LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's in charge? You or the cat?
07-01-2012, 05:40 AM,
laurasav Offline

Threads: 28
Who's in charge? You or the cat?
Purplecapricorn posted a funny photo of a cat giving his regal stare, lying on the master bed with this caption: "I don't care if you're both in the mood, you can roll around on the floor like the lesser species you are. It's my bed and I want a nap."

It reminded me of how I allow myself to be manipulated by my cats. If I'm sitting on the couch and get up to grab a drink or do anything quickly during a commercial break, I often will find one of the cats sitting in the exact spot I just vacated. I won't move them because I feel it's rude. They're family members and they just claimed their seat when I left. I have to choose another spot now.

My husband thinks it's ridiculous to allow an animal to dictate their will over a human. He'll move them off of any chair or couch when he comes to sit down. It doesn't matter if they've been on the chair for hours. If he wants to sit down, they have to go! It's the same way in bed. If they're in his way in bed, out they go!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM,
letusbefree Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Who's in charge? You or the cat?
Interesting question! Whenever I see my cat on the couch or on a chair, I always just try to sit down with her (because I am desperate for her affection), but usually when I do, she is the one to get down and out of the way, even if there's plenty of room for the both of us! She is not fond of sharing.

It's funny, because my dad's dogs always sit on their couch, and when my dad and stepmom are going to sit down to watch television, they always ask the dogs to move, as though the dogs know what they're talking about. They'll be like, "Come on, Molly, I want to sit there." Needless to say, they usually end up pushing them out of the way. xD
07-03-2012, 04:31 PM,
Fishbone Offline

As the one who has to roll around on the floor with miss p. capricorn, I shall say you have asked the question wrong. It's not us or the cat, it is "which cat is in charge". I am pretty sure it's the 14 year old maine coon.
07-04-2012, 02:46 AM,
laurasav Offline

Fishbone, that cracks me up! ;-) But you are right - there is always a dominant cat in a multi-cat household. For us, it's the teensy weenie 8 lb Tonkinese. The only one he absolutely cannot dominate is my husband, who strongly dislikes this particular cat!

befree, our cats usually can share a close space on the furniture. Sometimes they're like your cat though and will move if I sit down next to them. My Bengal will not sit next to my husband no matter how hard he tries to coax her. It's hard to figure her out because she will seek him for petting her on the floor by his legs, but she refuses to ever sit near him on the couch. She will only sit by me, but it can take an extremely long time to get her to do so, unless it's cold, then she likes curling up beside me. The Tonk wants in my lap at all times. The DSH wants to sit by me & get petted, but he's almost given up trying since as soon as the Tonk sees him by me, he gets attacked. The DSH is now pretty much the husband's cat. The Tonk knows not to mess with the others around the hubby!
07-05-2012, 06:36 AM,
Andrew Offline

Threads: 1
My cat is definitely in charge! He's completely spoiled and gets everything he wants. I think that's just how cats are though, they are nowhere near as submissive as dogs are.
07-06-2012, 02:55 AM,
writer811 Offline

Threads: 10
In my experience, cats always sort of assume that they are in charge and I don't believe that I've ever seen a cat who didn't think itself dominate over it's owners. You can see evidence of it's assumed superiority in it's behaviors. For example, when a cat rubs against you it's leaving it's own unique scent and pheremones on you so other animals know that you belong to it. Also, they feel that you aren't able to care for yourself when they bring you dead animals (food) so they must think themselves more competent than you! Another good way to tell if they are dominate over you is to check their litter box. Cats who don't bury their feces are basically advertising that there's nothing in the area that can take them on (Cats bury feces to avoid predators and to not challenge more dominate cats).
07-06-2012, 04:20 AM,
laurasav Offline

Andrew, you're right about cats not being anything like a submissive dog! I grew up with dogs, but have only had cats since I've been married. What a vast difference in the two species! I love cats though - so regal and self-assured! :-)

writer, I especially found the feces burying very interesting in your comments. In my first 3-cat household, the little calico would bury the 2 male cats "business." She was a good little housekeeper I always thought. The 2 males were always battling for dominance though.

