LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breed Specific Legislation
07-16-2012, 09:59 AM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
Breed Specific Legislation
Ever heard of BSL? The Breed Specific Legislation is a law which targets specific breeds allowing authorities to ban a specific number of breeds such as the Pit Bull. This also allows them to confiscated dogs who look like such breeds.

One of the most famous BSL story is that of Lennox, an American Bulldog and Labrador Mix who was taken from this family since 2010 and was killed a couple of days ago due to the Belfast City Council's verdict.

This dog did not harm anyone, nor did he bite anyone during his incarceration. However, since they have the BSL wherein they used Lennox's "pit bull" looking characteristics as reference, he was sentenced to death even though he did not do anything wrong.

Are you aware of the BSL? Did you know that in some states Alaskan Malamutes are also listed in the BSL?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2012, 01:33 AM,
Ram Offline
VIP Member

Threads: 247
RE: Breed Specific Legislation
I have never heard of it, but I know of the ban on pit bull. I first heard of it on Facebook when large amount of people were question this ban. Most comments I saw were about why should a dog breed be banned just because of owners' fault. Well I don't have a comment here, since I am not even familiar with dog breeds or related laws.

This dog was killed just because of its breed? Poor dog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-18-2012, 01:29 PM,
haopee Offline

Threads: 91
RE: Breed Specific Legislation
(07-17-2012, 01:33 AM)Ram Wrote: I have never heard of it, but I know of the ban on pit bull. I first heard of it on Facebook when large amount of people were question this ban. Most comments I saw were about why should a dog breed be banned just because of owners' fault. Well I don't have a comment here, since I am not even familiar with dog breeds or related laws.

This dog was killed just because of its breed? Poor dog!

You must check out Lennox's story. He was an American Bulldog and Labrador mix which means he was no Pit Bull. But since he looked like one, he was apprehended by the Belfast City Council and incarcerated for 2 years while his family fought for his custody. This dog did not do anything wrong. Their reason for taking him was that he MIGHT bite someone, but he never did. So basically, he did nothing wrong but he was taken.

In the end, Lennox was euthanized without seeing his family. What's more awful is that the family did their best to make this dog a good canine citizen. He did obedience training. He was neutered and friendly.

Here's the BSL for some US State. Link
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dog breed choice? we love the coonhound and saluki CacciatJocund 4 2,695 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Busbyx
  Favorite breed? janineaa 10 4,642 05-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Last Post: maxen57
  Do I just Have a Hyper Breed? dashboardc33 3 2,026 05-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Last Post: maxen57
  What is your favorite breed of dog? Francy 32 9,955 02-01-2016, 06:16 AM
Last Post: thash1979
  American Indian Dog, an ancient breed. Happyflowerlady 2 2,288 05-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Happyflowerlady
  Which is your favourite breed of dog? Miranda Boldari 5 6,014 12-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Last Post: tierapatt50