LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is my fish dying?
05-22-2012, 03:07 PM,
rwzheng1997 Offline

Threads: 6
Why is my fish dying?
I have a 3-4 week tank that had the proper amount of starting bacteria added. I'm pretty sure the tank should be at least partially cycled. I have a small shubunkin goldfish (1.5 in), and a comet. The first comet died in 3 days because of some kind of disease. I am to blame for that, because i did not read carefully, and didn't cycle the tank before I bought the fish (the shubunkin is still alive). Cf2 However, what startled me is, the shubunkin started developing these white dots, and now its tail is getting all shredded on the tips. I added coppersafe, (I only added it once), and its getting worse and worse.
The most startling thing is, the pet store gave me a replacement for the comet. That new comet died in 6 hours. I don't think that is due to any disease or ammonia. The two goldfish stayed side by side for hours (seemed to like each other).

My questions are: What is causing my fish to die? How can I stop it? I really really don't want my shubunkin to die, so is there anyway I can stop it? My comet goldfish did not have a mark on it. It was pretty lively after I put it in, and then detoriated quickly. It had no white spots, no inflamed gills, nothing. I removed it from the tank today.Help

BY THE WAY, my pet store is PETCO, and they overstock their tanks like CRAZY. there were like some 200 0.8in comets in a 50 gallon tank. All their other fish (like shubunkins, tetras, gouramis, etc.) are all crowded into groups of 5-20 in 3-4 gallon tanks. I discarded the water that the store gave me, and used only my own water.

ARGH what am i doing wrong??? BangheadBangheadBangheadBanghead
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2012, 03:38 PM,
Thor Offline
Administrator

Threads: 111
RE: Why is my fish dying?
What "start bacteria" did you use? We asked that one before in your previous threads, and we didn't get the answer.

As I recall, your tank is undersized for even one goldfish. On the top of that, it is uncycled.
You shouldn't have had the replacement fish to make it two again after you lost your first one.

Your new replacement fish died in 6 hours, it can only be one thing - shock.
How did you introduce it into your tank?
New fish can't get used to your new water right away. If you dump it in, it dies quickly. Because the new water has different temperature, PH, hardness, etc.

This article talked about the most common reasons for fish dying quickly after sold. One of them is "shock", and there is solution to avoid shock in the article which is the proper way to introduce a new fish into the tank.
Reasons Behind Why Average Fish Die in 3 Weeks After Sold.

I would have stayed away from CopperSafe. There is nothing safe about CopperSafe. It's heavy metal. It is really hard on fish. The tanks had CopperSafe in it would never be safe for certain species of fish who are sensitive to heavy metal.
In fact, you shouldn't jump into conclusion and use medication before you can be sure what was wrong with the fish.

If you can share a clear photo of your sick fish, we might be able to identify the disease or parasite if there is any. Smile

Pet stores like Petsmart and PETCO will always overstock their fish tanks. It is not economical for them to have only a few fish in each tank. Their fish come and go quickly, so they are not worried about a few fish dying each day. They never planned to keep the same fish for more than a few weeks tops. Don't learn from them if you plan to keep fish properly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-24-2012, 03:02 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
A picture might help better identify the disease if there is any disease at all.

From your earlier threads, we learned your tank is too small for your fish. As well as no filter at first, then the new filter was just in and certainly it was not cycled.

When we identify a problem for "dying" fish, the first thing we look at would be testing for ammonia and nitrite in the water. These are the #1 killers for new fish tanks. Unless there is clear sign of certain known diseases.

Please provide a good photo of your fish if you want a better diagnostic. Smile
06-02-2012, 01:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012, 01:03 AM by The CatDog.)
The CatDog Offline

Threads: 11
Did you figure out what the problems were and if the advice given helped? Instead of going to the big chain stores, find a local shop that only deals in fish. The owners and employees would be a better source of information than a hourly worker that's just watching the clock for lunch.
09-18-2012, 11:54 PM,
Sandra Piddock Offline

Threads: 0
(05-22-2012, 03:07 PM)rwzheng1997 Wrote: I discarded the water that the store gave me, and used only my own water.
ARGH what am i doing wrong??? BangheadBangheadBangheadBanghead

We buy new fish from our local vet/pet store where one of the assistants knows a lot about fish. The first thing she said to us was to keep the fish in the water they provided, and place the bag in the tank, so that the two lots of water mixed and the fish could swim out in its own time. It's not such a shock to the system then.

So that's one thing you're doing wrong. I think you're also rushing things. We were told not to even think of introducing fish to the tank for at least 4 weeks. Maybe before you get any more fish you need to do some research, and talk to an expert. It's not fair to the fish if they only last a day or two, because you can't wait to get the tank conditions right.
09-19-2012, 02:13 PM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(09-18-2012, 11:54 PM)Sandra Piddock Wrote: We buy new fish from our local vet/pet store where one of the assistants knows a lot about fish. The first thing she said to us was to keep the fish in the water they provided, and place the bag in the tank, so that the two lots of water mixed and the fish could swim out in its own time. It's not such a shock to the system then.

So that's one thing you're doing wrong. I think you're also rushing things. We were told not to even think of introducing fish to the tank for at least 4 weeks. Maybe before you get any more fish you need to do some research, and talk to an expert. It's not fair to the fish if they only last a day or two, because you can't wait to get the tank conditions right.