In this current 3-cat household, there's at least one of them that doesn't bother to bury their "stuff"! We have 1 female & 2 males again, but the female is definitely not interested in "keeping house!" She is often kept in a separate room with her own litter. Sometimes she buries it, sometimes she doesn't. I think it's the same with the boys. The male Tonkinese cat is most definitely, without a doubt, the dominant cat in this house though.
07-09-2012, 03:07 AM,
purplecapricorn Offline

Threads: 2
Is always a race with our two male cats to see who can be the first to use the litter box when its just cleaned. Sometimes I think they don't even have to actually do anything but one always has to be the first to mark it!
07-10-2012, 05:33 AM,
laurasav Offline

Yes, I think marking territory is very important to cats! I've noticed with our current cats, it's the female Bengal & the male Tonk that battle for territory. The DSH is strange - he won't mark anything that I can tell, though he outweighs the others by 8-12 lbs and is a huge cat, complete with claws! The hubby says he's a lover, not a fighter. He is always very upset & concerned when the pure breds are going at it, fighting. Whatever my Bengal marks with her cheeks or paws, the Tonk comes along & marks it with his own scent, having to really stretch to reach her much more higher height! Wherever she sits or lays, he makes her move, sniffs deeply at her scent she's left behind, then plants himself in her vacated spot for a good long while. Such a brat!
07-11-2012, 04:43 AM,
andrew320 Offline

Threads: 6
From 7 a.m. to midnight, we are in charge. However, when it comes to bedtime, the cats are in charge because they take up the entire bed or they play around at night making a lot of noise. Plus, these guys don't do much to be in charge or not.
07-12-2012, 12:08 AM,
laurasav Offline

You're lucky, andrew, that you can be in charge during all those hours of the day! I always hear cats are mostly nocturnal and do their playing and romping at night, but it's very rare that our own cats stay up at night. They go to sleep when we do. They'll stay downstairs with us until we go up to bed. Then they all find their spots to sleep away the night with us. The two bigger cats sleep out in the sitting room of our master suite, while the tiny Tonk sleeps in bed by me.
07-18-2012, 04:45 PM,
mora2000 Offline

Threads: 9
It's always the cats first. If you don't give them their mourning attention, they'll turn their back on you the rest of the day. You go over to see if you can cheer them up, and they hiss and bat your hand away Smile
Crazy horse person with other animals!

07-19-2012, 06:33 AM,
ACSAPA Offline

Threads: 17
I don't think anyone can be in charge of a cat because they refuse to see you as their master. All you can do is take good care of them and treat them like extra special VIP's (or VIC's) and maybe they'll go easy on you when they take over the world.
07-19-2012, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM by Laura.)
Laura Offline

Threads: 10
I visited my mother this weekend. At 5 in the morning, the cat came tapping at my door. I didn't move from my bed because I am the boss and the cat will wait until the morning if he wants to have more food.

6 minutes later I was in the kitchen serving food to that damned cat. I could see in his eyes he knew who's the real boss.

Cats are in charge, we should just accept that Wink
07-20-2012, 05:28 AM,
laurasav Offline

mora, you have very sensitive and spoiled cats that hold onto their grudges! LOL!

ACSAPA, that cracked me up - "maybe they'll go easy on you when they take over the world." Boy, if that ever happens, I sure hope my cats put in a good word for me so I am spared from any nastiness! haha

Laura, I literally laughed out loud at your comment of TRYING to be the "boss" of mom's cat! HA! No, he sure showed YOU who the boss is! LOL! Yep, cats rule - literally!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post photos and videos of your cat(s) here! Thor 47 28,087 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  What breed of cat is good around children maxen57 9 5,341 05-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: KaithJ
  Does your cat shed hair excessively? footballtim 11 8,674 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: hwillson
  Does your cat talk to you? Does it respond to its name? NicholasWatson 2 1,262 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: AdrianLewis
  What interesting things has your cat destroyed kfander 19 11,606 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: HemmyngsKylee
  Interesting Cat Scratching posts Shihtzufan 3 2,930 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM
  Does your cat respond when you call their name? BobCat 31 22,897 02-19-2021, 05:36 PM
  Does your cat sleep in bed with you? niightwind 15 10,406 02-19-2021, 05:24 PM
  Brushing a Cat kfander 8 5,297 02-19-2021, 05:23 PM
  How Many Times a Day Do You Feed Your Cat and What Brand? Bloomsie 11 7,343 11-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Last Post: EmmaWilliam
Question Water Fountain vs. Water Dish for cat? mariposa 24 31,408 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
Last Post: HarryDavidson701L3
  DIY Cat Litter ACSAPA 4 6,823 10-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Loro
  Cat Longevity kfander 2 4,523 08-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Last Post: rz3300
  My cat is overweight krystianna 9 6,545 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Cat cafe - are you for or against? Elfprincess 11 8,579 08-26-2016, 03:05 AM
Last Post: remnant