the dog!" and they did. I went in the apartment is how I know there was no food dish around and no visible source of water, unless he figured out how to lift the toilet seat with his nose and get his head in. He may have as he is pretty smart. They had him for two years. I never saw him outside their apartment. He was not house trained and did not know how to play. We had him for 6 months before we knew he had a voice.

Sound like they try to left him for dead? Was the apartment door locked?
06-09-2012, 04:23 AM,
twinsmommy Offline

Threads: 0
My cat was a stray. Mama had her kittens outside my door on the porch so we put out a blanket in the corner for her. She eventually moved her kittens elsewhere but this little one kept making his way up to our door, so we decided to keep him.
06-09-2012, 08:55 AM,
jenb128 Offline

Threads: 3
My cat used to by my in-laws' cat. They moved out of state and didn't want to drag him across the country, so now he's ours. He's been with us for over ten years, so it seems like he was always our kitty. My mother-in-law actually adopted him from a Burger King parking lot! She saw a kitten running around and gave him a piece of sausage, and then he jumped in her car when she got in.

My cockatiel came from a pet store, but he's a rescue (the owners of that particular store are involved in bird rescue, and almost always have rescues up for adoption). I went to check out the birds, saw the little bald one, and just fell in love. I asked to see him, and he immediately ran up to my shoulder and started preening my hair. Yeah, he went home with me about a half hour later.
06-10-2012, 10:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM by tajnz.)
tajnz Offline

Threads: 2
My family adopted of of our dogs through our local RSPCA. We really wanted to give a dog swho had no family a loving safe home.Smile We've also taken care of lost animals while searching for their owners.
06-10-2012, 03:45 PM,
Flexin Offline

My sister noticed a sign on the side of the road and stopped in. She picked up a cat which my wife and I ended up with.

James
06-10-2012, 03:51 PM,
Fishbone Offline

Threads: 28
Well I apparently have a small zoo, and they came from everywhere. Most of the snakes I got directly from private breeders, some for a considerable price, and could be qualified as investments. The cats are all rescues, or from shelters, or abandoned. All of my lizards are rescues of one form or another as well.
06-10-2012, 05:23 PM,
Iconic Offline
Registered

My birds come from all around the place. Many I have bread myself, but one I found she was flying out around in the open, caught her and put her in the aviary. No one claimed her, and now she is my best breeder. Smile Other ones I got from a breeder, my silver one I got from my uncle.
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM,
ArmyOfDreams Offline

Threads: 9
My lizard is an adoption, not really a rescue, although I got her for free. One of our cats used to be a stray, she was discovered hunting down robins and sparrows in a family member's back yard; surprising because she looks to be a purebred Russian Blue, although of course we don't have papers to prove it, haha. The other two cats are gray tabby adoptions; one from the Humane Society and one from a family friend.
06-12-2012, 01:15 PM,
TreeClimber Offline

Threads: 37
I have had many pets in the past but I only have one now. I got my dog as a gift from my youngest nieces. My dog of 13+ years had died. They picked out Misha for me as a surprise. They got her for me to make me feel better.
06-14-2012, 01:10 AM,
amanda509 Offline

Threads: 56
my cat came from a barn, my dog is from a breeder, my horse was from a dealer, my chameleon is from flchams and my geckos are from petco :p
06-14-2012, 08:30 PM,
Victor Leigh Offline

Threads: 19
I bought some, got some and picked up several.

Pure breds like the Bangkeaw, the Shih Tzu and the Persian had to be bought. I haven't seen anyone giving away pedigreed cats and dogs for free yet. Some were given to me when their owners had to move somewhere far away where they couldn't take their pets along with them. The ones I picked up are usually the poor kittens abandoned at the wet market.
06-16-2012, 05:41 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
When I was a kid, we purchased our Shih Tzu at PJ's Pet Centre. I never got a pet since. My fiancee and I moved in together and brought her two cats with her. Both cats are rescue: Max, who is nine years old, was adopted from a rescue center. The other guy, Batman, 4, was lying in a box with a bunch of free kittens and my fiancee picked him up.
06-17-2012, 03:31 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
The first pet I purchased was a little budgie from Woolworths a long time ago. We went on to buying more budgies, then a couple cockatiels from a pet store, then a Quaker and an Eclectus parrot from breeders. The first cat was one from a garage of "free kittens" my husband brought home to me for our anniversary. We bought another kitten, very sickly, from a pet store. She died early of kidney failure. We took in a stray cat that was hanging around eating bread we'd throw out for the birds. And we purchased both of our Bengal and Tonkinese cats from breeders. We also adopted a DSH from a local no-kill shelter.
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM,
Rphoenix Offline

Threads: 2
My current dog is a stray I practically claimed ownership to. Usually though, like my pet rabbit, I buy them at a pet store. We have an area here that's literally pet stores left to right, so it's the best place to get all kinds of pets.
07-05-2012, 05:35 AM,
Andrew Offline

Threads: 1
I bought my dog from a breeder, to ensure that there a slim-no chance of genetic issues, since I wanted a pure-bred.
07-11-2012, 06:44 AM,
pugskjj Offline

Threads: 19
Most of my pets are rescues or gotten off of Craigslisters from people who are "too busy" or "too allergic" or "can't find a pet friendly home," can you tell I am a bit upset with those excuses?

I got my oldest pup, Kotton, from a breeder. That was the first time I have ever bought a puppy from a breeder...and the best purchase period!! I couldn't get through a day without her.

The other two pups were rescues as puppies and they are my problem children but I would never give them up!! Heart
07-17-2012, 03:39 AM,
ohiotom76 Offline

Threads: 5
My oldest dog, coonhound mix, I got from the pound.

Our second dog, a terrier mix, we got from a bad home - she had been hit by a car and the owners didn't want her anymore.

Then our third dog, a beagle, followed us home late one night a couple days before christmas. She must have followed the tire tracks in the snow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to take good care of heeler pets Howard simth 8 3,717 06-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: feezi
  Pets as stress relievers Corzhens 8 3,299 11-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
  Pets grooming & nutrition advice for teacup puppies, white German shepherd & more harrysimon 0 679 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Last Post: harrysimon
  Camping and hiking with your pets? gi_joy 2 2,647 09-12-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  7 Ways Pets Can Help With Mental Health Issues Hales 0 1,048 03-07-2020, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Hales
  What do veterinarians do with the dead pets? Ram 19 35,780 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gemma23426
  Cases of dangerous pets remnant 6 3,662 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Rayonel25
  The challenges of keeping turtles as pets remnant 2 2,409 08-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Vicioius pets Corzhens 3 2,546 07-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Do pets know they are your favorite? Corzhens 3 2,618 07-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Rivalry in pets remnant 4 2,832 06-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Crippled pets remnant 2 2,575 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Corzhens
  Pets undergo torture remnant 2 2,342 06-21-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  What do you do with extra pets? remnant 1 2,028 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
Exclamation Do you think people who abandon their pets should be fined? Ram 11 8,508 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Last Post: remnant