Standard procedure to add new fish into the tank should be adding the tank water little by little into the bag. To let the fish get used to your tank water slowly. Once the bag is too full, get ride of half the water and add more tank water slowly. The whole process should take no less than one hour in my opinion. For some more sensitive fish species, it can take 2~3 hours with less tank water being added into the bag each time and longer wait time between each adding.

For new tanks that had never had fish, we need to do fishless cycle. It can take up to 6~8 weeks, sometimes it's much faster if you do heavy bacteria seeding. Simply "wait" will not do any good.
08-21-2013, 04:03 AM,
cpwebsite Offline

Threads: 1
Well there are several things that could have gone wrong. First what size are you keeping the fish in. Comet's require 55 gallons each for full size (at least), while Shubunkins require 20 gallons for the first one plus 10 gallons for each additional one. Keep that in mind.

Second, when you say the correct amount of starter bacteria, what do you mean? First, most of these starter bacterias do not work at all. Second of all, even if they do work, if you added them and left them for a few weeks, they could have all died out from a lack of ammonia to feed on. If you want to go with bacteria, you need to pick one that works and then add it and add the fish right away, however that's risky. You should just fish-less cycle instead.

The last thing is shock. You need to make sure to introduce the fish slowly. What I do is first put the back in and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I take out 1 tablespoon of water, discard it, and add a tablespoon of water from the aquarium. I keep doing that until the entire volume is replaced, and then I wait a few more minutes before letting the fish enter.

Oh yeah, and also remember that the water you put in the tank should be treated with prime for any potential chemicals.
03-12-2014, 12:52 AM,
TheBrit Offline

Threads: 2
Your goldfish died of white spot and unless you treat the shubunkin with a proprietary white spot remedy quickly it to will die.

White spot (or Ick) as it is called is a stress related problem, endemic to coldwater, tropical and marine fish.

The move from shop to tank can set it off, the fact your tank is still very new with less than optimum water quality probably exasperated the problem.

Once the tank is treated, (Ick treatment is usually copper based) the fish should recover. It would be a good idea to treat the whole tank prophylacticly with a good white spot treatment whenever you introduce new fish, to ensure they remain free of this most common of all fish deseases.
03-12-2014, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM by Ram.)
Ram Offline
VIP Member

(03-12-2014, 12:52 AM)TheBrit Wrote: Your goldfish died of white spot and unless you treat the shubunkin with a proprietary white spot remedy quickly it to will die.

White spot (or Ick) as it is called is a stress related problem, endemic to coldwater, tropical and marine fish.

The move from shop to tank can set it off, the fact your tank is still very new with less than optimum water quality probably exasperated the problem.

Once the tank is treated, (Ick treatment is usually copper based) the fish should recover. It would be a good idea to treat the whole tank prophylacticly with a good white spot treatment whenever you introduce new fish, to ensure they remain free of this most common of all fish deseases.

Nowhere in his post mentioned white spot. Ich also does not kill fish that fast. It usually takes weeks versus his "3 days".

Besides, the white spot disease (ick or ich) is a contagious parasite. There is always a source for it (for example: from a new fish which already carry the parasite in the tank from pet shop). No amount of stress will create a new parasite species out of thin air. Nor the parasite will just go away if the aquarium condition is excellent. Parasite is a parasite, it will reproduce and infect the whole tank from just a few of them. If there is none to begin with, it will probably take millions of years to recreate them through evolution even if you know how.

The last thing a weak fish needs is to use copper based "copper safe" for no reason. Coppersafe is not safe at all. It is very hard on fish. Even healthy fish might be killed by such medication. Use any kind of medication on the first sign of trouble is a very bad decision. Many of the "troubles" are in fact the result of unfavorable aquarium conditions rather than diseases or parasites.

The bottom line is,
1. There is no clear sign of disease.
2. There is no reason to use any medication.
3. Please do not make up "white spot" out of thin air. Your understanding of ick is also quite off. Sorry, no offense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 gallon fish tank fishless cycling Rmctighe 13 6,785 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: MalYoung1
  The ultimate fish tank ? ? Happyflowerlady 2 3,489 08-26-2020, 06:05 AM
Last Post: UnaTurner
  New fish died rather quickly Klyn80 7 2,393 03-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Klyn80
  New Fish Dies in established tank. sri1082 4 6,754 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Ram
  New fish died in a few hours Fishtastic 2 11,618 03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
  Needing Advice on Dying fish jbmysinger 3 3,330 12-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Thor
Thumbs Down Tropical fish are dying! CaitlinD 1 2,895 12-13-2016, 04:47 PM
  Playing with fish lily_lover 3 4,869 10-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Novelangel
  Whаt's а gооd frеshwаtеr fish fоr а bеginnеr tо hаvе а high dеnsity аquаrium? Tom1 0 2,359 08-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Tom1
  Best Fish for Beginners (Kids) CatCuddler57 8 5,697 08-26-2016, 10:49 PM
  Do you fast your aquarium fish? Ram 12 20,868 08-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Last Post: remnant
  Arowana or Dragon fish CatCuddler57 0 1,922 08-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Last Post: CatCuddler57
  Why did my fish die in 3 hours? (Fish bought from walmart) CatCuddler57 6 14,515 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
  What fish would you recommend for a beginner who wants an aquarium? maxen57 10 4,717 07-01-2016, 12:16 AM
  20 gal tank - good mix of community fish ? delta678 26 12,785 06-19-2016, 09:25 PM